Author Topic: Woman arrested for saving dying dog...read please...  (Read 14375 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

Woman arrested for saving dying dog...read please...
« on: September 13, 2006, 06:25:00 am »
Will you guys send some letters to the powers that be on this case?
This is an absolute outrage :'(

http://www.dogsdeservebetter.com/doogie.html
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 06:29:49 am by Gypsy Jazmine »

Nicole

Re: Woman arrested for saving dying dog...read please...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 06:25:59 am »
Gyps,
Re-post the link, but underneath the text box, click "Additional Options" and then click "Don't use Smileys".

Nicole

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 06:32:02 am »
Gyps,
Re-post the link, but underneath the text box, click "Additional Options" and then click "Don't use Smileys".

Nicole
Darn..I did it again  :o I fixed it...Thanks Nicole :-*

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 06:52:23 am »
It would be cool if something like the Today Show got ahold of this story.  I wonder how you could that?  I'll have to work on it when I get home.  This is pathetic.  I wonder if she could charge the chief with threatening her, even though he didn't say it directly to her?
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 06:54:52 am »
I think "Chief Reilly" just peed on a livewire, animal lovers are going to hang this jerk, that is a very compelling story.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 08:23:19 am »
The email forwarding has begun!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 08:43:00 am »

Hello,

I just watched the video of "Doogie". What a sin that is! Then I read the woman that was helping him went to jail with a 50 K bond? Seriously?! People that rob liquor stores with guns get less of a bail than that. Doogie needed someone to care about him, cause obviously his owners who left him starving, hurting and alone and the end of a chain don't care two ways about him!! People like Tammy should be given awards, not prosecuted. When everyone else says "Not my problem" she actually cares enough to do something to help an animal in distress.

Krystal

</TD

« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 05:02:47 am by Krystal_00 »
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 08:58:47 am »
http://www.wtajtv.com/news/local/3905351.html

The Mirror article the page is referring to:
http://www.altoonamirror.com/News/articles.asp?articleID=4757

I'm a little torn on what to believe now, I don't like dogs being chained, can't stand it actually, but it seems to be acceptable in a lot of places.  But if the dog was that old.. ahh I don't know.. tough call.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 09:05:56 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 09:12:22 am »
http://www.wtajtv.com/news/local/3905351.html

The Mirror article the page is referring to:
http://www.altoonamirror.com/News/articles.asp?articleID=4757

I'm a little torn on what to believe now, I don't like dogs being chained, can't stand it actually, but it seems to be acceptable in a lot of places.  But if the dog was that old.. ahh I don't know.. tough call.

Sorry but it's still wrong! The dog was old is even worse, the poor thing lies there for days because he's to weak and old to get up. That doesn't make it ok.

eta: and I think those people are absolutely horrible and should never ever own a pet!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 09:14:19 am by dober_gurl »
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 09:23:40 am »
I'm just saying we don't know all the facts, just the opinion of the person arrested.  I'm slow to judge until I know the whole story, just weird that way I guess. I don't know for sure that the dog was lying there for days suffering, other than the lady arrested said a neighbor told her that.

Point in case, when our lab had cancer, she was responding suprisingly well to the chemo, or so we thought, and then one day she couldn't walk.  The vet thought, or Hoped like heck , that it could have been tick paralysis.  We used a towel sling to help her get around and kept her cleaned up, she was a mess, but she seemed to be getting the function of her legs back, we were very hopeful. But Alas, one day her back legs were just totally immobile and she was obviously scared and hurting, and we determined that the cancer was just too agressive even though she was getting the strongest type of chemo, it spread faster than the chemo killed it and affected her mobility.
Anyways.. during this week, we had a suffering / lame dog on our back deck, if someone didn't know the story they would think we were abusing her and were cruel.  When the vet came to put her to sleep we were bawling even the vet and his brother were crying, she was just the best danged dog ever.  If someone would have stolen her during this time, I would have been very upset.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 09:24:58 am by brandon »

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 09:35:47 am »
So the question of abuse is still up in the air.  But I still want to know where was the humane society?  Why did it take them so long to respond that these neighbors had to call another organization?  They could have at least returned the call and said someone would be out as soon as they could.

I think her bail was so high because she wouldn't give the dog back.

GR8DAME

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 09:37:44 am »
I am torn as well. On one hand I have an old dog, and on a bad day she is crippled up with arthritis in her hips despite her medication and looks abused, but the good days still outnumber the bad and I am holding on to her.
On the other hand I fight with MY personal conviction that chaining any dog outside is wrong, and cruelty in itself, much less when the dog is old and disabled...
I think the penalty seemed severe for someone who was trying to help, but since she is still withholding the dog's whereabouts from the legal owners, I have misgivings about that too.
I agree with Brandon, this is far from a black or white issue.
Stella
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 09:39:39 am by GR8DAME »

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 09:43:47 am »
But why would someone leave there paralized dog outside when no one is home? If my dog were like that I'd keep it in the house(even if it was doing well) just in case! I wouldn't want something to hurt it, because it can't move.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 09:50:29 am »
Brandon, you have some good points there. We don't know all the facts. There are a lot of times when a dog might look abused but not actually be abused. For example, I think several of us have been through something like this- our dog drops some weight because of boarding or intestinal issues or stress, and next thing we know our neighbors are threatening to call animal control on us if we don't start feeding our dog! :o Danes in particular have a knack for looking underfed!

YES- the question is- WHERE WAS ANIMAL CONTROL?? Where were the humane officers?? They should have been there to do their job! 

And I agree her bail was probably that high because she didn't follow police orders! At that point she probably could have done a lot more good if she had released the dog. Then the police would not be so inclined to fight against her and punish her...

The whole situation sucks pretty bad. I hope Doogie is ok, wherever he is now. :-[

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 09:57:43 am »
You got a point there, Even if circumstances were that you couldn't bring him in the house, they could have least of set up a bed for him.  If he has arthritis it would have helped his old bones to lay on something soft, instead of laying in the dirt.  When our sheltie was getting on in age and had arthritis problems, he loved his bed, and loved to be covered up at night, Melissa even got him a little electric blanket for him, he was a happy camper all snuggled up. 

But why would someone leave there paralized dog outside when no one is home? If my dog were like that I'd keep it in the house(even if it was doing well) just in case! I wouldn't want something to hurt it, because it can't move.