Author Topic: Help with Newfies (Manhattan/New York)  (Read 9907 times)

Offline helenuws

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Help with Newfies (Manhattan/New York)
« on: June 26, 2005, 09:22:10 pm »
My fiance and I are considering adding a Newfie to our family fold, and I would love some feedback from current Newfie moms and dads.

About us, and our situation...  I (Helen) work full time, and my fiance is a stay at home dad.  Our children are of the four legged variety.  We have a 14 month old Golden Retriever (Emma, the light of our lives), and three kitties (Hannibal, Punkin, and Reilly).  We live in Manhattan, right at Central Park, in a huge, seven room apartment (half of the floor in a prewar building- first floor, so no stairs to mention). 

While we don't have a fenced in backyard, per se, we do have the park right there, and we use it quite extensively.  Dogs are allowed off leash every morning before nine am, and after nine pm, so Emma gets a great deal of supervised play time, running around here and there with her friends.  She currently gets about five to six walks per day, with the first in the morning being about 45 minutes to an hour, and at least an hour and a half at night (the off leash stuff).

I am hoping to get some feedback from other Newfie parents regarding how you think (from your experience) a Newfie would blend in with our lives. 

I would -love- to hear from other Newfie parents in Manhattan or greater New York City, and if possible, I would love to meet with you and your Newfie.

Oh!  I should mention that we have absolutely no desire to show a pup- we just want a loveable new addition to our family to be spoiled and kissed.   Our new pup would be spayed/neutered when age appropriate.

Please feel free to email me directly at gheilert@yahoo.com

Thanks so much guys!

Helen
gheilert@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 09:24:00 pm by helenuws »

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Newfies (Manhattan/New York)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 09:56:10 pm »
Helen,
What a brilliant woman you are to want to add a Newfie to your family.  I have two Newfs living with me at the moment...a 2 1/2 year old Landseer (Cowboy) and an 18 week old brown pup.  I've had Newfs for the last six years and it has been an absolute joy to add them to the family mix.  We also have three cats and four kids (young adults).  Rhoda Lerman is in up-state New York and wrote a wonderful book about living with Newfies  and Cowboy is from her.  She's a great resource.  You can do a search on her or her kennel at Blue Heavens Newfoundlands. 

As I saw on someone's avatar, dogs make great pets but Newfs are family.  It's SO true!  You will, of course, have to take them out regularly but I wouldn't think living in an ap't would cause any problems because the want to be with their family 24/7.  We've had NO problems adding Newfs to the family at all!

Let us know what happens!!! and you MUST send pics when you get them!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 09:58:50 pm »
Hi Helen! I am not from New York but I do own a wonderfully lovable Newf in California. We too live in an apartment (1st floor, 2 bdrm, 2 bath with a patio) and he does just fine. He gets regular walks and plays alot with other large doggies in the neighborhood. He is truly the love of our life and like you our only child.
SInce you live in the NY area, here is site you can join where lots of Newf parents are- both in NY and the East Coast in general. They are awesome people and would love to meet you I'm sure. They  have regualr get togethers and I am so jealous we can't make it since we are on the other coast. The site is strictly for Newf Owners....it is www.newf.net. Good Luck in your search and let us know when you get your new puppy. I can't wait to see pictures. Welcome to Newf Club by the way!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 10:19:48 pm »
Hi Helen!

What a brilliant woman you are to want to add a Newfie to your family mix!  I have two of the loveable giants...a 2 1/2 year old Landseer boy (Cowboy)  and a 19 week old brown boy (Chester).  We also have three cats and four young adult (at least they think they are!) kids.  The Newfs have been a fantastic addition to the family!  We are SO lucky!  We don't live in an ap't but I just can't believe that it would be an issue because they just want to be with their family.  A wonderful resource in up-state NY is Rhoda Lerman who has written a wonderful book on living with Newfies ( you can do a search on her on Amazon) and she is Cowboy's breeder.  She knows more about the breed than just about anybody!

