Author Topic: Dog bed?  (Read 3972 times)

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
Dog bed?
« on: October 31, 2006, 09:09:31 am »
Since Lucah is done with his crate training we need to get him a good bed. Any suggestions?

We would like to get something that will last for a while, so big is best...but we don't want to break the bank on this one.  I know that in this great forum we have so many people we so many dogs...there should be someone in here that knows of a "deal" or a "great find".

Pictures would be great..thanks.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 09:27:09 am by Lucah's Folks »

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Re: Dog bed?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 09:37:11 am »
Hi,

I got one here. http://www.mammothoutlet.com/  lasted pretty well but then Winslow just decided it need a new cover.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 04:06:46 pm »
My dogs have Orvis beds. They're kind of pricey, though (gift from a friend of mine). Sadie is laying on Riley's right now (they have their names monogrammed on them and Riley's bed is *huge*). Riley doesn't use his much, so I moved it to the living room-that way, Sadie can use hers in the bedroom when she's not on my bed, and Riley's in the living room. She's a spoiled dog... LOL

Here's a link: http://www.orvis.com/store/shop.aspx?dir_id=1633&shop_id=1645

Riley, on the other hand, prefers my bed. I've tried to keep him in a stay on his bed, but as soon as the lights go out and I get in my bed, up he comes. It's frustrating, because my backyard is very dusty (not much grass), which means the dogs bring dust in, even though they aren't in the yard all that much. My blankets get so dingy looking very quickly. I'm constantly washing them. If Riley does decide to get off of my bed, he usually just sleeps on the floor next to the bed. Silly dog.

As far as less expensive beds, Costco had some good ones last winter. I got one for my dogs and it lasted until Riley peed on it. I drug that thing all around the house, too.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 07:08:13 pm »
Cowboy and Chester haved Orvis beds too.  Cowboy took over Chester's bed (monogrammed, doncha know!) and Chester was left with Cowboy's old bed (no monogram  :().  Cowboy's bed has been through many washings and had to be restuffed (the ugly part of seizures is the urination and defecation  :P) but the fabrics have held up well.  I do think Orvis beds are the best-lasting beds we've found.  All the rest of the beds have lasted months; we're on years with the Orvis ones.

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
UPDATE Re: Dog bed?
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 07:37:03 am »
My wife and I went out this weekend and started looking seriously for dog beds.  We went to half a dozen pet shops and couldn't really find anything to accomodate our big paw, Lucah.  On a whim we stopped by a futon store to see if they have a small version since Lucah loves to lay on the futon. We were there for maybe 30 minutes going back and forth on ideas and options. Finally the owner of the store shows us this tri-fold floor mat.  It is about 3 1/2 inch high foam mat that folds up.  It is primarily used as a guest bed, but could definately will work for our Lucah.

The bonus was since it was damaged they let us have it at 50 bucks!  Usually it goes for $150!  But due to a little tear in the cover, which by the way is water proof, we got it for 60% off.  The bed is made for outdoor use so it has a great water proof cover that is removable. We just throw a blanket over it for comfort.

So thanks to the Futon Shop for the hook up, of course Lucah won't sleep on the thing yet...but I think he will come around.

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 03:38:22 am »
Hi,

Look for Upholstery shops!! The foam would be remnanats from them repairing furniture. Hope that helps.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad