Author Topic: Skin Problems - Neo  (Read 6989 times)

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
Skin Problems - Neo
« on: October 29, 2006, 01:55:03 am »
I haven't been here in so long that it took me awhile to find the url.  
I hope I am still welcome.

Anyone having skin problems with their neo?
Daisy is on her third round of antibiotics & steroids in an attempt to clear up her reacurring skin problem. She has small lesions that result in hair loss and flaking skin. The vet has done scrapings to check for mites. All came back negative. We are currently doing a course of Revolution, 3 doses every 2 weeks, in the off chance that it is scabies. According to the vet the scabies mite can avoid the scrapings.
Next is a trial of food changes in search of a food allergy.
Any suggestions?
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Skin Problems - Neo
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 04:12:01 am »
We just lost our Chow who had something wrong with her skin.  We were told it was the result of her immune system disorder. 

I have heard of a thing called Alopecia X that can make the skin smell bad.

Is your dog smelly? 
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 05:36:11 am »
Our Neo rescue boy, Jesse, has done amazingly well since we put him on a high-end food, and started supplementing him with fish oil caps, garlic caps, vitamin C and Glucosamine/chondroitin supplements.  And adding apple cider vinegar to his water.  Even his vet was shocked- she says neos aren't supposed to have puppy soft fur and great skin, but Jesse does.  Might be worth a try. IF you need more info, let me know and I will give you his dosages.  By the way, we do not use any flea preventatives and he has had no fleas since he got here in May.

Weedsport, NY

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 06:32:59 am »
Daisy has been on so many different foods that the vet suggested some sort of kibble made from kangaroo in an effort to give her something that she hasn't been exposed to already.  She had a difficult time eating when she first came to us and then problems with her anal glands so we were trying to entice her to eat and bulk up her stools. 
Currently she is eating Wolf King. 

Did the vet test for systemic yeast?  I don't think so.  Would that be a blood test? 

Is she smelly?  Only if you brush her so that the skin flakes off.  Then she smells a bit like a really old dog might smell.

Did Jesse ever have problems with his skin? 
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 03:42:55 am »
When Jesse came to us, he was severely abused, starved, and beaten.  His skin was awful! Flaky, losing hair, nasty smelling (like dead fish on a beach, is what he smelled like to me)

Weedsport, NY

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 05:54:18 am »
Will you send me his dosages, what brand food and the amount you are feeding him per day?
Also his weight?

Thank you so much for your interest and help. 
Daisy thanks you too.