Author Topic: Separating, in general  (Read 3285 times)

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Separating, in general
« on: October 30, 2006, 09:49:17 am »
Hey fellow Saint owners,
Just read the most helpful post re gates and have more to ask re this... we're going on our third year with our two saints (male 4, female almost 10, rescued together through NHSPCA)and it's become clear that we have to 'quarantine' them when we're not home. The naughtiness is just unbelievable -- from garbage to cat box to counter surfing and stealing... We're doubling our efforts with NILIF training, but when we're not home... I'm wondering if there's any special trick to choosing the place or area.  I.e., I've read that some keep their pups in a bedroom with the door closed, some go in the basement... is the basic idea to keep them where they'll do the least damage?  ::) Any thoughts, ideas appreciated.
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Separating, in general
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 10:00:35 am »
Pretty much you want the room where there is the least amount of stuff they can get into and that everything they can get into is put out of reach.  Laundry rooms, bathrooms, spare rooms, kitchens etc can be good if you can dog proof them.  I know we keep half of one floor of our house dog proof to keep our girls in.  They get the kitchen and hallway and occasionally the bathroom and guestroom if they are dog proof.  If you don't have a suitable room you could try crating them.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 10:38:19 am »
I can't imagine leaving Teddy loose in the house!  He's a thief and a chewer - bad combination!

Currently we have a spare bedroom with linoleum floor where we put him.  He also sleeps in there at night.  (He did make one heck of a mess of the floor by the door when he was sick - tore it all up trying to get out so he wouldn't mess in his room)

I have no idea what I'm going to do with him in the new house!!!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 10:41:09 am by PennyK »
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline LMT

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 03:18:09 pm »
I can't imagine every leaving adi for an extended amount of time alone in the house! I crate him. He's just six months and well, very well behaved... so a quick run to the store and back when he's not too energetic is as much freedom as he gets. I don't think he'll ever really  get liberated, as I have two cats and just under 700 sq feet... He loves to chase and attack the cats. Which could mean I'd be walking into a disaster zone.

The scary thought it that the cage he is in now, which was passed on to me from my dad who used it for his labs, just won't be large enough as he keep growing. He's filling it out nicely now, but after the new year, we may have to go buy the next size up - the largest one available!

Good luck finding a solution that works for you. Adicus loves his crate and it guarantees that he won't be getting in trouble any time soon.
lmt.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 05:18:59 pm »
I dont think there is one rule to how to pick an area - just do whatever makes you feel the most secure. Some people preffer bathrooms because there is usually nothing to ruin in them (as long as you have a childsafety lock on the cabinet under the sink), other people pick their kitchen because it might be the easiest to babygate off with only one entrance/exit. Others pick their living room so the dog will have more room, etc. It is all a matter of personal preference.... I myself close zoey into my bedroom if i need to keep her somewhere because it is our den so she respects it more than any other room and also feels most safe and comfortabel there
RIP former BPO

Offline TheUnSaintlySaintClan

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 01:15:07 am »
My two saints are mischevious too when left alone. Simon wasn't bad alone, but when we brought home Heidi all **** broke loose. They chew, tear up paper, whatever they can think of. I came home one day and one of the parts of my sectional had been moved to the middle of my living room and tipped over. So now they are confined to the bathroom (the one that Simon didn't eat the door in haha). We've learned that a good 30 minute walk every day wears them out for awhile. I don't know if you have the time for it but it definitely helped...espec ially with Heidi.
"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich." ––Louis Sabin

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 08:17:57 am »
Great advice, all.  Thanks so much.  :) Re crating, my guys have never been in a crate.  They were rescued from a place that kept Bear chained outside and Nakita in a screen porch with outside access.  Bear's already created a crate of sorts by lying under the dining table (it's a perfect fit, though he has to scrunch to get in and out). ::) I hate to admit it, but buying two giant-sized crates that they might not take to is an expense I can't bear right now.  :-\  I'll keep you posted on the progress.  Thanks again friends!  :)
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)