Author Topic: Turkey is home!  (Read 12821 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Turkey is home!
« on: October 25, 2006, 05:12:26 pm »
Today I picked up Turkey and brought her home. I got to talk to Dr. Jerry briefly about everything. He said he is a little concerned about the swelling in her broken leg. It seems to be inhibiting the nerve function. So her broken (now pinned) back leg is just hanging there and she has no control over it.
BUT she is already trying to stand! Originally he didn't think she would even try for several weeks... hehe... but this is TURKEY we are talking about! So of course she wants to be on the move. I think it's actually scaring her that she can't more around like she used to, she seems to get pretty nervous when she tries to walk. :'( But what she needs to do is just lay down and rest.

So she ate a good dinner tonight and now she's cozy in Nigel's crate (her choice! who am I to argue about which crate she gets in?) and I am trying to figure out how I can sleep nearby her. I am so used to her sleeping right beside me, she has since she was 7 weeks old. I'm not sure I can sleep in a different room!

So... Turkey would like to thank everyone who sent her good thoughts, she says she is very thankful to be back home!!!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 05:13:24 pm by doghealer »

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: Turkey is home!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 08:54:51 pm »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o

Heal fast miss turkey and try and stay off  that leg. You will be running around in no time! Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 03:30:38 am »
YAY!!! TURKEY'S HOME.

Look at that face.  That is the face of a stinker.  She's going to be back to normal sooner than we expect.  I can see it in her face.

Welcome home, honey.

Tina

Stinker is RIGHT! She pulled out a bunch of her staples last night! :o The little turd!
Her pelvis needs more time to heal, but the kid keeps standing up. How do you slow down someone like Turkey??? She was even eating her breakfast standing up this morning, which is ridiculous.

I am really going to have to keep her confined. I bet anything if I let her out of her crate right now she would crawl/hop/drag herself into the living room and get on the couch somehow. ::)

But she has total bladder control which is AWESOME! :) I am so happy about that. But she hasn't pooped yet, which bothers me a little, since I know she has eaten two meals here since she's been home. :-\ This is like a roller coaster. I am just so thankful that she is home. And yep I slept on the floor next to her crate last night! :D

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 03:42:24 am »
Yeah Turkey..you are such a sweetheart. Wishing you a speedy recovery sweet girl :-*

Kirsti

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 03:56:03 am »
 Oh Turkey, its so good your home, now all you need to do is have a safe recovery~

~K

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 03:58:34 am »
this bears repeating....
Rebekah, I am so happy your Turkey is home, safe and sound....there is no place like home, surrounded by love, to help your girl heal!

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 07:41:08 am »
Poor Turkey! :-[

She feels like crap today. She asked me to leave her alone so she can rest. Does anyone know if Vitamin C would be good for her right now?? When I was at the grocery store today I had a hunch to buy some. I am trying to think of supplements and stuff to help her heal and make her more comfortable. It it weren't my own dog I could probably think of ten things! Somehow I cannot get my brain to work right. Ugh maybe it's stress? I feel like I became dumb in my sleep last night. Does that happen to people??
 :P

Turkey says THANKS to everyone for the big welcome home. :)

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 07:53:00 am »
First of all, YAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAY FOR TURKEY!

I'm so glad she's back home with her mama and daddy and all her brothers and sisters. That's where she belongs. She looks great, too. I mean, you can definitely tell she's going to make it through unscathed!

The first thing that came to my mind is arnica...I guess its more of a topical thing, though. It helps with bruising, swelling and lessens the chance of scarring. (Not that Miss Turkey cares about scars...but, it should help the pain of the bruises if they heal faster!)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 08:16:20 am »
YES! ARNICA! Thank you, Nicole. :)
She has so much bruising and swelling... yikes. I will get some arnica. ;D

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 07:20:49 am »
The poor little munchkin pulled out ALL of her staples as I slept like a rock this morning. So I woke up (late) to a gaping hole in her leg. I wasn't ready to see that.

She is at the local vet clinic right now, and this is awful, Will's dad is driving down from his vacation in North Ga to stitch her back up. My local vet didn't have time for Turkey today, but it needs to be done because the skin is already drying out, it's just a big mess. I have already had my nervous breakdown so thankfully I am on the other side of that now.

I should have gone out yesterday and bought her a dang cone but I didn't. And now she has to go through being put under anesthesia again, and the skin has to be cut so it's fresh, and then put back together. I feel awful on so many levels it is ridiculous. :'( :'( :'(

Advice to anyone in the world who has a dog go through surgery- just put the Elizabethan collar (a.k.a. cone) on them whether you think they need it or not. :-[

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 07:44:16 am »
Is it too late to put a moist pack on it?  I guess it is if they already know they are going to have to trim the skin.  That sucks!!  Did you get the collar or will your vet provide one?  I can't believe they didn't have time for her!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Anakalia

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 08:40:10 am »
Awwww poor Turkey!!  I seen the title "Turkey is home" and I got all excited!!  Then seen the poor girl tore out stitches!   :(  Sometimes I wish dogs could understand us when we say "LEAVE IT ALONE"!  I'm sure she'll be fine though, get stitched back up and hopefully there won't be anymore problems.  I'll keep sending those get well vibes her way!! 

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 10:44:45 am »
I'm sorry that Turkey is being a little turkey!  Hopefully the rest of recovery will be smooth sailing and uneventful.  It's never easy having to keep a high energy pup quiet.  I hope she feels better soon and lots of hugs and healing thoughts your way.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 10:52:18 am »
Ok, Turkey is home, again! She is a sad little muffin right now after being stitched up again. :( But Dr. Jerry came and took care of her. Boy am I lucky. It is amazing how lucky I am.

If I am REALLY lucky, Turkey's leg will heal. But it is not looking good. It might have to be amputated. :'( :'( :'( She seems to have very little nerve function in the leg. I am hoping for a miracle over here. I still cannot believe all of this is really happening. :'( Oh how I wish I could talk to her!!! At least now she is wearing her brand new cone!!!

Anakalia

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 12:30:28 pm »
I'm so glad Turkey's home, and I'm sure she's glad to be home too! Now tell Turkey to keep calm and no more biting stitches, hopefully she'll listen this time!  ;)

I really hope her leg heals with no more problems, but I did want to say that IF she does need to get the leg amputated it'll be ok.  I used to work as a vet tech and I assisted in a leg amputation, the dog was miserable before the surgery he had jumped out the back of a moving truck and his leg was in really bad shape.  I used to associate dogs with having human feelings so it was a little upsetting to think this dogs leg was going to be amputated, I was thinking he'd be all depressed.  BUT after the surgery it was AMAZING to see how quickly he recovered!  He was soooo happy to just be alive and well he could have cared less that he only had 3 legs!  When he was all healed he could still run, jump and play just like any other dog. 

I really hope I didn't upset you by bringing that up, I just wanted to let you know if it comes to that (hopefully it doesn't) that she'll be ok.  Turkey seems like a little fighter, though, I'm sure she'll be just fine and in a few months she'll be back to her old Turkey self!  I'm sending tons of get well vibes! :)