Author Topic: Dogs in the autistic classroom  (Read 5882 times)

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Dogs in the autistic classroom
« on: June 26, 2005, 02:35:42 pm »
Does anyone know of any articles supporting the benefits of such a program? I would like to get Roxy certified through the Delta Society Pet Partners program and would love to bring her into our classroom. I would like some articles to back the benefits when I submit my request to the Board of Education. Thanks
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs in the autistic classroom
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 03:44:52 pm »
I don't know of any research off the top of my head, but I have no doubt that everything you find would support it completely. I bring Bear to school once in a while and he loves it...so do the kids. It is great because I work on the "bad side" of town and it has really taught the kids how to treat and respect animals. They respond so well to him and vice-versa. I will keep an eye out for articles though. Good luck with your B.O.E.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Magoosmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 04:50:08 pm »
Excellent!!!! Give me some time and I will find some articles. I am on occupational therapist who works in the schools and have started to "specialize" working with children with autism. When I was an undergrad I did a pilot study with children with autism in a group home and a therapy dog. We unfortunately could only set up 1 visit due to lack of time but some of the result were amazing. One kid did not interact with any humans but as soon as he saw the dog, he lit up and ran to the dog! He would pet the dog and brushed it too.
   Anyway, I think the Delta Society website would have links to articles and I will look too. Animal assisted therapy is one of my career goals so I am very interested in what you come up with. By the way, what area do you live in? I am in the Chicagoland area.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 05:45:23 pm »
I don't have an articles to give you, but I will tell you that I work in a special ed classroom right now, and animals are all of the students very favorite thing (ironically, except for the one autistic boy, whose favorite thing is trains). Our town has a "challenger" baseball league and one day I took Zoey to one of their baseball games so  I could watch them play and they could not get enough of her! Everyone was all over her and treated her like she was their best friend. Ever since then, every day at school one of the kids in particular would come up to me and say "wheres my doggie" (meaning zoey).
RIP former BPO

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 08:11:54 pm »
I did find some very interesting articles, books and even videos to purchase. Roxy is in the "she is driving me crazy" stage right now. I know by 4 months she should be getting the obedience thing but it is my fault because I picked up a summer job and have not spent the time with her that I wanted to. Don't get me wrong... she is not BAD!!.... but...she is not good either! :) I have confidence that we WILL get there.
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix