Author Topic: Boy, did WE get in trouble!!! Attack Newfoundlands!  (Read 5627 times)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Boy, did WE get in trouble!!! Attack Newfoundlands!
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2006, 05:31:38 am »
Wow I probably would have smacked her.  I hate when people are so determined to be ignorant about something like that.  And she obviously wasn't too scared if she came over to yell at you.  It'd be one thing if she said could you please hold the dogs while I go inside cause I'm afraid of dogs but another to say they're a menace to society.  I think schools should have to do a pet education class.  You should approach the principal and ask if you could do a dog safety demo.  If my two were better behaved I'd do it.

BTW Stella that is too funny about your furkids resisting arrest. Hahaha
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

k2campbell

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2006, 05:59:13 am »
Sounds like that lady could use a good swift kick in the arse.  What a loser!  I understand that some people are scared of dogs, whether it be from a previous attack/bite or whatever - but they have to realize that just because one dog hurt them, doesn't mean every dog will.  I was bit as a child by a GSD.  Even though they are such beautiful dogs, they still scare me (just a little bit), but I would never think because one GSD bit me - they all will...

And I could see how scary it would be for her to see Chester and Cowboy lounging around, my goodness - I'd be running for my life!!!  Ha ha - just kidding of course.  I think some people are scared of "bigger" dogs in general.  When we had our Rotti Slater (he was 146 lbs) people would deliberately cross the street to avoid passing him on walks, and he was the biggest suck ever.

I'm guessing she was just being over-protective of the kids, and was worried about her own arse being on the line should anything happen to the kids.  Regardless, her extremely over-reactive behaviour (and reference to Steve Irwin) were uncalled for...

SA_horses

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2006, 06:35:16 am »
I reminded her that we were all tax-payers and that as such, she didn't own the land and THERE WAS NOT ANOTHER SOUL AROUND FOR A MILE!!!!  And then she had the nerve to say ...."Well, I'm here!!"

ARGGGHHHH!

:o

Forget my second thoughts.  Some people...::)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2006, 07:00:42 am »
I have been racking my brains why this lady would be so scared of Cowboy and Chester and I finally figured it out.  She wasn't scared of Cowboy it was all Chester.  She was bent over weeding something or picking something up with her butt in the air facing Chester!  She saw the gleam in his eye as he saw the flag of challenge waving him in the face.  Tell me I'm right?  It has to be it.   ;D
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

GR8DAME

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2006, 08:05:03 am »
Once more, Newflvr, you showed much more restraint then I.

Re-Steve Irwin, I didn't know that stingrays were an issue in the fields of CA.

Re-canine -vs- human, congratulation s on your astute jugdement. I can see you are perfectly suited to teach in a alternative school.

Re- fear, I understand that there are councelors that are equiped to assist you with your paranoia.

But that is just me, being nasty, LOL.

Stella

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2006, 08:32:03 am »
I have been racking my brains why this lady would be so scared of Cowboy and Chester and I finally figured it out.  She wasn't scared of Cowboy it was all Chester.  She was bent over weeding something or picking something up with her butt in the air facing Chester!  She saw the gleam in his eye as he saw the flag of challenge waving him in the face.  Tell me I'm right?  It has to be it.   ;D

LOL!!!  SO TRUE!!!  That Chester is a demon when it comes to weed pulling and I'm sure this woman, with her superior knowledge of biology, recognized this rare breed of billy-goat, butt-heading Newfoundland!  They ARE rare, but do exist in nature!!

We just home from our Therapy work this morning and I couldn't help but chuckle at big ole Cowboy, the vicious dog that he is, laying his head so gently in the laps of the frail old people, laying down at the feet of tiny children so he wouldn't look so big and just generally, over-all being a truly frightening dog !!!

Modified to add a picture of a truly frightening Newfoundland:  run if you see him!! ::)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 08:50:22 am by newflvr »

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2006, 01:35:32 pm »
I'm so sorry you had to deal with that ignoramus.

And sorry, being a biology teacher doesn't mean you have a biology degree or know crap about animal behavior.  In fact, my high school biology teacher was barely competent.

I might have the gall to go complain to the principal that one of his teachers was harassing you and causing emotional distress to your dogs.

I agree that if she was truly concerned for everyone's safety and was scared herself, she should have had someone else go and speak with you.

I really hate people like that, but unfortunately they appear to be growing in numbers exponentially (sp?).

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2006, 01:54:23 pm »
Are you kidding me if she had seen that picture she would be traumatized for life.  That boy is flaunting all safety protocols.  He might ooze down the stairs and slide over someone or drool in someone's eye as they come up the stairs.  The horror of it all!  Oh the humanity! 

You need to get a vest for Chester that says "Be afraid, be very afraid.  Rare billy-goat, butt-head Newfoundland!"  That ought to keep that teacher away.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2006, 03:02:45 pm »
I agree that if she was truly concerned for everyone's safety and was scared herself, she should have had someone else go and speak with you.

Idiot she was.....but no one else could have spoken for her since there was nobody there but us!  and she drove across the lawn to her classroom and we were on the baseball field.  If you could have seen her driving across the parking lot, up the driveway and on to the parking lot next to the field in her big SUV with the windows down about 2 inches to scream at us you would have laughed.  I really couldn't believe the whole thing!  Did you know that Newfs and full grown Dobies can leap in to SUV's with their windows down four inches and kill the people in them on the spot??!! 

I'm still thinking about going in to the principal on Monday just because she was SUCH a fool and that big a fool shouldn't be teaching kids how to tie their shoes, never mind biology!!! :P