Author Topic: To Adopt or Not to Adopt  (Read 2258 times)

Offline GiantSchnauzerBoy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
To Adopt or Not to Adopt
« on: October 16, 2006, 03:21:36 pm »
Hi,
A family member has a 3 month old Great Dane/Lab mix that needs to be re-homed. I currently do not own a dog, but am 'adopted' by my roommate's Giant Schnauzer. We talked briefly about me adopting the puppy, but have reservations. My biggest question is how do you handle two Big Paw dogs in a household? and we're renters so finding an appropriate place isn't always available, Do Big Paw Dogs do okay in city/suburban apts? I'm thinking that we're not ready for a puppy... but she's so cute!

GR8DAME

Re: To Adopt or Not to Adopt
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 02:18:24 am »
Hi and a belated welcome to BPO.
I have three dogs, in a very small house. The hardest issue is where the canines go when the humans are rude enough to insist that they want the furniture to sit on.
On danes, my Merlin settled down for the most part when he was around two and only occaisionally has zoomies, running up and down the hallway until the whole house shakes.
Strider, my dane/wiemer/IW mix is another story. He will be two in December and shows no sign of maturing. He lives to terrorize anything that moves and breathes, and a few things that don't. His latest obsession is my spin bike. He lays on the floor and moves the pedals until they are going a good clip all the way around then tries to bite them as they pass his nose. At least he is amusing himself, I guess and isn't trying to knock down the fish tank for a change.
I haven't rented in 15 years, so I have no first hand experience for you there. But around here big paw friendly apartments are not always easy to find.
Stella

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 04:55:12 am »
Here is my two cents as a landlord. I will almost always rent to people with dogs. I usually think twice about puppies, though. They are...well..pu ppies. They go potty in the house, they chew, etc. And two of them together can be a LOT!

Lab puppies are nuts until 2 or 3 and sometimes longer. I actually treat labs differently than other dogs for this reason. (When I'm considering renting to someone with a dog)

Having lived all over the country, I've found that the possibilities of renting with pets vary regionally and from city to city. Some places have a real pet-friendly attitude, and pet-friendly housing is easy to come by. Many aren't.

OK, this is getting long. But now on to two dogs in an apartment. I have two dogs in my two bedroom apartment. One is a one year old Flat-Coated Retriever mix, and the other is a 7.5 year old Newf/Chow mix. They are awesome in the house together, but this is only  becuase the older one doesn't like to play. I wouldn't really be able to have multiple dogs in here that are crazy...its just too much.

So, the short answer is that a lot of it depends on the individual personality of the dogs.

hahah...ok..so rry that was so long-winded!

Offline DoberBaby17

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 06:15:41 am »
Hi,
A family member has a 3 month old Great Dane/Lab mix that needs to be re-homed. ... I'm thinking that we're not ready for a puppy... but she's so cute!

Not meaning to burst your bubble here, but my initial thought was...."we're not ready for a puppy"...then you shouldn't have one. Puppies are always cute, so don't let that be the biggest part of this lifelong decision. See if you can find a short-term foster, until you are ready. Maybe if you have another month to consider housing options, get supplies, puppy-proof the home, etc, then you may be more ready. And when you're ready, you're ready. And you will know it. Don't be too hasty though, because pups that young certainly are a lot to handle.

Another side note...DO NOT send her to someone you do not know and trust. Make it clear that you will want her back within a month or so. And be sure to keep close contact and spend a lot of time visiting the pup until the time comes for you to take her home. This will allow for a smoother transition, as she will get to know you, and you can get to know her as well.
Stacy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."