Author Topic: Afraid of the dark - fear aggression  (Read 1401 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Afraid of the dark - fear aggression
« on: October 19, 2006, 04:18:17 am »
Yup, my big, huge, giant puppy, is afraid of the dark!!

When we go out to potty before bed, if there is someone walking down the street, he will raise hackles and bark (and then usually try to hide behind me - brave pup, huh?).  If they talk to him or me, he is generally OK with it and tries to drag me over for petting.  He never barks at people during the day.

Also, at night, he will stand at the front window and bark at people walking by.

Is this something I should be worried about?  What can I do to break him of this?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 06:30:38 am by PennyK »
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Lyn

Re: Afraid of the dark - fear aggression
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 10:28:34 am »
Lola does this too, she was so bad that I could barely get her to potty at night. I just chalked it up to being a fear stage...

I can't remember exactly how old Teddy is.. but there is a second fear period between 6-14 months old.

Here's a site with more info on it... darn link isn't working.. just remove the spaces.  :)
www. diamondsinther uff.com/DevelopmentalStages. html

With Lola if something startles her she growls and barks.. her hackles also raise. I basically act like nothing is happening, even if someone is walking by.. usually a AH AH, quiet and try to regain her focus and get her to potty.

I was worried about fear aggression too. I thought she was turning into a psycho freak. LOL

But since I've been doing the ignore, correct and refocus she has gotten much better.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 10:30:13 am by Lyn »