Author Topic: Worst idea ever! How do I convince her not to breed?  (Read 16927 times)

Nicole

Re: Worst idea ever! How do I convince her not to breed?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2006, 06:50:13 am »
It is difficult not to be "harsh" when you see someone throwing away lives. And that is what careless breeding is, creating lives so they can be discarded. Yes, some of the puppies may end up in loving wonderful homes, but how many do you think will end up as bait dogs, fighting dogs, tied up to a tree, or euthanized as viscious? That is reality, and reality is harsh. The only thing that you can do is try and educate people, and if they choose not to listen, walk away. In the same token, if those same people come to me gushing about their "beautiful puppies" or come to me for advise or commiseration because their unsocialized dog just bit someone I tell them "too bad. Guess dog ownership/breeding wasn't all it was cracked up to be." And I still walk away. And that IS harsh.
Stella

Amen, sister.  :)

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2006, 06:58:42 am »
I think the best thign to do is relate it all back to finances. Either she cares about her dogs deeply, or she doesn't. If she doesn't, there aren't any appeals to ethics that will work because to her "it's just a dog."

Point out how many pitbulls are up for adoption in rescues and pounds. Geez, that's a lot more supply than demand? Think you'll be able to find paying homes for all the puppies?

Man, vet bills for pregnancies get expensive. What if there's complications? Can you cover all of the expenses if something goes wrong? You'd hate to lose out on your investment.

You should probably take the dog to obedience school. If people come to see your dogs and get a puppy, and they see a rambunxious or aggressive dog, geez, you might lose a sale!

If you can tell that she's going to breed no matter what you say, switch tactics and it's time to start lookign out for those poor pups. Research the laws in your area- in most places it's against the law to sell a dog to be used for fighting. The only way she can "make sure" (because you can't ever be sure) that they don't get used fo rthat purpose (and she doesn't get slapped with a fine, as I'm sure would be her concern) is to do home checks. Tell her it's easier to sell puppies with shots.

Also, be careful with those males- two unneutered males with no temperment testing and one unspayed female is a recipe for complete disaster!

Good luck!

Offline 2dogmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 07:12:26 am »
Yes, that is true...but Id also like to point out that many many people, some on this site, will not have a dog unless it is a registered breed of some kind, so in the same aspect, plenty of lives are being "wasted" because people choose to overlook mixed breeds.

GR8DAME

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2006, 07:37:33 am »
Mixed breed, purebred, dog, cat, horse or goldfish, the problem would not exisit if careless and BYBs and puppymills did not exist. I personally don't care about my dogs's pedigrees anymore than I care about my next door nieghbor's heritage and lineage. I love my mutt as much as I love my purebreds. But that is just me.
I thank God for the responsible breeders that care enough to keep the breeds pure and strong, and genetically sound. Without them we wouldn't have breeds, and choices of size, disposition and characteristic s. 
Stella

Nicole

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2006, 07:56:06 am »
Yes, that is true...but Id also like to point out that many many people, some on this site, will not have a dog unless it is a registered breed of some kind, so in the same aspect, plenty of lives are being "wasted" because people choose to overlook mixed breeds.

This is a point worth discussing. However, the same complaint can be made. GOOD REPUTABLE breeders will not produce too many animals, will not produce poor-quality animals, and will take their animals back if the owner can no longer care for them, which keeps them out of the shelters and off the street.

Also, I know that many on this site have purebreds from rescue, which is adding to the solution, not the problem.

I realize what your point is, but, the issue here was with one woman and her dogs. There really isn't any way to argue that there doesn't need to be more pittbulls in this world. (or any other breed, but this one is particularly problematic, no question)

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2006, 12:10:48 pm »
You know I have to change what I said before to: you can only tell her what the financial implications will be and give your opinion, but don't push, don't argue.  She will do what she wants and someone will hopefully put those pups in good homes some day.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2006, 06:17:57 pm »
I have been reading this thread and it seems to me that you can tactfully show her all this information by telling her that you got interested in what it takes to be a good breeder when she told you about breeding her pups.  And then tell what you discovered that you didn't know.  That way it comes out as you educating yourself and telling her the information like complications with pregnancy and costs and all that stuff.  That way you might not hurt her feelings or make her defensive and she might listen.  Good luck.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline 2dogmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2006, 10:04:30 am »
I will have to agree to disagree

Lyn

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2006, 11:15:29 am »
In my experience if someone is determined to breed they are going to do so no matter what you say. They see $$ and that's all that matters to them. BYB's are a serious peeve of mine. >:(

I'm STILL trying to 'talk' friends out of breeding their male GSD that only has one testicle! I thought I had them agreed into neutering him.. but just yesterday they mentioned a neighbor had bought a female GSD to breed with him. ::) UGH it's like I'm just wasting my breath. :(

Offline fila4me

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2006, 12:26:26 am »
Please give her this link!!!!

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/breeding.cfm

if she wathces nothing else, this she has too...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5fH3k_a64lQ

have her watch this video....
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hMBRPdMS9Wc

Tammy
Chynna-APBT 8 1/2 yrs
Bo-Husky mix 11 1/2 yrs
Gracie-Argentine Dogo 10yrs
Dutchess-Eng. Springer RIP
Jordan-Eng. Springer RIP
Icca-Fila Brasileiro RIP
Jezzabelle-Fila Brasileiro RIP
Paco-Argentine Dogo RIP