Author Topic: Caucasion Mountain Dog  (Read 36399 times)

Offline wrdwrthy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Caucasion Mountain Dog
« on: October 03, 2006, 12:56:51 pm »
I'm considering adopting an caucasian mountain dog.  I would probably keep him outside as I already have two indoor dogs.  Can anyone give me further information on this rare breed?  What about breeding them?

Please email me with your answers.

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Caucasion Mountain Dog
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 05:27:22 pm »
Would this dog have a job? such as sheep/goat protector? i don't mean to sound rude, and i am hoping i took this the wrong way, but why would you buy a dog, then let it live its life outside? training, socialization, and love are all needs that dogs have, and they must get these things on a regular basis, or they will go bonkers! and why would you breed a dog that will probably end up nasty because it was shoved in a backyard all day w/o attention?

sorry to be mean, but this really rubs me the wrong way. i hope you didn't mean this the way i took it, i hope you are going to keep it outside, but also give it all the attention it needs. i doubt you have the wrong intentions, because you are researching your breed before you buy. YAY FOR YOU!!!!!! if anyone has a nicer way to say what i just said, please, go ahead. also, talk to the person on this board (name escapes me) that has a central asian ovchaarka and a caucasion.

Leah

P.S. I suck at first impressions! Welcome to BPO, i am Leah.
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 07:29:39 pm »
Would this dog have a job? such as sheep/goat protector? i don't mean to sound rude, and i am hoping i took this the wrong way, but why would you buy a dog, then let it live its life outside? training, socialization, and love are all needs that dogs have, and they must get these things on a regular basis, or they will go bonkers! and why would you breed a dog that will probably end up nasty because it was shoved in a backyard all day w/o attention?

sorry to be mean, but this really rubs me the wrong way. i hope you didn't mean this the way i took it, i hope you are going to keep it outside, but also give it all the attention it needs. i doubt you have the wrong intentions, because you are researching your breed before you buy. YAY FOR YOU!!!!!! if anyone has a nicer way to say what i just said, please, go ahead. also, talk to the person on this board (name escapes me) that has a central asian ovchaarka and a caucasion.

Leah

P.S. I suck at first impressions! Welcome to BPO, i am Leah.
It's BabsT that keeps a CAO & CO...& They are "housedogs" & Babs takes them very seriously & in return they take her very seriously...If any LGD is kept as an outside dog I feel they need to have a traditional job to do!!...I have 3 Great Pyrenees & would NEVER think of keeping them as outside dogs without livestock to gaurd...As it stands with them heavily socialized & trained they are still a "handful" & our training is not an event but more a way of life...Leah, your first impressions are true & straight forward...I can see you understand! :)

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 05:10:09 am »
Hi... Jackie Wood here.  I want to put my two cents worth in here.. as usual!...LOL

As most of you know, I raise and breed Great Pyrenees dogs which are very similar in back ground to an Ovcharka.  I have raised and bred this breed for 20 years with pride and love.  All of my dogs except the 2 new show pups are outside dogs.  They live with their goats and do a job.  Ovcharka's like Pyrs are a working dog.  Working dogs live outside.  I would never dream of taking them away from thier goats to bring them inside.  As Chelle can tell you all from recent experience, a true Livestock Guardian will morn over being removed from thier wards they care for and if they have very strong guardian traits they will express that guardian instinct in any way they can.  That's how strong that instinct is.

training, socialization, and love are all needs that dogs have....  You are 100% correct on this.  My dogs get all of that.  But they will remain outside doing their work and as Chelle can testify.. they are happy campers.

I think most of our confusion over this just comes from different lifestyles.  Just because we live differently does not mean your way is wrong or my way is wrong.  Just different.

This is not a critisism of your words Leah.  It's merely an observation that I felt needed expressed.

Jackie

This is the world of the working dog. Pictures from top to bottom are.....
Ovcharka headshot
Great Pyrenees with Boer goats
Anatolian Shepherd with kid
Esterela Mountain Dog (long hair) with kid
Ovcharka Collage
Pyr helping doe clean up after having a kid
Tibetan Mastiff
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 05:40:03 am »
Where would you be adopting this dog from...

Unlike Pyrs Anatolians etc... CO & CAOs arent as much as a traditional flock guard.  Most COs are now used as sentry guards (some are still with flocks) and CAOs are mostly guarding of nomadic tribes not stationary flocks.

They cant just live outside with nothing and if you are adopting and older/mature CO then there is a lot of bonding, training OB etc... you need to do.  a CO that is not bonded/dedicated to owner isnt a good thing.

If the dog is of correct temp, they will guard you will their life.... meaning...peop le cant come and go in your house, strange animals will not be tolerated, which you said you have 2 other dogs so that may be an issue  etc...

if you like you can email me.... babs.t@verizon.net

and when i mean protect, here is a visual... all this person did was raise his voice to me in a menancing way.  that is Zero my CAO and chara is my CO...she is too young still to be evaluated

Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

chaosndestruction

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 06:02:48 am »
Oh boy babs! Zero looks crazy scary!!! Remind me if I ever come over to be on MY best behaviour!!!!

