Author Topic: i need advice really bad about scout  (Read 8420 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: i need advice really bad about scout
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 04:49:25 pm »
How old is Tristan? Is he old enough to give Scout his food? Or, to tell Scout to sit and stay before he gets his food? Somehow Scout needs to learn that Tristan is higher up in the chain of command than he is. What Scout is doing is try to assert himself to be higher up in the "pack" than Tristan is. Nipping in a pack of dogs is not going to cause injury to another dog, but it of course will to a toddler. Scout doesn't understand this. To him, Tristan is another pack member and you and your husband are the pack leaders.

So, what you need to do is train Tristan while you train Scout, or rather, have Tristan assist in the training of Scout - even if it's just having Tristan by your side as you train/discipline Scout. If Tristan is old enough to give Scout his food, then Tristan will start looking to Tristan for what he needs: food, attention, direction, etc. and should revert to a more submissive position in the "pack".

If Scout hasn't taken an obedience class yet, take him but have Tristan go with you.

Does this make sense?
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 06:25:21 pm »
tristan JUST turned 1 in november, and that's what throwing me off so much as to what to do.  we do, however, let our kids walk our dogs around on their leashes inside the house, except axle who aiden can walk outside.  none of the obedience classes i've contacted will let a 1 y/o attend b/c of the liability. 
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 06:54:01 pm »
By my post I was not trying to offend and if I did ~ I'm sorry.
I wasn't suggesting you give her a 'break' at all, I was making suggestions like everyone else and what worked for us ~ treats.
Libby is also a very needy dog that follows me from room to room and if I go away she stops eating.
You know her previous owner I do not, but when he said he has cousins come over very frequently is VERY different from having to live with them 24/7. I never implyed that your kids were doing anything to her, every kid/dog is different.
We also do that with the kitchen a toe nail over and 'out' is what you'll hear.
OH ya Libby is about 120lbs heavier than my 4.5  ;D
So again I'm sorry ~ Kim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2007, 07:12:11 am »
Obviously there is a tremendous amount of knowledge among this group!!!  Thank goodness.  My thoughts - An obedience class may be helpful even if you can't find one that Tristan can attend.  Maybe there would be somewhere that offers classes and private sessions that would allow Tristan at a private session?  Is there a behaviorist or trainer that would be willing to come to your home and observe.  It seems that you are aware of the situation however with watching Tristan and Scout it would be diffcult to watch everything closely.  It is possible that there are subtle signs that a good behaviorist would see that may give them information to provide additional advice?  Any way that you could set up a video camera to tape Tristan and Scout?  Of course you would have to find a class and trainer or behaviorist that you can trust.  It seems that you are doing an excellent job.  Let us know how things are going.

Offline TannerW

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Roxie
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2007, 07:29:42 am »
...I could totally be anthropomorphising...

It's anthropomorphiZing, duh!  Jeeze, I thought that was common knowledge! ::) Hehe, just kidding. ;D Good choice of word and great advice, from you and everyone else here. 

I'm glad that no one's beating around the bush as to the seriousness of the situation.  Unfortunately, I have nothing to add as I'm just an idiot with a spellchecker. 

Best of luck, Steff.  Hopefully everything works out well.  Please keep us posted.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 07:32:17 am by TannerW »

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2007, 08:15:31 am »
Unfortunately, I don't have much advise, my dogs are around certain children and the ages have ranged, I have noticed with Nala that if she does not want to be bothered she will go get in her crate, but then again never around children 24/7. The treat idea sounds perfect, maybe see if a trainer can come to your house for an evaluation that way Tristan can be there also.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2007, 09:44:36 am »
By my post I was not trying to offend and if I did ~ I'm sorry.
I wasn't suggesting you give her a 'break' at all, I was making suggestions like everyone else and what worked for us ~ treats.
Libby is also a very needy dog that follows me from room to room and if I go away she stops eating.
You know her previous owner I do not, but when he said he has cousins come over very frequently is VERY different from having to live with them 24/7. I never implyed that your kids were doing anything to her, every kid/dog is different.
We also do that with the kitchen a toe nail over and 'out' is what you'll hear.
OH ya Libby is about 120lbs heavier than my 4.5  ;D
So again I'm sorry ~ Kim

kim, i PROMISE you didn't offend me.  i'm sorry i can out rude, i was having a really aggravating / bad day.  i really appreciate your advice, as well as everyone else's and wasn't trying to be mean in my reply.  like i said though, i wasn't offended, i was just aggravated at my day, so don't be sorry, b/c i'm sorry!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]