Author Topic: Solving a stinky bum  (Read 6761 times)

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Solving a stinky bum
« on: October 20, 2006, 07:30:55 am »
Rosie's fur is getting longer and sometimes when she tinkles, she gets a couple peepee drops on her hind legs or tail. And now she's got a stinky bum area. We've been brushing her to try to brush the smell out but it's not working too well. Every now and then we'll catch her cleaning herself like a cat.

Do you have this problem too? Should we just give in to getting her back area trimmed shorter and giving her baths more often?
Rosie - Newfoundland

Nicole

Re: Solving a stinky bum
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 07:58:52 am »
Cabeza has this issue sometimes. We don't show or anything..haha h...and he's a mutt...so, I just trim it really short. Its too much to keep it brushed and cleaned all the time, and trimming it very short solves the problem. I also will sometimes just grab a towel wetted in hot water and rub his bum down. He hates it, but, it works.

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 08:36:15 am »
I don't have long haired dogs, but have heard of people that used the no-alcohol baby wipes as a quick clean up.
Stella

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 08:41:37 am »
Hi,

You are sure it is not an anal gland problem right? Just asking as that can be handeled by a groomer for way less than you could pay me to do it myself.

http://www.veterinarypetcare.com/analglands.html
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 08:41:57 am by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 10:44:38 am »
I don't think it's an anal gland problem. She's as regular as regular gets and she's got poop the size of a mammoth (okay maybe not, but she's a large dog and correspondingl y large poop).

The doggie fresh wipes sounds like a good temporary solution until we're able to trim her back there.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 12:13:23 pm »
It sounds pretty invasive to the dog and offensive to the owner. We'll assume the more optimistic scenario, that she's just getting her pee on her fur, and go from there.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 08:19:57 am »
It looks like we've ascertained the problem. It looks like the stinkier-than-usual pee and her constant cleaning of that area were perhaps clues to a growing problem. She's had another onset of UTI. Throughout the night, she asked to go outside 4 times and attempted to pee twice each time, as if she couldn't get it out or what. She also had three accidents in the house overnight. So we took her to the vet this morning and it looks like another bout of UTI. She's had this chronic problem (at least twice a year, but it's her first one with us as her parents), so we're doing everything we can to clear her of the problem and avoid it in the future. She's now on antibiotics and I guess the vet gave her a shot of some steroid for the peeing pain (it's so sad to think she's in pain :( ). We're also going to give her some Cranberry pills, increase her Methionine dosage, and put her on a special diet prescribed by the vet.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 05:53:09 am »
Oh, poor sweetheart. Hope she gets better soon!
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA