Author Topic: Whining/Spay  (Read 2452 times)

Offline PhoebesMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Phoebe
    • View Profile
    • Life with Eclectus Parrots
Whining/Spay
« on: October 04, 2006, 05:07:21 am »
Phoebe was spayed last Friday and had surgery on her ankle as well. Since then she's only eaten maybe a cup- a cup and a half of food which isn't much. She's whining a lot. Phoebe is deaf and I have no clue why she is whining?? Not that she could tell me otherwise but it's not like her to whine. Her ankle seems to be doing okay when we rebandage with clean wrappings and her tummy is pretty red. She's on antibiotics for a week but is it normal for females abdomines to get a little red? She licks but as soon as we notice we give her a tap and try distracting her. I'm so confused. The vet said she's healing well and looks good but with her not eating much at all, plus the redness and whining I'm a little concerned. Any thoughts?
Megan- Mom to Phoebe(Great Dane)
Thunder (Chihuahua)
Viggo & Sula (Red Sided Eclectus Parrots)
Meisha & Sydney (Vos Eclectus Parrots)
Skaha (7-toed Polydactol Cat)

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Whining/Spay
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 05:16:46 am »
Laika got spayed last Thursday and she's not acting like that at all...her abdomen also isn't red. Has your vet looked at her or have you just talked to him on the phone?
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline PhoebesMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Phoebe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 05:22:32 am »
Talked on the phone. He's called everyday to check in and I've given him info on Phoebe and how she's doing and really stressed the whining/redness. He said that it's normal for some redness. He also said that because she's a neurotic chewer (of herself) to really watch her because he said that coneing her could cause more issues for her. Grr.. I don't know what's up. We're not supposed to go back until the 12th to have her stitches removed on her ankle but this sucks. When I talked with him this morning he said give it one more day and if she's still acting like this then bring her in.
Thunder (Chihuahua)

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 05:29:12 am »
Maybe she's just freaked out about the hormones and everything? I have no idea...Have you tried giving her some of the relaxing medicine? I thought I remembered you talking about giving her medicine because she was so nervous, but I could be completely wrong. Maybe the whining has nothing to do with pain, maybe she's just freaked out.
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline PhoebesMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Phoebe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 05:36:53 am »
Yes the vet wants to put her onto some anxiety meds but not until he sees her once again on the 12th. I heard St. John's Wort was really natural and excellent and then heard about BACH but I haven't found the BACH yet and I do not personally know anyone with a dog that takes St. John's Wort I've only heard about it. She's changed into a different dog though since the surgeries. Before she was so laid back and never made a peep and now she's whining and pacing and sleeping lots and not eating (she's generally a pig and gobbles the food as it hits her bowl). I even made her a rice dish with some veggies hoping she would eat. Alas no.
Thunder (Chihuahua)