Author Topic: growling  (Read 7970 times)

Offline MRSL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: growling
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 06:09:09 am »
http://www.dog-games.co.uk/newshop/product/Bungee+Pupee+STRETCHING+Dog+Lead.htm

Hi hope this helps answer your questions about bungee leads.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 06:46:10 am »
I don't have a food aggression problem because I have food down 24 hours a day- no one gets fat- they self regulate their intake and there is no ravenous hunger at meal time.  If you are feeding 3 times a day it must be small amounts- what is wrong with allowing him to eat in peace?  One of the main driving forces behind food aggression is that the dog believes he is going to lose his food- by picking the bowl up he has indeed lost his food.  I would work on him not being so absolutely ravenous at mealtime first- some nice big meaty bones between meals might help here and then I would start by NOT picking up his bowl but by adding goodies to his bowl while he is eating so he begins to associate you near his bowl with good things not as a threat. 

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 07:08:19 am »
From an internationall y known trainer

My question is about food and how to avoid food aggression. I am getting a new dog, an English Springer Spaniel, this coming Summer, and I am wondering how to make him comfortable with me near him when he eats and when I need to take his food from him. I have a Cocker Spaniel who is already food aggressive – that is, he snaps at me if I try to remove his food bowl, and he growls when I sit down beside him without doing anything. I’ve tried a range of methods – from harsher to softer. Now I have pretty much decided to accept that he is the way he is, but I want to avoid that my new puppy becomes like my Cocker.

ANSWER:
Food is important for any animal who wants to survive. Growling only means “Stay away”, especially if the dog expect that someone wants to take away his food. I feel that the way I have always done it is the safest way to avoid guarding of food, and that is to allow the puppy to become completely confident that you are not going to steal its food. Leave it alone while eating. Put the bowl down on the floor and walk away. From time to time, you walk casually by him and drop an extra snack into its bowl, but without bending over or remain standing beside the dog. Simply drop the treat into the bowl while walking by. When your new dog arrives, feed them in separate rooms since the older one is already guarding his food.

You can use the same technique with your present dog too, as a way to teach him that there is no need to growl over his food. Let him eat in peace while you’re in another room, then after some time you can pass him from a distance (like by the entrance to the room where he’s fed) at the same time as you throw an extra treat over to him. Sitting down near him has been too threatening, and the dog’s growling is a clear signal of what he feels.

I’ve always let my dogs be eat in peace during meals. That’s why they don’t get defensive the time when someone is getting too close or when I for some reason have to take their food away. I can put my entire hand into their mouths if necessary, or ask them to drop on command. It’s very important for dogs to feel this secure when it comes to food. Try my suggestions on both your dogs, and I am absolutely sure that it will work. The way you do things now, they will never get accustomed to your taking the food away, instead they will learn to defend the food by stronger and stronger means. Quite naturally, really, as you are proving them right each time you take their food away.

Turid Rugaas

PREVIOUS QUESTION  NEXT QUESTION 

HOME

ABOUT TURID
 QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
 ARTICLES
 GALLERY

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 08:32:57 pm »
Lady did that ONCE!  she was testing her boundaries and we were told from the very beginning to be DOMINATE with her since she is a rott.  so she started growling and protecting her bowl.  ONCE!  she got the domination treatment and never did it again. 
still to this day if either start acting dominate toward people ... they get rolled onto their backs and growled at and stared down, etc. 
She's never done it again.  they both learned that what's in the bowl is MINE and i've given it to them and can take it back whenever i want.  Dog Whisperer trick from TV.   
just be as assertive as you can when bad habits start and you should turn out a well behaved, respectful pup.  respectful is terribly important.