Author Topic: adopting 2 newfs  (Read 3686 times)

Offline waldfamily

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
adopting 2 newfs
« on: October 21, 2006, 01:02:17 am »
Hi.  We are adopting two Newfs in a couple of weeks.  We are getting them from a friend of a friend who can't keep them anymore.  We are very excited.  They are almost 4 and come from a loving home.  I guess I'm just a little worried because I have read on a couple of Newf websites that they become so attached to their first family that a lot of times they become depressed and can't attach to a new family.  What do you think?

Hilary

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
Re: adopting 2 newfs
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 02:00:00 am »
Hi Hilary!
Bless you for adopting two of the most adorable dogs you'll ever meet in the world (ummm....I'm a bit biased).  :)

I can share with you that my first Newf, Barkley, was adopted into our home apparently because he had "ran away" from his first home.

In the first week that he was with us, he got out of our yard and we didn't know.  My neighbour came to the door to tell us that he had been standing out in the front yard, staring at the house for about an hour.

His loyalty and love for us was unwavering - and we were at least his third home.

I've also just adopted another newf, Anna.  She came from a very loving home as well, and she seems to be settling in and being an equal opportunity loving dog just fine.

Good luck!!!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 03:05:13 am »
We adopted two Labs (very similar temperament to Newfies) when they were 7 yrs old when their first owner died of cancer.  They loved their first owner very much and were with him all the time.  He was a farmer so the dogs were ALWAYS with him.  He hunted them, shared his lunch with them, took them everywhere in his truck, etc.  They were the center of his universe as he was theirs.  They were happy with us but it took about 6 mo before they were back to their happy old selves.  When we picked them up from their prior owner's wife after we came back from vacation, they were so happy to see us that they about turned themselves inside out.  We knew then that they had adjusted to us completely. 
Daphne

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 05:08:33 am »
We got Cowboy at 18 months (a Landseer Newf) and when my friend picked him up from his previous owner, he never even looked back.   She kept him for about three weeks to make sure he was healthy (HA!! :P) and he's been with us ever since.  He is completely a part of our family.  Since he came home to us, he never leaves my side unless it's to nap in my car!

Just keep treats in your pocket for the first couple of weeks and reward and praise often for good behavior and they'll be yours before you know it!  I'm SO excited for you!!!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 06:41:51 am »
COngratulation s on adopting the cutest dogs ever.  ;D (Sorry all, you know how I love my Bear) I've never adopted a dog before but everyone here has offered great advice. I'm sure you'll be fine. Coming together at the same age is good too.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 08:13:31 am »
It's actually surprising that you read that about Newfs. They attach to whoever's giving them lots of loving and hugs. We met Rosie, our sweet Newf, when she was about 3 (we spent a weekend with her) and was finally able to adopt her from the breeder when she was about 3.5 years old. She was completely attached to us on the weekend we met her (she would follow me around everywhere and would even wait at the bathroom door until I came out) and she fondly remembered us when we came to pick her up a few months later by giving us lots of happy barks and lots of licks and drool. Their temperament and personality is like no other breed (okay, I'm biased). You guys will love having your Newfs!
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 11:23:13 am »
Hi,

Hovis was adopted at 4 months old following a change of circumstances with the former owner. She settled in well although there is still a security issue with her. She gets upset if left, even with Bell to keep her company and is very demanding of time and attention due to the insecurity. She will also bark at the slightest noise or if someone approaches who she doesn't know. Saying all that, she is an adorable loving newf who does her best to please at all times. Bell on the other hand having been with us from 10 weeks old is far more laid back about life. My Advice, Love them and they will return that love 10 fold. Loyalty comes as standard along with drool, stubborness, comic stupidity..... .............

Andy Bell & Hovis
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline waldfamily

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 12:14:43 am »
Thank you for your advice.  I am hoping with a lot of love (which we are dying to give) they will love us back.  We are leaving for Disney with the kids today and are getting the dogs when we get back.  I have to admit I am more excited about the dogs.  I am looking forward to joining the board.  I live in Westford, MA.  I noticed that there were some other New Englanders.

Hilary

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 12:52:09 am »
Two newfs...you are so lucky! I am sure they will adjust in no time and you will enjoy their great unconditional love.