Author Topic: Another Sibe in the bunch  (Read 11956 times)

Offline Siberexpress

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Another Sibe in the bunch
« on: June 25, 2005, 09:04:48 am »
Actually 2, Mark and Echo, oh yea and me of course  8)
If it doesn't have a double coat, you are not getting enough fur in your diet.
Ken

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Another Sibe in the bunch
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 02:31:26 pm »
Great avatar! Huskies are great dogs with the best temperments. My sister-in-law has one that is best buds with my Newf Bear...who now, thanks to Kobe loves to howl! It is soo funny to hear.
Post some pictures please so that we can see more of your great babies.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Siberexpress

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 02:53:23 pm »
Here are some pics of the rest, present and past.
Here is Mark, he was my first in this pack on the left, and Chief who has crossed the Rainbow bridge.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 02:55:42 pm by Siberexpress »
Ken

Offline Siberexpress

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 03:00:58 pm »
I am new here, so I don't know if/how to put two pics in a post.
This is Mark and Echo
Ken

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 03:05:26 pm »
Beautiful dogs! It must be great to have them where it snows! I used to live in Georgia and had 2 huskies that I rescued, they were always so uncomfortable in the heat and I felt bad for them. I don't even know why people breed them in the south! Here's a picture of Porscha, my schnooky-schnook who is waiting for me in heaven. (Cause I plan on going to the same Heaven as dogs.)

Offline Siberexpress

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 03:20:18 pm »
Beautiful dogs! It must be great to have them where it snows! I used to live in Georgia and had 2 huskies that I rescued, they were always so uncomfortable in the heat and I felt bad for them. I don't even know why people breed them in the south! Here's a picture of Porscha, my schnooky-schnook who is waiting for me in heaven. (Cause I plan on going to the same Heaven as dogs.)
I live about 3 hours away from you, Echo is from a breeder in Murfreesboro and Mark from a breeder here in Knoxville. I have had Sibes for years, From Southern California to New Hampshire. They really do learn to adapt to the heat. That and here they stay in the house most of the day when it is hot and they want to be outside when it is cold.
Porscha is a beautiful dog.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 10:58:52 am by Siberexpress »
Ken

Offline MaroonKellBells

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 10:43:55 am »
Welcome, fellow husky lover ;D Do your dogs run away when given the opportunity?  If not, how'd you train them to stay.  I'm begining "click" training, but so far Lennon has no idea what it means or how to react to it... :-[ Am I doing something wrong?

Offline Siberexpress

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 11:24:51 am »
Mark has had some obedience training, but I still don't trust him off lead, Echo is clicker trained for dog shows, mainly because she went crazy around the treats to get her attention.
So needless to say, they would both look back long enough to see their eyes and keep going.
I have had Sibe's for around 20 years, and never trusted them off lead, that and I am not as fast as I used to be and can't run as fast or as long  :D
I was in 7th heaven when the came out with Flexies  ;D
Ken

Offline irinad83

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 10:35:19 am »
I looove your dogs!
I'm a first time Huksy owner, and they are a challange thats for sure, but they are sooo fun!
I am looking forward to many great years with my crazy boy :)
Image hosted by Photobucket.co<span style= m" width="350" height="262" class="bbc_img resized" />Image hosted by Photobucket.co<span style= m" width="350" height="262" class="bbc_img resized" />

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 08:05:14 pm »
In regards to the off-leash topic, I agree it might not be possible with huskies. In the many years I kept my two spayed females, they ran away I think over 50 times, no exaggeration. They are master escape artists, and if you happen to live with other people who aren't careful about closing the door behind them, you're in trouble. Even if the dog loves you, they are way more excited about the chance to run run run like they were designed to do rather than come back home again. It can be really frustrating, but as we all know they are the sweetest most beautiful dogs, they are worth it.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2005, 02:00:42 am »
Welcome to the two newest huskies. They look happy in their harnesses. my Zeus who is a rescue has turned into a "cool air steeler" he places himself over the vents and no way to try and push him away. We live in Charlotte NC though, so who can blame him.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline pastrygirl23

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Another Sibe in the bunch (training them to run away)
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 11:11:02 pm »
Hi! We did clicker training with Alaska, what worked for us, (and we are still working on it) I went to home depot, and bought some rope (100ft) and tied large knots in it, and put a hook on the end. We hook her up to this and go to a large baseball field near our house,  we let her run, and we work on comming when called etc. you still have control, so they don't run into the street (that is what the knots in the rope are for) she has made excellent progress, but as you may know most sibes can never be off leash dogs. (prey drive, car smarts etc) With click training you have to time the click just at the right time, and make sure to TREAT! (hot dog weenies or cheese work wonders with Alaska) Then the dog associates the click with the treat, and they get the click when they do something good. So there for they put 2 and 2 together, and realize they do something good they get a treat! You can slowly get them off of the treats, so you don't have to carry a clicker with you the rest of your life, and they will work for praise too. Make sure that you PRAISE them also. That is very important. Clicker training did work for us to a certain extent. I can't say that it will work for everyone. Make sure that you treat and praise, and you will get good results hopefully!
~Amanda, Alaska & Aspen~

Offline siberescuegirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Tails of the Tundra Siberian Husky Rescue
irinad83 - your dogs are so cute!
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 12:47:00 am »
They look like they LOVE  playing together! :D

Offline Perdi's Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 11:45:07 am »
I am a husky lover too!  Yours are very pretty!   

Unfortunately ours has been missing for over 2 months.  We went on vacation and she went missing 2 days later.   My poor friend who takes Excellent care of all my animals, is as distraught as I am over it all.  We truely think that someone took her (or my theory, that the neighbors did something to her).  We have searched on horseback all over the woods near us, put out notices in the paper every other week and check the pound weekly as well as calling twice a week....it's maddening really.  She was a mix, but was 'husky' attitude/personality through and through....we went through a lot with her and she was on meds for hip dysplasia, arthritis and had a torn cruciate ligament in her knee.  I just hope whoever has her is responsible enough to take proper care of her.... :'(  The following pic was taken right before we left for vacation.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 11:46:04 am by Perdi's Mom »
Our pets love us no matter what....can't say the same for humans....

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 04:19:14 pm »
Oh, that's so sad.  I hope where ever she is, she is happy.

She looks alot like my Keiko.  Beautiful dog.