Author Topic: QUICK! I need help!  (Read 4804 times)

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
QUICK! I need help!
« on: September 12, 2006, 02:45:01 pm »
  last night at work i found a dog running around the street and parking lot. since it was late, i went ahead and took her home with me. she is the nicest dog ever. really friendly and laid back. she doesnt have any collar/ tags on. we are going to put an ad in the newspaper about her tomorrow and hopefully if she has owners, then we will find them. she doesnt look or act like a stray but who knows? shes tan and black. about 40 pounds. i already love her. she has one floppy ear that is always doing something different than the other one. its really cute. unfortunately though, she seems fearful of my golden retriever. when we tried to introduce them, she seemed afraid and barked and growled a little, and literally tried to climb up my leg. so for now, we are keeping the two sperated which is kind of a pain in the butt. if we dont find an owner i would LOVE LOVE LOVE to keep her and i think hubby would be okay with that. but she HAS to get along with my other dog or else it just wont be possible. so, tell me this, how hard is it to get a dog to overcome their fear of other dogs. what can i do to try to get them to get along? any suggestions? this is a GREAT dog. hopefully she has owners out looking for her and that we will find them. but if not, i want her. my golden is twice as big as her and he is pretty excitable. but all he wants to do is play with her.
so ,tell me guys, what can i do to help this dog accept my dog? any advice?
 THANKS,
  lEAH

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: QUICK! I need help!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 02:56:49 pm »
First thing I would do is run your golden down a little.  His excitement over a potential playmate may be overwhelming her especially since she sounds afraid.  If she got loose from her owners and has been wandering around she is probably scared in your environment.  Make sure no food is around to cause any aggression issues over food.  Also slowly introduce them through dog gates.  That way they can see and smell each other but can retreat if they need to.  When Barrett was a puppy and I introduced him to Cassie and Betty he would scream bloody murder while standing between my legs.  So we went very slowly and increased the intro time lengths only when he was comfortable and also ran the girls until they were tired out.  I'm sure that they will get along fine once she has settled in if you keep her.  Hope this helps and sorry about the novel. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 03:01:12 pm »
  thanks for the advice. i will try taking my dog on a nice long walk, and then introducing them thru gates. i'll keep my fingers crossed!
  Leah :)

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 03:03:03 pm »
Try introducing them through a fence or gate, like was said. She'll get used to him eventually, if you get to keep her!  ;) Dolly was a little overwhelmed by Zoey when we first brought her home, but we had them get to know each other through the fence first and then slowly left them together til now they are inseparable! She'll get over her fear. She's been running loose, who knows how long and is probably just scared of everything. Can't wait to see pics of her! I hope she has a good home, whether it's with you or an owner who's missing her.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."