Author Topic: Rally Obedience  (Read 11860 times)

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Rally Obedience
« on: October 16, 2006, 08:49:09 am »
Any of our talented BPO dogs "playing" Rally?  Cirra got a qualifying score in her Rally Novice A class at a show this weekend.  We had to work for every point.  She now has two legs and will try for her title next year when the shows start again.  It sure takes a lot of patience to succeed these "non-traditional" obedience types.  Cirra seems to enjoy herself "showing off" or just watching everything that is going on around her.  She attracted a lot of attention at the show and was a great Canine Good Citizen. 

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Rally Obedience
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 09:40:46 am »
What is Rally? (I"m sorry, I'm new to the show/trial stuff). I am very curious to know what makes it not mainstream obedience?
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 10:00:15 am »
Rally is a sport for dogs.  You can learn a lot about it by searching the internet.  The "game" involves you and your dog working together to perform what is on signs at different stations during a course. Signs include things such as:  Halt-walk around dog, sit, down, fast pace, slow pace, spirals around cones, jumps, etc.  You can talk to your dog, clap, use hand signals, etc however you can't use food treats or touch your dog.  You can even repeat a station.  It is not as formal as traditional obedience.  The courses are always different.  It is a lot of fun and really encourages communication with your dog.  We have really enjoyed it.  We took two classes with some very supportive folks and some great dogs.  Pyrs are not know for excelling in Obedience or even Rally so her breed makes her a "non-traditional" player of the "game".  We want Cirra to particpate as long as she seems to enjoy it.  Since she is very social and friendly she has loved seeing her "friends" at the classes and the show. 

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 01:09:12 pm »
That sounds like fun-and I am amazed that you can get your Pyr to participate in anything!  Binky finds getting up to go out to be a trial!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 01:18:08 pm »
That does sound fun! My Cattle Dog would have been a gold medalist in that kinda stuff, but Bella... right now Bella has the attention span of about 1/2 a second!  It's hard enough just to work on sit and down right now! I'll be glad when she gets a little older and can focus in on me more.  We'll be going for our CGC for sure; after that- who knows!

Congrats to you and Cirra on your qualifying score!
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline 4DoggieMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 02:07:21 pm »
Rally is FUN!

Finnegan our Newfie has his Rally Novice A title.  We also had to work very hard for every point. :) Finnegan thinks heeling is booooring so it takes lots of encouragement from me to keep him interested.  And usually the courses are designed for MUCH smaller dogs.  We have a GREAT time playing in Rally and the big dogs definately get lots of attention since its not common to see them participate. 

So happy there are other big dogs out there representing! LOL
Proud Dog Mom to:
"Finnegan" Wewinagin CGC RN - Newfie
h*ll on Wheels "Hexi" - Lab/Dal
P&R's Finest "Cadbury" Chocolate - Rat Terror

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 04:36:20 pm »
I really want to get Kingsley into that. I think he'd love it. I just have to get the stay command working...
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 12:08:20 am »
I have checked into this, and I'd LOVE to get Darmok into a Rally-O class!  The place we took our Agility lessons was talking about giving a Rally-O class, but I dont think they ever actually got one started up.  Sure sounds like fun, though.
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 03:16:22 pm »
Update!  We feel kinda dense right now!  Evidently, on Saturday Cirra actually did qualify with a 70, so she actually has the 3 legs required under two judges to get her title of Rally Novice!  Duh, we left early because Cirra was too hot in the show site. We didn't check the score sheets........ ....we'll never do that again.  Still new to this, but Cirra thinks we get an "F" for follow-through,  hah, hah!  Most of our pics were blurry, but we might have some from the Nationals in April.  Will post later.

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 11:52:50 am »
I think that Bailey and I are going to start Rally classes in January. I am excited. Bailey is incredibly smart and I think that she will do really well- hopefully I will do as well as she does....

Offline EnchantedGypsy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 09:27:37 am »
I started reading Charles Kramer's books about Rally-O about3 years ago. A friend told me about an annual seminar in Lompoc for Rally, I attended my 2nd one in April of this year. My friend has 2 Borzoi with their Novice Rally (RN) titles; and I hope to enter my future Borzoi in Rally ;) For now, I'm teaching Novice Rally classes.

Congrats on your Pyr's RN last Fall!
~*~*And he says 'Rhiannon don't go.... Rhiannon stay'.... And he still cries out for her.... 'Don't leave me.... don't leave me now'....*~*~

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 02:59:34 pm »
Congrats Cirra on her title!
We do a lots of obedience training with Lily and she really enjoys it (most of the time). Lily has 2 legs which she earned when she was only 9 months old! I am so proud of her!!!
Judges definitely give Pyrs owners extra credit for doing rally or obedience. Those dogs are the h*ll load of work!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 03:26:43 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 02:07:19 am »
Adak is starting Rally Classes soon to see how he likes it, if so he will start competing as well. His Uncle Tom and Snowman from the same breeder are wonderful! With his lanky legs she is encouraging us to try it. For now when we hike, I take no treats and get him use to healing w/out them also in his next ob. class I am going to ask not to treat as much just so he does not get use to the I do a trick and get a treat mode.

Offline Gill

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 03:17:21 am »
i have been taking Monty to obedience classes for a while now.The instuctors there have tried frequently to get me interested in taking him to the rally classes. Is it a tremendous amount of extra work to do it. Monty is now 9 months old, is he at a good age for that type of training?
Bogie 9y.o Blue-fronted Amazon Parrot
Montague 1 year old St Bernard Puppy

All the while you have a dog you will be loved.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 03:19:57 am »
they told me that Adak needed to atleast have been through intermediate training first or atleast in the class