Author Topic: May have to go to a kennel for a month....  (Read 5826 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
May have to go to a kennel for a month....
« on: October 25, 2006, 06:25:06 am »
Things in my life are changing at lightspeed right now.  Hubby and I have sold the house and are going our own direction.  (House sold in 1 day and our closing date is December 1 - eeek!)

Since I will be taking the kids, and I have a good job, I'm going to buy a house!  I really don't think I will be able to find a house to occupy by Dec.1.  My parents will take me & the kids in for a few weeks, but not the pets. 

I may have to take Teddy to the vets office to keep him there for a few weeks to a month.  If it comes to that, what can I do to help him adjust (besides visiting him as much as we can?)  I hate the thought of leaving him there but my options are limited.

Any suggestions?
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: May have to go to a kennel for a month....
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 07:02:21 am »
Oh , I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles  :-[ I'll be praying for you ! As for Teddy , I used to work at a vet clinic ,I was the kennel manager for a year , and when we had folks that had to board an animal for an extended amount of time , I always thought it was nice when the folks would bring a blanket for them from home , and all of their favorite toys , and their own food and treats . And if you can afford it , buy some "playtimes" for him ! If they offer it anyways , then the kennel person can take them out for 15 or 20 minutes and just play ! But I think the biggest thing is just for you and the kids to visit him as much as possible ! It'll make all of you feel better  :)
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 08:51:04 am »
Hey Penny,
 I know that there are BPOers in Ontario..have you thought of asking them for help? I mean, perhaps they could keep Teddy for you until you find the house. That way, he'd be in a home setting, and you could visit him all the time.

Just a suggestion! Other than that, I've never boarded a dog for a long time, but I imagine that stuff from home would be way helpful. And maybe having him visit A LOT before you drop him off.

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 09:05:20 am »
I am so sorry about all that is happening.  If you would rather not kennel him, let me know.  My parents and grandparents are in Kingston ON they might be able to watch him or know of someone that could.

Rachel
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

angelsmama

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 09:24:35 am »
hopefully you can find him a sitter and not board him, sorry to hear of everything going on :(

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 09:46:31 am »
Well my first question (Where do you live) was answered already. I wish I lived closer! I would take Teddy in a heart beat for you while you're going through this!  Bella would love it and so would my boys.

I went through what you're in the middle of a couple years ago.  Stay strong!  It can be a rough ride... if there's anything I can do let me know.

Angeleen
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 01:09:41 pm »
Shoot, maybe we could even take him for a month! I know Kansas is a long way from Canada, but with the BPO train, nothing's impossible! And I'd be happy to do it for you, Penny! Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 01:50:02 pm »
Where in Ontario are you?
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 05:11:34 pm »
I'm so sorry Penny. You have a terrible situation right now but I'm sure that visitng Teddy often will make his time apart go by much faster. Let us know if you need anything.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 01:04:22 am »
I may have a solution!  I'm one of those people who hate to impose on others - I'd rather do it myself than ask for help.  But...help has been offered so I would be stupid to turn it down!

One of my friends lives on a farm and their Golden died last year (epilepsy).  They have been debating getting another dog for their young kids so they have offered to take Teddy for as long as I need.  She said it would help her remind her hubby why they need another dog.  She is home every day and he would be able to come inside and be a part of their family.

Her generosity astounds me.  Its seems I have so many friends willing to help me out.  What a wonderful feeling!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Lyn

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 01:47:07 am »
Glad to hear you have things figured out. :)

I saw your post last night and and I too am in Ontario.. so I talked to my hubby about bringing Teddy here. I would have loved to dog-nap.. erm I mean dog-sit him. ;D  ;)

Hubby was concerned about Bubba though.. he can be a bit territorial of the yard. If Teddy was a girl it would have been no problem though. LOL

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 02:26:47 am »
I also spoke to my husband last night; his first response was "yah right a St Bernard" he thought I was kidding but after a few minutes he realized I was serious and he was OK with it.  Unfortunately we are in Rochester NY not that far from you (depending where you are exactly) but a bit difficult for you and your kids to drop by and visit on a daily basis.

Nicole

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 07:57:47 am »
I may have a solution!  I'm one of those people who hate to impose on others - I'd rather do it myself than ask for help.  But...help has been offered so I would be stupid to turn it down!

One of my friends lives on a farm and their Golden died last year (epilepsy).  They have been debating getting another dog for their young kids so they have offered to take Teddy for as long as I need.  She said it would help her remind her hubby why they need another dog.  She is home every day and he would be able to come inside and be a part of their family.

Her generosity astounds me.  Its seems I have so many friends willing to help me out.  What a wonderful feeling!

That's great, Penny!!!! So good that Teddy will be able to be in a home-setting with kiddies!!!