Author Topic: tips for a long car trip?  (Read 4194 times)

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
tips for a long car trip?
« on: September 23, 2006, 01:47:19 pm »
My aunt. Mack and I are hitchin up and heading back to British Columbia for my grandparents 50th (50th?!!? whoa!!) wedding anniversary. From where we live now, to where we are going is about 14 hours give or take. We are driving in an SUV, with the seats down so Mack will have the whole back to himself(lucky!!) Any tips for making this a good trip? We are taking 2 days to get there (found a hotel that will allow a st bernard!!) driving around 9 hours in the first day. We got him some new bones and toys to play with.

what tips can you give us for a good trip?
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

k2campbell

Re: tips for a long car trip?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 04:11:24 pm »
A road trip - how fun, especially with the pooch!!! ;D

It's kind of hard to give tips, as I've heard many different dog-road-trip stories, and have found that every dog is different.  For example, our Kate falls to sleep in the car as soon as we hit highway speed.  She would sleep for hours!  But when we're driving 60 km's or less (in town, etc.) she has her head out the window, enjoying the fresh air ::)

Advice I would give is to stop about every 2 hrs or so for a pee break, also depends how much water Mack drinks.  You've stated you have bones and toys for him - good, I'm guessing keeping him busy will keep him happy!  We find that it was a lot more fun for Kate if we stopped at designated rest stops (as opposed to just the side of the road) for pee breaks.  Especially in BC, where there's bound to be a lake at almost every stop!  That way the dogs get a bit of fun while they're on their break, and it's safer for you and Mack too ;)

Best of luck - I hope you have a fun trip and Mack enjoys himself too!!! ;D

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: tips for a long car trip?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 06:12:12 pm »
We regularly do road trips with the Newfs and find taking a small cooler (like the Colman type...insulat ed plastic) filled with ice and just a bit of water is great fun for them.  They love to stick their heads in the ice and chomp and then shake drool and ice all over.  It helps to keep them cool and hydrated. (but maybe you don't need to worry about keeping cool, now in Canada, huh.  It's still a necessity here in Southern Calif!)

Have a wonderful trip and best wishes to the grans on SUCH an accomplishment!