Author Topic: Puppy growth  (Read 5816 times)

Offline amme

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Puppy growth
« on: June 21, 2005, 06:21:35 pm »
My pup is a mixed breed - so I know that factors into it a bit, but I was wondering what rate of growth Dane puppies tend to move at.  Tucker's paws aren't that big but they've also got the webbing of the retriever to them - so that might be why. 

Right now he's 16 weeks old and probably about 40 lbs (haven't been to the vet in a couple weeks so I'm not exactly sure on the weight.)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Puppy growth
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 06:51:48 pm »
I have a saint not a dane, but when she was that age the vet told us her goal was about 3lbs per week.
RIP former BPO

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 03:31:42 am »
we dont look at paws for growth
ever see the size of a baset hounds paws??
we look at the growth plate in the front legs. the more plates  the bigger the dog
our ridgebacks  usually top out at 25 to 28 inches and 75 lbs  up to 120 lbs
as for our fila,,,,,,,,,,well she is just huge as a fila should be
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline Kristycare

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 10:27:35 am »
Danes seem to get their height first then fill out by the age of 3. I think the growth rate depends on what you feed. You don't want them to put too much weight on too fast

GR8DAME

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 11:50:19 am »
Rule of thumb with danes is 10 LBS per month, so at 4 months and 40 LBS your baby is right on target. At around a year or so when they get their hieght the rate of growth will slow, as Kristycare said, they actually finish filling out at around three. Of course individuals will vary, and being a mixed breed may alter things as well. My dane/wolfhound mix is much slenderer and finer boned than my dane was at the same age, although the same height, so he is a bit lighter as well.
Both of them have webbed toes.
Stella

Luvmydanes

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 01:19:44 pm »
I agree with Stella. 10 lbs a month is what both our Danes have/are doing. Dane has slowed up quite a bit being that he is 18 months, but Jasmine is almost 4 months and about 40 lbs. So she is right on target I think.

Kandi

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 11:02:02 am »
Amme, 40 lbs sounds good. But what really matter is how does he look. not too skinny, not too fat. if so they are good to go. And as already pointed out here, you never want them to grow too fast. You sometimes hear that, a dog is small for its age. Well they will be as big as their genetic makeup has destined, and for the giants the slower they get there the better. I agree to a certain extent with taijinrrr, that you can not only look at the paws, but they definately do play a roll in the size, the safest is to look at a lot of tings, the paws, the growth plates, the bone structure as a whole.

With a large dog you really dont want them to have more than 23% protein, ever in their food, that will make them grow too fast and put stress on their joints. One very common thing you can see when they grow too fast, it that they knockle over a bit, and that the inner bone at the front knees grow a bit faster than the outer bone, it can be sign of too little calcium but most likely just a growth thing. Mind you the real big guys can knockle over even if they grow as slow as you can make them.

Danes tend to fill out way later than other giant breeds, one female I once had went under then name "the picket fence" all legs and very little body lol..... but she turned out real nicely. Last time we weighed Galahad he was about 14 weeks maybe a couple days more, and he was 58,2 lbs, so the mastiffs are a bit heavier than danes. And grow different, the body tend to actually grow with the legs haha

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline doggieluvr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 03:21:36 pm »
we look at the growth plate in the front legs. the more plates  the bigger the dog

How do you tell how many growth plates they have?

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 09:27:26 pm »
You sound like you're about on track.  Gunther actually weighed #40 at 12 wks, and at 16 wks was #54, but he had a huge growth sprurt b/t 3 and 6 months and now is hardly growing at all (at least I think so..........ev eryone else thinks he's growing like a weed).

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 10:44:37 pm »
what is a knockle???

Willow is 12 weeks and probably almost 30 lbs and only about 16" at the shoulders.

how do you tell how many growth plates?

I know her mom was aboutl 140lbs and 32" and her dad weighed about 170 and not sure how tall.