Author Topic: Kingsley and his crate  (Read 2135 times)

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Kingsley and his crate
« on: September 01, 2006, 05:00:42 pm »
Kingsley loves his crate. But I'm starting to think he does a little too much. As soon as the sun sets, if Justin or I even start to walk down the hall, he zips in front of us and goes into his crate. And that's where he stays. Nothing will get him out, not even a trail of treats. He also refuses to look at us or Laika. It doesn't even matter if he's obviously not tired at all. Tonight him and Laika were in the middle of hyper-mode when I went to the bedroom to put on a sweater. I looked over and there was Kingsley, huddled in his crate, and that's where he still is. Once Justin and I fall asleep, he gets out and sleeps by the door, but if we wake up he goes right back to his crate, without us telling him to. If it's early in the morning when we wake up, we have to say "Good morning!" to get him out, but if it's after 7 or so he'll be waiting at the foot of the bed, staring at us.

So I guess my question is...Is this normal? Do any of your dogs love their crates THIS much? Is this even a good behavior? I keep getting nervous because I don't know if even an emergency would get him out of that crate...
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline LMT

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Kingsley and his crate
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 10:58:04 am »
I've never had any of my pups love the crate that much. However, I wouldn't over-think it. It's Kingsley's den and he should feel comfortable there - especially as a haven away from his younger sis. I wonder what everone else will have to say about this... 
lmt.

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 11:20:38 am »
My rotti who is male and 19 months old loves his crate as well as Kingsley.  When he goes outside he runs right to his crate when he gets back in.  He goes there to escape our newf as well.  Its his haven.  He must feel safe and secure there or he wouldn't like it so much.  Our newf won't just go to her crate when told to like my rotti.  All I have to do is say "bed" to my rot and he knows to go to his crate.  My newf looks at me and walks the other way as if to say forget it lady.  Once she is in there though she likes it and gets comfy.
I think that it is good that Kingsley feels so safe in his crate, better than fighting to get him to get in I guess.  I guess you could tip it from the back in case of an emergency to get him out, I don't know.  My rotti will come out if I offer him treats, but they ahve to be good ones or forget it.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 06:17:00 am »
Glad to hear it's not just Kingsley. I've seen dogs who love their crates, but to not come out for a treat?! He's the first.
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret