Author Topic: Help! Any suggestions for excited accidents?  (Read 4782 times)

Offline bocephus

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Help! Any suggestions for excited accidents?
« on: June 19, 2005, 03:28:19 pm »

Our black lab / coonhound is 6 months old. He was a very quick learner during potty training, it only took about a week. BUT...whenever someone comes over, or if we are out for a couple of hours and come home, he gets so excited that he squirts on the floor. Does anyone have any suggestions or is this something he just needs to grow out of?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 03:30:32 pm by bocephus »

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Any suggestions for excited accidents?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 03:34:22 pm »
It is soo funny that you mention that because Bear had a few accidents too when he was a little pup. Something about not being able to contain himself made him go nuts!  ;) We just punished him by telling him "no" and then putting him outside the sliding glass window. That was more than enough punishment for him because he hates his feelings getting hurt and he quickly learned to not do it anymore. Good luck!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

nickerbokker

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 03:38:51 pm »
BEAR IS A VERY SENSITIVE SNOB YOU SEE....

we all know, or if you dont yet you will know soon, that i am not great with dogs.  my dogs are pretty hyper, and im okaky with it because i figure as long as they are bouncing off the walls, they arent dead....so...n ot so much how other raise their pets....HOWEVE R, i had a dog tyler who peed inside (accidents only, totally house trained otherwise) until he was 3 and died.  whenever ANYONE including us walked into a room, he let loose LOL.....so not much help i guess.

have fun!  your puppy is sooooo cute

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 03:43:20 pm »
He is a snob I admit, but how could he not be? He is sooo beautiful (IMO) and has been told so his entire life of almost 3 years so of course he is a little full of himself. And yes, he is so babied that his feelers get hurt easily. Then again, if you were a hansome lover and not a fighter you would be the exact same way. My boy is protective when he needs to be but he is the most lovable, slobbery, giant poofball anywhere.
And Nicks, at least he doesn't try to eat other people..which yes does mean they are alive and kickin'. Although they are crazy and hyper I love them just the same.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline bocephus

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 07:23:24 am »
Thanks everyone!! We have been entering very low key and he seems to have gotten a little better. We had a BBQ this weekend and it seems like he only got "too" excited and had little accidents when he saw kids for the first time. Hopefully, we're on the right track and the "accidents" will be gone soon!!

Thanks again!!

jen

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 05:42:50 pm »
 ;D  Just tell the accident to calm down.  ;D ;)
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline bocephus

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 07:39:13 pm »
LOL  :D  I never thought of that!! 

Offline shurepetsgirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Pet Parties
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 07:51:18 pm »
I had the same problem when mine was a pup. The down play is the best and don't make a big deal out of cleaning up the mess either. Ask your guests to ignor him when first entering your house and he will soon grow out of it  ;D
Valerie Twombly
Shure Pets Consultant #0292
Choose a job you love and you will
never have to work a day in your life!
www.petparties .biz
shurepetsgirl@yahoo.com

Offline Daffodil

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 08:01:04 am »
I have a beagle mix who still has this problem, although it's MUCH less common now. I'd also like to add the suggestion that you avoid all eye contact with the dog when you first get home, until you get the dog outside.  The reason is that eye contact is sometimes taken by a dog as you being dominant, and a proper doggy response is to piddle-dee-dee just a bit, to show submission.

Good luck!

Daffodil