Author Topic: Leonburgers don't have any known health problems?  (Read 12868 times)

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Leonburgers don't have any known health problems?
« on: November 01, 2006, 08:23:53 am »
OK, all you Leo experts, I met two wonderful Leo's over the weekend, and their human told me that she chose the breed because they have no health problems. No HD, no eye problems, no nothing. Is that true???  It sounds too good to be, but I thought I would ask. Everyone's biased about their breed... including me! ;)
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Leonburgers don't have any known health problems?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 08:27:19 am »
I don't know of any specific health issues with Leos, but I think with any giant breed dog you do have to be careful with them so that problems don't get out of hand. 

They are beautiful, wonderful dogs, though, from all I've heard!!! 

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 08:34:39 am »
I agree with you, no matter what the breed, special care is required to ensure a healthy adult dog. She made it sound as if they're 100% problem free, and that was one reason why they had declined to be AKC members for the last 20 years (although she did tell me a "splinter group" just joined).   
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 08:48:56 am »
Thanks for the link. It's good information! The two that I met over the weekend, bring my total "Leo Encounters" to 4, which is fairly high I suppose, under the circumstances. I've thought about making it my next dog, becuase they just have such mellow, trusting energy; but I have to say I am also partial to Newfs. That article makes perfect sense. 
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline msducky13

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 04:03:23 pm »
I have a Leo golden mix that is about 5 years old. So far the only problem that we have had is the ear infection. We think it is a food allergy (wheat?) but not sure. If you are thinking about getting one make sure you are ready for a dog that will not leave your side. Mine girl is very attached to me, She follows me everywhere.

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 06:58:49 pm »
Well, you would hope that anyone who was going to get a new puppy, Leo or otherwise, would do their own research! But, I can understand your frustration at people misrepresentin g the breed.  THanks for the info!
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 02:19:27 am »
That Leo Watch site has some neat information.  They def have health issues like all dogs do.

Newfs are nice, mellow dogs who also have health issues.  The breeder we got ours from does the hearts and cystinurea checks, but we still wound up with a dog with entropion, bad hips and knees, and a retained testicle.

It's all a gamble, IMHO.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 03:11:40 am »
Yep, it sure is!  I sometimes worry about what I'm "in for" with Bella, but I do my best to watch her exercise and keep her from bounding on stairs and such. I supplement, etc. in hopes that I will somehow be able to stave off some of the health issues I know Bella's predisposition ed to.  I have never owned a pure breed before her, and I can already see a huge difference in health.  Food can easily bother her and make her itchy, treats can alter her BM's, etc.  My other dogs ran, ate (including things I would recommend NEVER giving a dog- I have my little boys to thank for that!), never had an allergy syptom, dry skin, strange BM's, etc.  Health wise my mutts were a breeze, but temperment was a different story! And therein lies the trade off...
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 12:44:02 pm »

Wow....I am always amazed when I hear of this kind of stupidity - someone is out there walking around saying they got Leos (or any purebred dog) because there are no health problems.  I have a bridge to sell her :)

Seriously, of course Leos have health problems. Anyone who does their homework should at least be checking with the national breed club, as well as the local breed club for information.  The Leo club clearly outlines their breed health issues, as all breeds I know of:

http://www.leonbergerclubofamerica.com/health.aspx

Included as problems are Hip Dysplasia (duh - all large breeds), OCD, Addison's disease, Entropian/Ectropian (eyes), bloat, and osteoscarcoma.

They also have a health committee which has already been posted here (Leowatch.com)

My hat goes off to the Leo community - I think they are doing an outstanding job with their breed and they are clearly working hard to try to limit breeding and ensure their breed does not get over-bred.  I hope they succeed.  They have some wonderful processes in place, including certifying each dog as breeding quality and clearing for breeding before approving such.  I hope the Leo club does not get ruined by the AKC and can hold on to the standards they have worked so hard to establish.

My breeds could learn a lot from the Leo community!
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline balletprincess

• Gnawer
  • Sir alfred of Rossnick (my mothers 1st Champion)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 07:20:25 pm »
I'm soory but my mother was the 1st to import leo's in to the U.K. the fact that they have no health problems is un-true. Though they are breed by many breeder to reduce the risk of health problems it is by any means never indefanate. As with many large breeds caturacts is a problem though it doesn't seem to effect the dogs servily. As a child we had a leo that was blind due to cateract and she was very happy for many yrs. There is no such thing as a perfect dog and never will be. Like humans dogs have problems to that efect some and not others 

Offline pbenn

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 01:31:04 am »
I am a Leo owner and have been for 11 yrs. I am currently waiting for my next one to arrive next week.
Leos are prone to Yeast infections in the ears.. have you had him checked for that at the Vet??
You can get alot of information at: You really should have accurate information.It prevents alot of suffering.
:D :)

www.leonberger clubofamerica. com/breedinfo.

They have tons ohttp://aspxf info on the breed, and They are Wonderful dogs!!!