I don't have any input on Caucasions... but I do know that babs knows a lot about them;)

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 06:33:25 am »
Wow , I can't believe the power in Zero ! Babs , in the last picture , did his harness brake or is it just hidden in his fur ?
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 08:54:36 am »
Those pictures of Zero are impressive, I have to say. I just want to say to this person asking about Ovcharkas, I don't own one and probably never will, not that I don't think they're beautiful! But I don't think I would be a good person to own one. And if not in the hands of the right person, any dog can pick up bad habits. But I wanted to say thank you for choosing to research this breed before getting one! That shows some responsibility on your part.

Secondly, I would like to say to some of the members on this board, please don't jump too much on this. It seems, (just in my opinion!) that you guys are making a big deal about this dog not being an indoor dog. I don't think dogs should be chained up in a little corner of the backyard either, but don't attribute an owner who has outdoor dogs as someone who does not love them. My two are mostly outdoors. Probably 90% of the time. Just because they like being outside and we don't have a big enough house by far for 2 big dogs, 2 cats, and 3 people to be inside all at once. The dogs come in sometimes for a treat or break from hot weather and then go out after a few hours. And I don't trust our 2 in the house half the time! They still misbehave like puppies! So just because this person may choose for this dog to be outside doesn't mean they are a bad owner. But it's wrong to ignore the dog simply because it's outside as well.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 09:25:33 am »
Well said Marissa.

Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 09:53:07 am »
Those pictures of Zero are impressive, I have to say. I just want to say to this person asking about Ovcharkas, I don't own one and probably never will, not that I don't think they're beautiful! But I don't think I would be a good person to own one. And if not in the hands of the right person, any dog can pick up bad habits. But I wanted to say thank you for choosing to research this breed before getting one! That shows some responsibility on your part.

Secondly, I would like to say to some of the members on this board, please don't jump too much on this. It seems, (just in my opinion!) that you guys are making a big deal about this dog not being an indoor dog. I don't think dogs should be chained up in a little corner of the backyard either, but don't attribute an owner who has outdoor dogs as someone who does not love them. My two are mostly outdoors. Probably 90% of the time. Just because they like being outside and we don't have a big enough house by far for 2 big dogs, 2 cats, and 3 people to be inside all at once. The dogs come in sometimes for a treat or break from hot weather and then go out after a few hours. And I don't trust our 2 in the house half the time! They still misbehave like puppies! So just because this person may choose for this dog to be outside doesn't mean they are a bad owner. But it's wrong to ignore the dog simply because it's outside as well.
I do agree Marissa!...I think the concernlies more in this particular breed of dog & making sure it trained & socialized properly...The y are an extreme dog!...& we know you love your dogs...no doubt!! :-*

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 10:19:45 am »
I did not by any stretch of the imagination mean to say i did not think you were going to care for the dog properly, i simply implied that if the dog was not to have a proper job, it may not be the right breed for you. (wonderful breed, definetely, for you? maybe not so much) The breed standard says "The characteristic reaction is the active-defensive one." This is not always good for a family pet.

You said: "They live with their goats and do a job." if they are actually DOING a job (like i am sure yours are), they are good at it, and if you train correctly, they can have a good relationship with their masters. if not, they can become aggresive and un-social. you saw in pictures how powerful they are, and you wouldn't want to meet an unhappy one in a dark ally. they can also be loving, protective FAMILY dogs. (see picture below)

"Working dogs live outside." yes, they do---pets do not.

I am in Aussies. The Australian Shepherd is not a protector, but a herder. They are able to be a family dog 6 hours out of the day, and go out and be with the herd the other 6. i guess that is why i never really understood strictly outside dogs. Aussies will work and work and work until you tell them to stop, (even if it means hurting themselves) or in the case of a very versatile dog, they will sleep and sleep and sleep until you tell them to stop! (often in front of highly trafficed doorways) :P

So i guess what i am trying to say is i don't think that the reason she wanted a CAO is for protecting goats. and although i doubt she is going to chain up her dog and never give it any attention, it doesn't deserve to sit out in a yard and do nothing.

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 11:18:34 am »
I have never met a Caucasian Mountain Dog of any kind, but it is obvious that they are a serious dog, a huge commitment, and not to be taken lightly. Surely they need a very experienced handler.

I would like to hear some more info from the original poster regarding what exactly they are looking for in a new dog and why they might be interested in breeding??

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 10:26:06 pm »
Completely off topic, but I have to say WOW!!! BAbs- that is one impressive boy you have there! Schutzhund training? Tell us more about his training and how its going!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 11:20:39 pm »
No, he would never be a sport dog LOL... so many things required that he just wouldnt do... I just had him agitated by a professional/friend to make sure he had the will to protect.  He is still young 2 on Halloween but he (as the trainers said) has the ability to take a threat very seriously and should be a force by the time he is three....

I think a lot of breeds have their original purposes bred out of them so it is good to see Zero is exactly what the breed temp is (even if he is a little more serious than some)
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 12:20:03 am »
He is beautiful, but I can honestly say I would have to stick with my stubborn mals, they can be a little much at times. We studied them long before we got Tonka and it helped that I had a husky mix when I was younger as well, but Sometimes, I wish they were protective, but I knew that was not part of the breed before I got them and I can be a big push over at times with them and not be stearn enough. Will follow up with a "Thank you" to everyone for educating us on their dogs.