Author Topic: Prey drive  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Prey drive
« on: June 22, 2005, 10:33:18 am »
Is the females prey drive stronger than males? Kiya (13months) oh my goodness!! She's incredible. This morning she picked up on fresh deer tracks, she gets in a frenzy. Zero concentration on anything else. Im too afaid to start her off lead because of this. She's in a selective hearing stage lately. By 1 year Apache was trained off lead, he did go off chasing deer a few times but I was a little more confident that he would give up the chase. Kiya on the other hand I think would chase the darn deer forever!
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
Re: Prey drive
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 10:48:32 am »
I'm not sure about males but my female Sophie has a very high prey drive.  She loves cats, birds, rabbits, bumblebees, moths, and anything else that moves.   She will pick up a scent and drag me around the yard (she also has selective hearing :)  so she is always on leash outside). I also think we might have moles because she will pounce and go crazy on this one particular part of out yard and I never see anything there.  Anyways just wanted to let you know you are not alone with the high prey drive female.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

ann

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 05:26:32 pm »
i was going to ask that same thing..my female boxer is nuts on a trail or if she sees something and she will attack a rabbit or bird what ever got in our yard scout my male boxer will check it out but only look........i have a couple of friends that train bird dogs i'll ask them.......... .........

ann

Offline imogen

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 05:39:03 pm »
Our greyhound adoption program seems to work on a kind of a scale.

Strongest drive- will tear up anything white and fluffy, including dogs. This isn't an acceptable temprement for adoption.

Strong drive- Will attack cats, bunnies and birds but will leave cows and other dogs alone (generally)

Medium- Has a drive to chase but usually playful. May kill small animals like chickens and bunnies (possibly trainable)

Low- May show interest in chasing birds etc but is trainable

Nil- Shows no interest

I am not sure if this helps!