Author Topic: Good-bye, security deposit :(  (Read 9835 times)

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Good-bye, security deposit :(
« on: October 06, 2006, 03:03:17 am »
Okay, so this whole destructive mood Laika's in has GOT to stop. She's totally lost freedom priviledges when we're gone. All week we've come home to a new thing destroyed. It started out as just socks, underwear, bags (apparently she's not a Disney princess type of girl), the cord to our air hockey table, and boxes. But last night we came home, and there were pieces of hard plastic all over the den. Couldn't figure it out, until we looked under the foozball table. There was a huge black spot on our white carpet. Yes, she chewed up one of my gel pens. I spent about an hour scrubbing and steam-cleaning it last night, but you can definitely still see it. ARGH!
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Luvmydanes

Re: Good-bye, security deposit :(
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 03:08:21 am »
How old is Laika? My parents have a rotty and when they used to leave him alone in the house, regardless if it was 5 minutes or a couple hours they would come home and he would have peed on their furniture, chewed the door, ripped down their blinds...all sorts of really destructive things. They figured he was "mad" cause he couldn't go with them. So they now put him out back when they leave. Do you have a doggy proof spot in your house you can put Laika? My dogs go in our laundry room when we leave anywhere and they're always good. Of course last night, hubby forgot to shut the laundry room door and we came home and saw Jasmine high tailing it back to the laundry room. lol...I went around the house looking for damage and found nothing. YAY Jasmine! Of course I still don't trust her enough yet to leave her out, but I was happy she was so good!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 03:09:19 am »
Oh, I can sooooo relate and sympathize. It's always a treat to come home and see what "Demolition Derby" has found to destroy. Yesterday while I was taking a nap he got ahold of the wooden spoon that was in the sink and made splinters of it all over my bedroom floor. I heard him chewing on something, but I thought it was a bone.

He's lucky he's so cute...
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 03:17:12 am »
Laika's 9 months, and up till now she's been fantastic when left alone, but we're going to start crating her again. I think it has something to do with the whole rebellious phase she's going through, because she is REALLY rebelling.

Yeah, I forgot about the spoon Laika got ahold of. We're still trying to figure out how the heck she got it, because we're really good about putting dishes in the sink.
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Luvmydanes

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 03:19:09 am »
I think I would kennel her too, even if just for a little while. It might help her understand that if she can't be good when she is left alone then this is what happens you know? We use that method with Jasmine and it works really well.

Offline Boyle

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 03:30:17 am »
Sounds like your girl is going through her teen rebellion.  Crating her is the best thing especially since she is chewing on electric cords.  Have you thought about getting a dog walker during the day?  Even 1/2 hour of play time might exhaust her and keep her from being destructive. 

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 03:52:01 am »
I have the king of destruction... Moose gets locked in the kitchen at night (we can't find a crate that will fit him) but we baby gate all 3 dogs in the kitchen. Moose in the last month has eaten: my wallet, 2 cordless phones, 5 bananas, numerous rolls of paper towels, cups, bowls, pans. This dog is magic or something. He can get stuff OFF THE TOP OF THE FRIDGE. The first phone was mounted 7 ft off the floor and he still got it. He opens the dishwasher and empties it if we don't empty it at night. He can get any cupboard door open. If he wants something hes going to get it.  :-\ I even finally broke down and bought a muzzle he got the muzzle off and chewed it up.

Anyways there is a product that walmart sells called Kids and Pets. It works REALLY well. I have 5 kids living in the house the oldest being 4 (although he is at about a 2 yr old level) and I babysit a couple kids during the day. I have had red kool aid spit all over my VERY light colored carpet and been able to get it out with this Kids and Pets stuff. It really works great and its not that expensive. But i know it can get blood out, cat pee, dog poop, kid messes so it might be worth trying. :)
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 04:15:34 am »
Oh my goodness, sounds like Moose's name should've been Houdini!!! That's impressive!!

Unfortunately, I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart, so I'll have to look for that stuff somewhere else. I've had a few horrible run-ins with Wal-Mart and finally told them I'd never be back. I've learned to do without the convenience, but it's been hard!

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 04:31:16 am »
Oh no!  It's definitely a teen thing- Binky had never ruined anything before a couple months ago.  Then she started to shred any piece of paper in site (try going to the bank and saying my dog ate my statement).  Then she destroyed two down comforters (that's a great mess to clean-looked like a flock of geese exploded in our room), a quilt someone made us for our wedding, and three pillows.  I ignored it until we came home and she had chewed a hole through our leather couch pillow.
I started to gate her in the kitchen even if I had to leave her downstairs while I went upstairs.  I did this for about 2 weeks, then started letting her be out alone again.  Knock on wood, it's been ok!
Oxy-clean really might help your stain.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 04:38:30 am »
Alright, definitely going to get some oxy-clean today!

Another downside to Laika's destuction: I have a meeting with the board today, so I wanted to wear my khaki pants. Well, that and I haven't done laundry all week and the khakis are the only things clean. Problem is, Laika ate all my white underwear, and now I only have dark-colored underwear, and Justin confirmed that you can DEFINITELY see them through the khakis. Soooo now I have to decide if the butt is too jiggly-wiggly today to wear no unders, or if I want to wear some dirty pants. UGH decisions!!

Offline DoberBaby17

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 05:18:19 am »
Hahaha!! I'm sorry to laugh, but that last story's pretty funny (your delivery is comedic genius!). My old dog (years ago) was a laundry luncher as well. No fun!!
Stacy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Offline Fly-Fast

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 05:16:39 am »
Okay, so this whole destructive mood Laika's in has GOT to stop. She's totally lost freedom priviledges when we're gone. All week we've come home to a new thing destroyed. It started out as just socks, underwear, bags (apparently she's not a Disney princess type of girl), the cord to our air hockey table, and boxes. But last night we came home, and there were pieces of hard plastic all over the den. Couldn't figure it out, until we looked under the foozball table. There was a huge black spot on our white carpet. Yes, she chewed up one of my gel pens. I spent about an hour scrubbing and steam-cleaning it last night, but you can definitely still see it. ARGH!

Go to Home Depot and spend $30.00 and rent a machine guaranteed to remove it. but do it now...  time is limited .

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 06:00:54 am »
how old is she?
lesson well learned i am sure! any young pups should always be crate trained, up to a year of age.
i have even heard of them jumping on stoves and turning knobs that were within reach of paws sliding on or off the stove.
very dangerous, both for you and the young dog to trust them loose.
there are many crates that are large enough to be comfortable enough for the time at work, many come home on lunch breaks to let dogs out.
excersise than is a must for crate trained dogs, to give them the release for all the rest they had during the day while you were slaving away.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505