Author Topic: Anna and housetraining  (Read 2743 times)

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
Anna and housetraining
« on: October 22, 2006, 09:52:45 am »
Here's a conundrum!  The breeder that we adopted Anna from told us that she was housebroken, but still had the occasional accident in the house.

Anna is in no way, shape or form housebroken.  She piddles when and where she wants, but we're just cluing in now because she is a large dog with a large bladder! 

I just wish we had known from the beginning so we would have started with the housetraining from minute one.  Now we have to undo some already developed habits for her in our home, plus we both go back to work tomorrow!  We would have had the whole weekend, and I have to say that she's smart enough I think she would have got it over the weekend had we known.

The next thing just kind of adds insult to injury. 

She went into heat today.

ACK!

I truly didn't know what to do - I have never had an unspayed female dog before.  Ran to the pet store (thank goodness we JUST this week got Sunday shopping which I SWORE I'd never do but I did today honey!)and bought a diaper .... which just encouraged her to pee in it.

I know I'm sounding frustrated, and I guess I am only because we've had so much chaos here this weekend (not dog related) and today was supposed to be my day to get caught up on my schoolwork (I am a part time masters student).  I have done nothing but laundry (blankets, diapers, my own pee soaked clothes, rugs) and wash floors and carpets.

Arrrrrgh! 

But I loves her lots anyhow :)
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
Re: Anna and housetraining
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 10:09:39 am »
Eeep!

When Sasha was about 5 to 6 months old, we took her on a disastrous camping trip and ended up visiting my parents for the weekend instead (they had air conditioning :P and it was 117 at the campground).  Sasha had been perfectly housetrained at our house for months.  When we were at my parents house, she just piddled where ever she wanted!  Aargh!  (My parents were thrilled.)  Apparently, she was only housebroken at our house. ::)  However, she got it pretty quickly.  It was really a matter of showing her where was okay and where was not...

Sorry you're having such a rough weekend!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 10:10:00 am »
Sheesh!!  How frustrating! I'm sure the breeder meant well,  but it would be so much better if you knew, in advance, what you were getting in to!  SOOO...crate training in your future?

Sometimes it just seems overwhelming, but Anna will get it soon, I'm sure!!  To have her go in to heat, too, is just crazy!!  POOR YOU!!   :-\

Offline MooseOnTheLoose

• Gnawer
  • Me & Moose
    • View Profile
    • Midnight Therapy With Crystal
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 05:21:03 am »
Hey, I'm new here, but I just wanted to interject and say that I understand!  Clearly Newfs are big dogs, so when they mess in the house it can be quite a chore.  I am forever cleaning my carpets, removing stains and scrubbing my floors---and that's just from the dirt on my dogs' paws!  But I love them, of course, and will do what it takes.  Just last night, however, I plopped down on the couch with a glass of wine and I was just THROUGH.  Moose is a pup so he's all over the place and into everything;  I needed a good night's sleep!
"[He] possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
And all the Virtues of Man without his Vices." --Lord Byron on his Newfoundland friend, Boatswain.

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 07:04:47 am »
When we got Lucah from the breeder he didn't pee inside for 3 days.  We thought he was a genius and that housebreaking was done.  Well later that week he just started leaking like a waterhose so we started to watch him like hawks.

I know its frustrating when you pooch doesn't perform to the level you know they can...but you just have to stick with it and have a good sense of humor about the whole thing.

Stay strong.