Author Topic: Please send some prayers & good energy for Scout.  (Read 14963 times)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Please send some prayers & good energy for Scout.
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2005, 05:51:42 pm »
luvmenewfs, I totally agree with you, there should be a warning, but for some reason, there are not too few things out there for our pets, that are not very good for them, and you know with our giant dogs, it takes a BIIIIG thing in order for them not to be able to crack it and bite a piece off and then swallow it. I know I will never do greenies again, thats for sure.

I am also soooo glad scout is feeling better, good thing it is a big dog, a 2,5" greenie could be rather painful to pass lol.....

I am also sending my thoughts to Cowboy, and hope it will be a long long tiime before he has another seizure.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2005, 07:14:17 pm »
There is a warning on the back....very small letters!  And who reads all that stuff anyway?  The assumption is that if it's out there on the counter it's safe for dogs!!! 

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2005, 04:09:09 am »
We are very trusting consumers aren't we?

Another thing I was warned about by my breeder for our Newfies...neve r give a tennis ball.  And sure as anything...on a list I belong to three posts in one day about a Newfie getting the tennis ball stuck and choking.  One passed away.
How tragic.  I wouldn't have even thought about it if she hadn't told me right away.

So I buy giant breed tennis balls.  They are 4, 5, or 6 inches in diameter. 

luvmenewfs

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2005, 12:30:44 pm »
I got the same advice as well.  It scares me when we are in public areas and people want to throw a tennis ball for them.  I hate to be such a jerk (okay, not really ;D) about stopping the fun, but I try to carry a big ball, and appropriate treats for them when we are out.

ann

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2005, 05:49:51 pm »

my hubby thinks i'm nuts couse i check everthing out before my dogs get it..most people don't realize how many things can hurt or kill a dog.....greeni es are no longer in mt house and bully sticks to i hade to pull one out of scout mouth and i had to pull a pig ear out of madie she was chocking very scary...so latley the only thing they get to chew on are large very thick femer bones..only when im there...

ann

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2005, 07:52:24 pm »
I have to agree with Ann!  Both Newfies get huge raw bones....Chest er, the baby gets the leftover ones that Cowboy has taken the marrow out of.  I don't think he needs that amount of fat while he's growing so fast.  They last about a day here.- I give them to Cowboy frozen (a marrow-pop anyone???) and by the time he gets all the good stuff out, Chester is ready to pounce! 

Cowboy has destroyed all but the biggest nylabones so he doesn't get those either.  BIG jaws...BIG teeth...HUGE muscles!!!