Author Topic: My heart is BROKEN!!! Polly Update!  (Read 16413 times)

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: My heart is BROKEN!!! Polly Update!
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 11:16:13 am »
Amy Lyn,

I believe it is a heart breaking experience.
To get all syc'ed up about a new dog, and have ones kids all  syc'ed too, just to have it go the way it did with your family is awful.

Chalk it up as a lesson learned, thank the Good Lord no one was seriously hurt and move on.
Heal, talk about it with the kids and when the time is right if I were you I'd go get a puppy  ;D

This is a wondeful opportunity to teach your kids, life is filled with choices and we all make mistakes, it's how we come out of the experience with what we learned and how we use that new knowledge that counts.

You DID do the right thing.
Had it been me I would of marhed that hairy butt right back to the breeder too.
(((hugs)))
Looking forward to sometime down the road hearing about a new 4 legged family member your family gets.

Thank you, MSF! :) I appreciate your kind words and advice. We are looking into getting a puppy this spring, or summer. The girls are all really excited and we are too. :) We will definitely let you all know when we find one.

Thanks again! :)
Blessings!
Amy Lynn
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 11:17:09 am »
Thanks, Marina and Shelley! :)
Amy Lynn

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006, 12:02:51 am »
ooh amy lynN! where have i been this past week??  i'm soo sorry!! but i am VERY happy that your little baby is okay!!!  that's the most important thing!  i'm very happy though that the breeder took ms. polly back! now she can go to a house with lots of adults!  i have to agree with jaime, that your perfect #2 newf is out there somewhere!  i'll say my prayers that you two find eachother :)
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2006, 01:46:43 pm »
ooh amy lynN! where have i been this past week??  i'm soo sorry!! but i am VERY happy that your little baby is okay!!!  that's the most important thing!  i'm very happy though that the breeder took ms. polly back! now she can go to a house with lots of adults!  i have to agree with jaime, that your perfect #2 newf is out there somewhere!  i'll say my prayers that you two find eachother :)

(((Thank you)))
We were actually JUST offered Bear's half brother!!! He is 10 months old. We have to make a decision by Wednesday, so we are trying to decide if he will be a good match for us. He sounds just wonderful. How could he not be being related to Bear? :)

Thanks so much!
Amy Lynn
Amy Lynn

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2006, 01:48:16 pm »
Yay!!! I hope it works out for you!
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2006, 05:43:17 pm »
Now thats crazy! As you said how could he not be great, look at his brother. Good luck wit your decision.

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2006, 11:38:03 pm »
Thanks!  ;D I will definitely keep you all posted!  :D
Amy Lynn

Kirsti

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2006, 06:14:01 am »
Oh thats great! I'm with everyone else, go get that boy! the get pics (heehee, I'm in a picture mood today)

~K

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2006, 01:48:58 pm »
I am so sorry it took me so long to send an update on this. We found out that the puppy was still recovering from a patella surgery & the breeder said that he would still need to very slowly build up to doing normal things. He had prety much been crated for 6 months after his surgery. After doing a lot of thinking of what would be best for him and for us, we decided that he is still needing some peace and quiet so that he can effectively recover. This was a tough decision, but we feel that we made the right decision for him. As badly as we want him, we feel that it would have been selfish for us to bring him home knowing that it would be just too much for him. Our home is probably has too much excitement for a pup in his condition. :( 

We just found out that another breeder that we have been talking to has a female that is expecting a litter in February! :) We are going to find out how many puppies she is expecting on December 4th, so we hope to be able to get one of her pups. :) We are really excited.

