Author Topic: Body -checking question?  (Read 2961 times)

Offline My Friend Joey

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kuvasz/Pyr
    • View Profile
Body -checking question?
« on: September 01, 2006, 04:37:57 am »
Does anyone out there have a dog that will run up and body-check them when playing, or in greeting. My dog Joey does it to me and my husband with his chest...runs for us and kind of bounces off us but it's just a little scarey when you see a 100 pound, big, white fluffy thing charging up to you....and its even more fun with friends...not, LOL ;D. Nothing about it is vicious, just happy and playfull on his part, but obviously, potentially dangerous. Has anyone else out there had this experience with their dog or puppy?
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." ~Unknown

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
Re: Body -checking question?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 04:45:25 am »
Jazmine has learned that if she is on my bed she is eye level with me.. so when i come home she thinks that i can "catch" 112 lb. puppy as she launches off my bed...and i run for cover! lol... well not run, but defintly get out of the way
Lauren, Jazmine (great dane)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Shirly and baldamore (geckos)
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Oh yeah.. my pet.. Matt (hubby)
Our pets are all above

Offline My Friend Joey

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kuvasz/Pyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 05:00:49 am »
Thanks Tina, I'll try. The tricky part is he starts it from farther away...and then I see him coming and usually my reaction,(before thinking), is to holler Joeyyyyyyyyyyy ....turn my back and brace myself for contact. ;) I know I'm not doing well on that score  :-[
Joey will also do that "hug" thing you are talking about. He will quite gently rise up on his back legs and put his feet on my shoulders, to nuzzle me and lick my face. He will even do it when I am walking in front of him and walk with me while hanging onto my shoulders...it looks absurd...LOL.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." ~Unknown

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 05:39:30 am »
Apolo had that bad habit as well...and was teaching Onyx. *yikes*

While it's cute to see them so happy to see us, and I want my pups to be affectionate, I'm disabled, and a bunch of my friends are my size or smaller, so we needed to nip this little habit in the butt, so to speak. My trainer suggested several things, all of which seem to be doing the trick. Here we go...

First, do not get excited to see the dogs. (Weird, I know.) Keep body posture and voice levels calm and dispassionate.

Do not *appear* to pay any attention to the dog as it approaches. Any attention you grant will be after the dog sits quietly and patiently for it's "reward" of affection and praise.

If the dog "charges" or prepars to launch at you, Raise you knee to their chest level. As they jump, deflect their body with your knee. Don't jab at them or push at them, the knee is simply there to ensure that their body does not make full contact with yours. This will help you maintain your balance and control the situation. (Apollo will wrap his legs around your waist when he jumps, so the result is, he'll take you down with him...the giant meathead!)

Issue the command of Sit when they approach, once they complete the appropriate behavior, only then do you greet them, maintaining a calm tone.

I've got to say, I was a little leary of standing there like a flamingo while a freight train (read: dog) collides with my body, but amazingly enough, it works like a charm. They don't get hurt, and I am not flying through the air like a kite!! We've been trying this for a couple of weeks now, and I've seen a marked change in their behavior already.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 05:52:57 am »
Our family and friends had that problem with Angus as well. Luckily we stopped the behaviour before he reached 100 lbs!! WhenI got home from work he was wicked excited to see me, and would charge right at me. What I done was completely ignore him untill I was ready to greet him. He ran at me, jumped up etc... and I just completely ignored him. Hung up my coat, took of my shoes, walked right by him without even a glance. He by chance he sat down, I quickly got to his level and praised him and petted him and gave him a treat. He learned that sitting was the fastest way to get my, or anyone elses attention. When company came to the house, they crossed thier arms and payed no attention to him until he was sitting. But again he wasn't 100 lbs., it would be much harder to hang up my coat etc... with a 100 lb. dog hanging off my back!!

Offline My Friend Joey

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kuvasz/Pyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 08:27:13 am »
Great information, I'm going to try deflecting Joey with my knee and I will try the other techniques of ignoring too when he is too excited. I sure have noticed that staying calm around him helps with him not getting carried away...he seems to mirror exactly my feelings, (well, not always, but a lot of the time). Thanks everybody. It's comforting to know that there are other dogs that body-check too. I guess it's affection in extreme! LOL  :)
Georgi