Author Topic: Breeding a Wolfhound at age 5???  (Read 4800 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Breeding a Wolfhound at age 5???
« on: September 29, 2006, 02:35:38 pm »
There are some people here in Athens who just bred their Irish Wolfhounds. Well I found out the mama AND the papa dog are both 5 years old! :o Doesn't that seem a little odd... considering the lifespan of a Wolfhound is not much more than 5 years?? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that seems a bit old to be breeding giant dogs. :-[
Does anyone know?? I don't know much about breeding, myself. There were only 3 puppies in the litter, as far as I know... :-\

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
Re: Breeding a Wolfhound at age 5???
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 08:41:49 pm »

I agree - not too old at all.  In fact, breeding at 5 successfully is better than breeding too young when you don't know what you have yet, or what the health will be. I won't take a puppy from a dam or sire less than 3 years old in my breed.

The one thing I wanted to add here however, is that these giant breeds are dying young, not old.  Their lifespans are short but this should not be confused with a more accelerated aging process.  A 5 year old Wolfhound is no different than a 5 year old Maltese in terms of age - it is just that we are losing these giants too young.

Six years old is the standard retirement age for breeding a dam - for a sire, the sky is the limit.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar