Author Topic: grooming  (Read 5279 times)

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
grooming
« on: September 01, 2006, 04:37:26 pm »
Webster has run thru the brambles and he's run thru the bushes.  He had a great time, BUT,  Now he has massive knots from all the sticktites and briars.  I have most of them out, but cannot get the ones in his "pantaloons".  He has been very good about grooming, but just won't tolerate using a dematter or rake on that area.  Any ideas.  Would some benadryl something make him sleepy enough to "knock the edge off" so I can demat him myself?
Karen

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
Re: grooming
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 10:16:47 am »
does anyone have any suggestions for me?
Karen

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 10:29:02 am »
Can you give him something to eat or chew on while you try to get the mats out? Can you try to slowly and gently untangle them with your hands? If you have to, you may need to cut them out. If so, it's okay, the hair will grow back in no time. Sometimes cutting is the only option. Anything else might hurt him too much. Cut a little bit of it off at a time so it won't look like a huge chunk of fur is missing. Good luck!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 12:56:59 pm »
You could sprinkle corn starch heavily onto the area, and work it in good and try combing it out, and if that doesn't get it, make cuts carefully at 90* to the skin, and it will all comb out from there without looking choppy.

Weedsport, NY

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 04:01:24 am »
Thanks everyone.  I tried a combination of all of the above and got mats out without drugs!
Karen