Author Topic: Food amounts  (Read 3269 times)

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
Food amounts
« on: September 14, 2006, 06:29:34 am »
I feed Lucah Solid Gold Wolf Cub about 4 and a half cups of food a day.  He is about 45 lbs and seems lean.

I wanted to know how a dog tells you if he wants more food.  Judging from the chart on the bag he is getting the correct amount.  But everyone has been telling me that a big dog will eat many cups a day. 

So am I feeding him enough?  When should I increase the amounts?

Offline ozzysma

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Food amounts
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 06:42:35 am »
not an expert but i would go by the bag as long as he is healthy and your vet says he looks good each visit. im sure the amount will increse with size.  amounts im sure vary from brand and you are feeding a very good brand so it may seem less to some people who use a less quality food.

Offline Boyle

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 07:02:09 am »
You probably notice that Lucah goes through lean and not-so-lean stages since he is growing so quickly.  If he is looking too lean and you easily see his ribs, then give him more food!  He's a big pup, he'll find places to put that extra food.  I don't remember what amounts we fed Nola as a little pup, but when we stopped feeding Nola kibble (about 8-10 months of age) he was up to about 8-10 cups a day. 

Is Cub a puppy formula?  You need to be careful with puppy formulas and giant breeds.  If they are getting more than about 24% protein, that is too much.  The advise we were given when Nola was a puppy was to get off puppy food immediately and go directly to adult food.  The protein level in adult formula is lower than puppy formula.  A puppy can grow too quickly and wind up with joint problems. 

Good luck

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 08:58:05 am »
You probably notice that Lucah goes through lean and not-so-lean stages since he is growing so quickly.  If he is looking too lean and you easily see his ribs, then give him more food!  He's a big pup, he'll find places to put that extra food.  I don't remember what amounts we fed Nola as a little pup, but when we stopped feeding Nola kibble (about 8-10 months of age) he was up to about 8-10 cups a day. 

Is Cub a puppy formula?  You need to be careful with puppy formulas and giant breeds.  If they are getting more than about 24% protein, that is too much.  The advise we were given when Nola was a puppy was to get off puppy food immediately and go directly to adult food.  The protein level in adult formula is lower than puppy formula.  A puppy can grow too quickly and wind up with joint problems. 

Good luck

Cub is a large breed puppy formula.  It has 26% protein.  Is that 2% too much?  He seems to like it I would hate to have to switch him out ofr 2%.  What do you think?

His breeder had him on Great Life, which is an excellent food.  The only problem is its is too  hard to find and crazy expensive.  About $70 for the 40lb bag.  So we found wolf cub after much searching.

Offline Boyle

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 10:16:40 am »
I went back through my old stuff for the information I received and couldn't find anything other than comments stating that extra 1-2% could pose a problem but nothing to support those statements.  I was such a freak when Nola was a little puppy, I didn't take the chance and kept the protein under 24% and the fat near 12%.  I cannot find the info on calium but Nola didn't receive any type of calium supplements. 

From what I have read, large breed puppy foods are made for dogs that will top out around 100 lbs, not for enormous beasties which can surpass 200 lbs. 

What does your breeder say about the puppy formula and the percentages?  I used to bombard my breeder constantly with questions. 

Sorry I couldn't find a more definitive answer for you. 

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 06:56:15 pm »
Wow! I feel so silly. I didn't realize 2% was so important.  Now my problem is that the wolf king is doesn't say what the calcium levels are...which is really annoying.

The breeder has been telling me Great Life is good, but there are plenty of other foods out there that are also good.  She has always gone with Great Life, and never had any issues. 

I guess I will go back to researching... luckily this bag of solid gold is almost done.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 08:22:22 am by pmjohnosn99 »