Author Topic: Potty Training....  (Read 1973 times)

Offline 2dogmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Potty Training....
« on: October 20, 2006, 04:45:55 am »
Hey everyone, well Nova is 8 weeks old now. Ive been working with her on the potty training and Im starting to get pretty frustrated to be honest. I know that when Im at work she cant hold it that long so I understand, but when Im home she still goes in the house. I try and catch her as soon as she wakes up or a little after she eats and its not really working. I need some help. I hate punishing her. Gus does great and I had hoped she would learn from him but thats not working either. Please, any advice would be so great. I need something thats going to be really effective....t hanks everyone!

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Potty Training....
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 05:13:13 am »
I wish I could help you; I'm having troubles too right now! WHen I brought Bella home, she went whenever and where ever, but within a couple weeks, I had her trained to go to the door! I was so proud, until this week, when she has begun to have accidents again. Already checked to make sure it wasn't a bladder infection, so I'm still trying to master the potty training thing!

I would say to hang in there, don't get frustrated at her becuase 8 weeks is still really small!  Is she crate trained enough to hold it when she's in there?  You could try to use the crate only to extend periods of time between outside potty breaks (to get her used to the idea that she should hold it until the right time). If it keeps her from going in the house, then it will help becuase every time they "wiz" inside it's a step backwards. I understand how frustrating it can be!  Best of luck, and sorry I couldn't be of more help!  :-\
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 05:28:03 am »
IMO 8 weeks is really young to be accident free(or even accident infrequent). LOL If catching her at her times is not working, then establish your schedule and train her to it. Take her out every 1/2 hour, and stay out there repeating your keyword (I use "potty") until she does, then praise to high heaven. wake her up if she is napping, and time it to fit in a meal in between. You can eventually extend the times for longer stretches as she gets older, but 8 week old bladders are tiny without alot of control. Keep her with you at all times, leashed to your waist if need be, and at the first sign of impending piddle, scoop her up and out the door. Praise her to high heaven when she potties outside, even if she started inside, and never punish, just ignore the accident inside and praise the outside. There is no easy way to potty train. It just takes patience, patience and most of all patience.
Stella

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 12:22:02 pm »
Lucah is about 21 weeks and only now is he out of his crate and into a
pin-like area we have for him.  He doesn't get full run of the house yet, but we can definately trust him.  I can even bring him to work and he just lays under the desk until I take him out an then he goes.  I still don't consider him housebroken though.

I wish I could give you a secret, but it really is just consistend diligence and a schedule. You almost need to make taking her out a mindless act like sneezing.  It is just something you always do no matter what. 

I didn't see but are you crating?  That helps a ton. I feel it is faster than WEE Pads or anything else.  I am sure you know about puppies and keeping their dens clean, but it really does help. 

Just stay confindent and know that eventually she will get it.