Author Topic: How do you solve the post-drink water puddles on the floor?  (Read 4942 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
When Zoey drinks water, she turns her head and spills water/drool all over the floor near the bowl. In our old house we had carpet, and I didn't really worry about it being a little damp near the bowl. But in our new house (we moved a couple weeks ago), we have all hardwood floors, and the spilled water makes them very slippery. It's impossible to dry off the floor everytime she spills (it's just too frequent) and I am worried that Zoey or one of the humans in the house will slip on the wet floor.

I am sure that other drooly dog owners have the same problem. Has anyone thought of a crative solution to the puddly floors?
RIP former BPO

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: How do you solve the post-drink water puddles on the floor?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 09:25:14 pm »
Oh My Gosh!  We totally have that problem here!  I have a barstool next to Leo's water dish that I drape a towel on and when I hear him drinking (its soooo loud) I run in a wipe his mouth as soon as he's finished.  I don't always here him.  Like when I'm in the shower or something so I either move his water dish outside to the porch or just wipe it up as soon as i'm done showering.  It's just something us slobberer owners must deal with I guess.  I have pergo floors too, but I usually am able to keep it dry with the "slobber towel".  However, Leo usually turns the opposite way of me and the towel and I have to throw it down and mop his mess up anyway.  If you don't already have a Swiffer Wet Jet you have to get one!  I use mine constantly to wipe up doggie and kiddie messes and I love it!

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 09:38:27 pm »
I usually have a towel near by, and a rug under the dish. Judge usually drinks from the toilet and I have a towel in there on the floor too. Messy boy but Ive gotten used to it. No on has killed themselves yet. LOL Everyone pretty much knows to watch for the water.
Likely not too much help.  ::)
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 10:55:59 pm »
Bear only did that when he was a baby. Now the water is outside fresh the faucet and he likes it that way. Good luck...and keep lots of towels handy.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 12:29:48 am »
We do the water drool here too. They usually keep it to the kitchen, or the bathroom, wherever they choose to take the drink. Jennifer has done the slide and slip act in the kitchen. She isnt walking, she ALWAYS runs, one day she came jogging into the kitchen, and I heard a schlupp - boooom and a cry, her legs had gone straight up and she landed on her butt, and ouch....... it hurt. I try to wipe up the spill in the kitchen, but like you say, sometimes it is hard to keep up with all the drinking, especially with 4 of them. I dont know what it is about the toilet but Galahad who is the one who likes to drink there, doesnt slobber as much there as in kitchen.

I like the swiffer too, both the dry and wet, well I like all mops and cloths and towels hehe I think I could run one wash a day with only towels.

So no real advice here either, just try and live with it, and get used to the idea that your children will grow up remembering you with a vacuum and a mop constantly stuck to you  ;D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Jerry

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 08:51:19 am »
I'm in the process of training Josh to wipe off his own drool.  I've got him to the point now where I can hold out a towel and say "drool" and he will grab the towel in his mouth and shake his head.  He gets rewarded with a "good boy" or occasionally a treat.

Next step is to get him to do it without being commanded.  That is to get him to grab a towel off the rack after he drinks. 

Next step after that is to get him to do the laundry....  ;D

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 09:19:20 am »
For some reason, I hadn't thought of putting an area rug where her bowl is (it's a pretty obvious choice, but when you just move there's too much going on to think about everything). After reading that two of you guys have rugs under your bowls I realized thats deffinately what I should do. I don't worry about damp feet, just falling (Zoey's daddy already has a bad ankle, and with her hips and all). So an area rug it is!

Thanks guys.
RIP former BPO

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2005, 05:18:45 pm »
We have a thin carpet/mat in front of the water bowl since that is where 95 percent of the post drink drool ends up.

Of course as I write this, Oreo has just drooled all over my computer keyboard. I guess that accounts for the other 5 percent.

Jason

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2005, 07:00:26 pm »
Interesting post, guys!  Thanks for sharing!  :)
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner