Author Topic: BARF Diet  (Read 4445 times)

Offline fcsantos

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
BARF Diet
« on: July 06, 2005, 04:48:00 pm »
Has anyone tried the Barf diet with their dogs? If so how is it working? I have read a little about it and would like to know more. Thanks

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
Re: BARF Diet
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 05:09:10 pm »
I have been strictly a raw feeder for almost 15 years. Zero dog food. All raw.

If you have any particular questions, I will be happy to try to answer.

I would suggest you get a couple of books, first off:

The Ultimate Diet by Kymythy Schultze
Give Your Dog a Bone, and Grow Your Pup With Bones, by Ian Billinghurst, DVM

There are several good mailing lists at Yahoo, and this is a great way to gain info. Join one, introduce yourself, and you will be intereacting with a large group of raw feeders who can answer any question you might have.

Raw feeding is not that complicated. Anyone can do it.

It takes more time, shopping, planning and sometimes prep than just dipping kibble out of a bag. Sometimes (not often) it can be more expensive than a kibble food.

I must say, tho, after well over 10 years feeding strictly raw to dogs from 21 days to 11+ years, and everything in between, that it is without a DOUBT one of the best things I EVER did for my dogs.

It's a journey of learning and once you start, it's almost impossible to consider anything else.

I have often wondered how any rational cognizant human being could ever think that any animal should or COULD live it's life without any fresh food.

More questions?

Let me know.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

ann

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 06:03:21 pm »

i have no questioms about raw feeding but i will tell you i do alot more than dump kibble in a bowl i buy the best food and i do give my dogs cooked meat and fruits and vegies but i will not feed raw and its not because i'm lazy its because i don't believe in the diet, you do thats fine but don't act like people who feed kibble are lazy.......... ......and i am very rational but i don't and will not accuse anyone who does not think the same as i of not being rational......

ann

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 06:25:58 pm »
Amen Ann!

RedyreRottweil ers, back before you fed raw, were you a lazy irrational person who didn't care about your dog? Probably not.... so let's not judge people who make different choices than we do.

Vicki

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 07:45:49 pm »
Not trying to bait anyone, or insinuate that feeding kibble is a bad thing. These days there are some excellent choices out there for those who choose to feed their dogs in this manner.

The SIMPLE FACT that I stated is that it takes longer, and more time, and more prep, to do raw. It's one of the drawbacks of it for sure, which is why I listed it.

Not meant AT ALL as any indictment of anyone who feeds any sort of kibble at all.

;D

But I do thank you for your comments. Maybe you could ask someone to clarify something before you load the big guns.

;)
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 07:48:47 pm »
We obviously all love our dogs here...no doubt...& I think we all do what we think is best for our dogs too...Samson is on a kibble that I thought he would do well on after long months of research, checking ingrediant lables, asking advise from other dog owners who I look up to & from Samson's trainers...I didn't just pour some kibble in his dish & wish him luck with that!...I also feel I am cognizant as I did research BARF & RAW diets before I got a dog & was researching breeds...I researched breeds of dogs for 2 yrs. before I chose a breed & researched feeding methods during that whole time too...Sammy does get some cooked meat & loves carrots...When I come across something that he likes, is good for him & he can stomach (sensative tummy) I sure make sure he gets some in his diet...I am fairly sure I am reasonable unless it comes to someone blatantly being irresponsible or neglectful to their animal...At least I do well enough to keep my 12 fur babies & 2 children healthy, balanced & happy...& my life, family & home is running quite well...Samson gets a good kibble & some extras...I feel I am doing right by him...No one will guilty me into anything else.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 07:57:00 pm »
If you don't want anyone to take offense Redyre then please don't insult the people here that choose to feed kibble...You insinuated that anyone who didn't feed any fresh food wasn't rational or cognizant...I know plently of people who love their dogs & have healthy & happy dogs who feed only kibble as a main staple to their dogs diets...These are people who are rational & aware...This is their choice for the dogs they love...I am only saying live & let live.

ann

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 07:57:51 pm »

your comments are baiting but thats ok.i know my dogs are well taken care of..
load the big guns...odd thing to say.....but this is a happy site and i respect that...

ann
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 08:00:23 pm by ann »

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 08:10:38 pm »
In rereading my post, I can see how someone might take those comments in the way you saw them.

I didn't realize that stating something that I really have often wondered about would offend people.

For that I truly apologize.

It's just one of those jaw droppers for me, was definitely not intended to insult anyone.

Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 08:31:30 pm »
Thank you....I know that you are passionate about RAW feeding & that's great!....I have heard of many many people who have dogs that do wonderfully on RAW & I think if it works for you well then, by all means, do it!...It's not just on this board but on many that the RAW & BARF feeders are so passionate about it that I have seen many many times kibble feeders become insulted by their choice of words...I have yet to see a kibble feeder use words that are insulting to a BARF or RAW feeder...If someone were to say that they didn't see how any rational or cognizant person were to feed raw meat how would you feel?...I am glad we can agree to disagree. ;D