I just thought I'd update you. :)
Amy Lynn

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2006, 07:37:18 pm »
wow, to send her home with matts? i dont care, that is totally irresponsible.
she knew you guys were taking polly, the dog should have been well groomed, not to mention whateveryone elese said, no need to repeat it.
P>S> i hope your daughter is ok, i totally dont see how this breeder could have sent this dog home to a house full of kids.
also, i am sure you know this, you admitted it in your post you were gonna keep an eye on any interraction between her and your kids after you got the feeling she was unsafe.
this should be done no matter! :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 07:46:36 pm by sarnewfie »
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline luvanewf

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2006, 11:40:23 pm »
     Hi Amy Lynn, I don't know if you remember me but I'm the homeschooler with four young children and welcomed you to the board when you first came?  Anyway, I'm so sorry to hear about what happened.  My family just had a similiar experience with our Newf, Solomon, when he was 8mnths.  We gave him back to the breeder and it was one of the hardest decisions we have ever made, BUT, it was the right decision.  You did the right thing.  Your kids come first.  I know there will be another Newf just perfect for your family.
     When we get another one I think we are going to look for a breeder who actually has young children in her/his home.  I'm thinking that if the parents have been raised with children and have great temperments with them then hopefully their offspring will too.  OR, if we decide to do a rescue then I think I would like the dog to be from a foster home that has young children to see if the dog is suitable for a family with children.  I don't know if these are good ideas or helpful to you at all but know that I understand what you are going through.  I'm so sorry.

Katie 

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2006, 02:37:45 pm »
Good luck.  I'm hoping for good things from that litter.
Thanks! :) I am, too! :) We will know how many the mother is expecting on Dec 4th.
Amy Lynn

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2006, 02:41:50 pm »
wow, to send her home with matts? i dont care, that is totally irresponsible.
she knew you guys were taking polly, the dog should have been well groomed, not to mention whateveryone elese said, no need to repeat it.
P>S> i hope your daughter is ok, i totally dont see how this breeder could have sent this dog home to a house full of kids.
also, i am sure you know this, you admitted it in your post you were gonna keep an eye on any interraction between her and your kids after you got the feeling she was unsafe.
this should be done no matter! :)

Yes...I agree that she should have been groomed. It was amazing how many matts she had. I know the breeder was working 12-14 hour days and said that she didn't get a chance to brush her out. She felt bad.

I agree that the kids and any dog should be supervised.
My daughter is doing great. We have a Chessie mix, who is now almost 10 years old and she spends a lot of time with him. I am glad that she has the great bond with him and I think that is helping her to not be fearful of dogs after that experience. Thanks for your kind words.
Amy Lynn

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2006, 02:46:55 pm »
     Hi Amy Lynn, I don't know if you remember me but I'm the homeschooler with four young children and welcomed you to the board when you first came?  Anyway, I'm so sorry to hear about what happened.  My family just had a similiar experience with our Newf, Solomon, when he was 8mnths.  We gave him back to the breeder and it was one of the hardest decisions we have ever made, BUT, it was the right decision.  You did the right thing.  Your kids come first.  I know there will be another Newf just perfect for your family.
     When we get another one I think we are going to look for a breeder who actually has young children in her/his home.  I'm thinking that if the parents have been raised with children and have great temperments with them then hopefully their offspring will too.  OR, if we decide to do a rescue then I think I would like the dog to be from a foster home that has young children to see if the dog is suitable for a family with children.  I don't know if these are good ideas or helpful to you at all but know that I understand what you are going through.  I'm so sorry.

Katie 

Hi Katie! :)

Of course I remember you. :) I am so sorry to hear about what happened with Solomon. I can imagine how heartbreaking that must have been when you had him from the time he was tiny. My heart goes out to you.

I agree that it would be great to find a breeder that is raising the pups with children. :)

Thank you so much for your kind words and support. I know your family will find your perfect big paw, too. :) Are you currently looking, or are you going to wait a little while?
Amy Lynn

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2006, 01:38:16 am »
It is not so much being raised "with" children, but, more, how much are they handled and put on their backs and socialized with children.
i dont have children, but i borrow some, and, it is important the children dont pick them up and drop them.
any children that come over are sitting their button the ground to play with the pups.
the handling goes on from the day they are born, daily thru the day they go home.

breedingbetterdogs.com/achiever.html

This is what i do to my pups from day one, many breeders raise them in the house until they get out of the box, than they are housed in the garage, or outbuilding of some sort wich i think is wrong.
Copy and paste breedingbetter dogs.com/achiever.html into your web browser bar, for some reason when i hit hyperlink and pasted the addy in it is not accepting it
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 01:47:25 am by sarnewfie »
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505