Author Topic: How about this theory?  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
How about this theory?
« on: September 11, 2006, 09:11:09 am »
I know that you are always suppose to switch dog foods slowly, but it seems to that a dog should be able to eat anything at anytime.  Domesticated dogs were  always given scraps, so what is potatoes and carrots one night can become a ham bone the next.

So it seems to me that you could (or should) feed your dog something different everynight in order to make it a more gastricly hearty.  So his body can adjust quickly to different enviornments.  I don't know that keeping  a couple of different foods would be a pain, we do it for ourselves.  And I don't mean completely different, just different combinations.

Does anyone do this now?

Nicole

Re: How about this theory?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 09:57:27 am »
Well, although I don't do it every night, I do like to switch Cabeza's food up. I never do it slowly, and he's never had a problem. I've always thought the same thing, a dog should be able to handle switching quickly.

However, I know that some dogs have sensitive tummies and it does pose a problem for those dogs to switch quickly. So, who knows. Maybe its an individual thing.

Offline Boyle

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 10:02:09 am »
Nola had one of those sensitive tummies.  When he was on kibble and we switched his food too quickly, he really had an explosive rear-end.  Mastiff with runny bum...BAD.  Maybe it's a kibble thing because he's now on raw food and we switch off between pork, lamb and beef at each meal without any problems. 

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 10:46:56 am »
We change proteins, too, every meal and the Newfs do fine with it.  They get chicken, lamb, turkey, salmon, venison or buffalo and sometimes they get eggs.  So far so good!

I've been sort of working on the 'change is good' theory too.  Kibble seems to be much more difficult for them to change.  We've had problems doing that.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 01:53:07 pm »
I'm of the same opinion.  I like to give mine a wide variety of stuff since I think it helps them nutritionally also.  I have been feeding Merrick wet food on top of their kibble and am looking at adding in another kibble with different proteins into their original kibble.  So far they haven't had any problems but we are still working through the sample packages of innova, solid gold, etc.  I also add different "table scraps" to their food on a regular basis. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 03:40:11 pm »
Occasionally I will mix in some scambled egg or vegies with Lucahs Solid Gold kibble.  Last night he got a treat of some wet food, but that seemed like it might have been too rich this morning on the lawn

*****(it's funny as I type this Lucah is laying next to me asleep.  I didn't even realize he was there...they are so loyal)***

but anyway...I think when he gets older I want to mix up his food with all sorts of good things. 

I am one of the biggest proponents of dogs not being people, but I just feel they have to like some sort of variation.  It also will help me to feel closer to him since I have to take a very active roll in his diet.  I know it is real easy to find one food that works and just stick with it, but it seems to me that mixing the diet will keep me even more involved with my boy.  And hopefully it will help keep him around for as long as possible.  :D

Kiahpyr

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 03:44:45 pm »
It does sound good if your dog can tolerate it. Kiah has a very sensitive tummy that rich foods make her puke. I finally found a food that works after months of trying. We do give her some bland people food. Maybe once she's older we can try different foods. It's just so hard to switch cause cleaning up after them is icky!