Author Topic: Thinking about switching dog foods again  (Read 4507 times)

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Thinking about switching dog foods again
« on: August 26, 2006, 05:36:46 pm »
Hey everyone. Being on BPO for a little while has finally opened my eyes to a lot of new things, especially learning about what makes a dog food nutricious for your dog. So after some thought, I think I want to switch my girls to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul Large Breed Adult formula. But I haven't had any experience with it at all, so I had some questions first. What does it run price-wise normally? What sizes of bags do they sell? Does anyone have any good or bad reports about it? Let me know. Thanks guys!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about switching dog foods again
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 07:54:51 am »
I don't know much about it, except Iman's Mom likes it, and Longshadowfarm s warns against it. If I had to go kibble, I'd go Fromms, Natures Variety Raw Instinct, or Innove Evo, depending on your philosophy regarding the need for veg/fruit, etc. in the diet. I beieve there are some good threads that had good discussion on various brands.

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 08:11:59 am »
 i havent used it for my dog, but i do use the cat food. the ingredients are very good. and my cats have done well on it. after buying it for my cats, i did consider switching my dog to it too. i think the reason i didnt is because the particular place i buy it at didnt carry the dog food for large breed dogs. also, i think the protein level might have been a bit higher than what i currently feed my dog (solid gold). 
 from what ive read about chicken soup, they do have good ingredients for their dog food and ive heard some good things about it, but sorry, i dont have any first hand experience with their dog food.
Leah

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 03:23:55 pm »
Thanks for you help you guys. I'd like to know why some people are unhappy with it.
Marissa

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 03:48:31 pm »
Yes, I was also aware of the contamination thing. It was very sad. Let's just hope something like that does not happen again. Thanks for your input!
Marissa

SA_horses

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 03:57:35 pm »
it was a problem in the corn processing plant

I understand that there was also a problem with rice being contaminated.  http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,12121.15.html  (It's the last post.)

Sofia

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 01:13:26 pm »
I have tried a thousand brands of dog food, fed raw for over a year and am now feeding kibble again.  Currently Hugo and his little poodles siblings are now eating Nutro small bites lite and wellness weight management.  I do mix a small spoonfull of canned proplan, nutro, wellness, chicken soup/pet lovers soul, etc with the dry.  Hugo and the poodles do better when they are eating a weight management/lite food and also one that is corn-free. 
Shellie
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline skipper

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 06:38:30 pm »
 ???   First time I heard that news about "Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul"  being anything but among the greatest of dog food brands.  I don't remember where I originally read it, but it was a Internet web site that gave rankings of dog food by unbiased "experts."  Anyway, we use Breeders Choice Pinnacle and Avoderm, and saw these two references recently at the site we buy from:

http://www.snoozer-dog-beds.com/Dog%20Food/Dog%20and%20Cat%20Food.htm

that refers to two unbiased sources on the Internet for recommendation s:  Whole Dog Journal and Good Dog Magazine:

"Are some brands really better than others?  Is Premium Dog Food Really Better? Yes to both, and it's also less expensive in the long run to feed premium food.  Why? You use less of the Premium over time, for greater nutritional value, and in the end, save money. You also have less poop to clean up. Premium saves you money and time. See the details here:   Good Dog Magazine. * "

The reference and link to whole dog journal is here:

http://www.snoozer-dog-beds.com/Dog%20Food/BreedersChoiceDogandCatFood.htm

Whole Dog Journal gets a lot of positive comments at other posts on this community site.