Author Topic: What do you think?  (Read 2107 times)

k2campbell

What do you think?
« on: October 02, 2006, 12:12:31 pm »
Kate "lives" in our laundry room area while we're at work, ever since we got her.  It's a decently-sized area (about 10 x 10) with a window, we have a large gate to keep her enclosed.  Well these past few weeks she's been pooping in there almost every day (not diharrea) but we figure she just "had" to go each time.  She is loose in the house while we're home, and during the night.  When we get home from work, she is hysterical over us walking in the door to let her out of her area...

Last Friday and today, Eric (without my consent >:() didn't lock Kate up in her area when he left for work. He was "testing" her to see how she'd do.  Both days she didn't do one naughty thing.  No pooping, no doing anything bad in the house.  And when I walked in the door (I get home 1st, Eric leaves last in the morning) she has been happy to see me, but not as "crazy" as she normally is in her area... :)

So I'm asking your advice guys, I don't know what to do.  I know dogs are safer (and so are our houses!) when they're enclosed in an area, but she seems much more happy not being locked-up.  What do you think? ???

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 12:18:06 pm »
It looks like Kate is telling you that she can be trusted to be good in the house alone!  I think you should give her a go to see if it continues! 

We've never locked the Newfs up when we are gone (except in the house) and there's never been a problem.  They just flake out just inside the front door and give us an "oh, hi" sort of a welcome. 

GOOD GIRL KATE!!!!

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 12:18:30 pm »
I would think as long as everything is dog proof ( cleaning stuff , poisinous plants ,etc out of reach) in your house she's be safe ! We used to leave Moose loose in our house when we were gone and never had any problems , but now with Allie here I had to leave her in our laundry room alone so poor Moose has to stay with her  ::) Anyways ,I'd go for it ! She sounds happier !
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

k2campbell

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 12:56:06 pm »
It looks like Kate is telling you that she can be trusted to be good in the house alone!  I think you should give her a go to see if it continues! 

We've never locked the Newfs up when we are gone (except in the house) and there's never been a problem.  They just flake out just inside the front door and give us an "oh, hi" sort of a welcome. 

GOOD GIRL KATE!!!!

I like the way you've stated this Mari, that Kate is telling us she can be "trusted" ;D I bet you she flakes out as well (on the couch)!  Hmmmmmmmmmmm - I kinda wanna buy a baby-cam (like the ones you can get for a babysitter)!!! :D

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 01:30:40 pm »
We used to crate Kingsley and Laika when we were gone, but found that they've got much better attitudes when we get home if we leave them out. I've been told by the neighbors that the only thing they do is sit in front of the window and watch people :)
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Luvmydanes

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 02:57:57 pm »
You guys are SOOOO trusting! lol I don't think I could leave Jasmine with free run of the house. I think I'd come home and it would be destroyed!