As someone has said on this site, dogs make wonderful pets but Newfs are family.  It's so true!  Good luck and keep us posted and send pictures once you have your baby!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 11:28:07 pm »
Hi Helen, I am not from NY, not even living right in a city ( a bit outside) and I dont have a newf. So not a whole lot of things I could add. But I have something that I would like you to think about, and a lot of other people too. You  hear so often, how dogs dont belong in apartments how they SHOULD have a yard (there are even rescue groups who would not adopt a dog if you dont live in a house with a yard) I think that way of looking at the situation is very narrow minded.

Yes, getting a large or giant breed puppy and living in an apartment on 25 th floor, I could see issues, harder to potty train, or if you live in an apartment building with only stairs, and with all the strain on the joints from growing so fast, it would be a little too much exersise for the puppy, having to climb the stairs a billion times a day, as he needs to go potty. So yes I can see that it would in certain ways be a bit harder, and take a bit more work from mommy and daddy.

BUT on the other hand. Well cared for and loved dogs who lives in apartments gets a lot of time with mommy and daddy when being walked, time that maybe the dogs in families with big yards dont get as much. When you dont have a yard, you take your dog out several times a day, to go potty and some longer walks too. With a yard it is so easy to just let them out to go potty, and sometimes when time is short "yardwork" is all they get. Not a bad thing, but I dont have to go further than to myself. We have four dogs, and acre fenced in yard and sometimes they go out in the back yard to go potty, sometimes I bring them out for a short potty walk. They have several times of fun play a day, which is the upside, you dont have to go anywhere, they have it at home the whole time. But that in my eyes is not a substitute for bringing them places or take them to the park where they can play or just see or meet other dogs. So sometimes when things get real hectic around here, I feel guilty, I know my dogs have not had a good long walk in a couple of days, because I have the yard, so easy and time saving to just let out. An apartment dog, even busy days would get the walks because there is no alternative.

Soooooo I can see upsides and downsides with both ways of having dogs. I lived in a townhome for a short time when I had danes, I got a puppy and gosh...... I thought I was going to break my back, I carried her up and down those stairs I am sure 20 times a day, to go potty, until I just couldnt make it anymore, then I worried that her hips would be bad because she had to walk those stairs too much, she was fine had perfect joints as an adult. So I guess no matter how you live, there is always issues you have to be aware of, but I truly dont think there is many situations where you cant work through the issues if you really want that dog.

I hope you get your newf. and I am sure he/she will have a great NY life

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 07:26:57 am »
Well said, Marit!!!

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 07:35:51 am »
Well we dont have a newf but we have a saint.People are always saying "boy you must have a big house?"Why would they think that?I dont go up to my husband who weighs a solid 210 "boy honey time for you to move out.Our house is too small for you."In this case I dont think size matters,so get what you want,life is short.

Offline TwoNewfies

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 09:19:14 am »
Hi Helen!  Welcome to BPO! We'r elooking forward to hearing more from you:)  We have 2 Newfs. Bella Rose is 11 months and is brown, and Rocco is almost 4 months and is black.  Bella was our first Newf.  A little background info on us:  we had a Golden we had to put down last March for biting. Many people are always surprised when they hear that.  Looking back I beleive it was bad breeding, but needless to say we tried everything with our Golden...took him to animal behaviorists, had private sessions, had him at the vet for a full work up and everythign was "fine".  We worked with him and he seemed to snap once a year and bite.   After he bit myself, my hisband twice and my mom, and last March attacked my parents JRT we decided we had to do something and since the Golden Rescue would not take him due to biting we ended up putting him down. I cried for a week. We love dogs and decided to really research breeds and what would fit best with our personalities and lifestyle, and we knew we didnt want to get another Golden. WE found that we really admired the traits of the Newf, and we began contacting breeders and asking a lot of questions.  We made the decision to go with a Newf and were fortunate to bring Bella Rose home last fall.  Let me say that she has absolutely surpassed our "expectations". She is so loving, nurturing, trustworthy, is wonderful with kids, and a loving companion. We just love her to death.  We fell in love with her and decided to get another one ;D  We went to some dog shows this year and found a breeder a few hours away, who had blacks which was what we wanted this time.  We brought Rocco home in May and the two are inseperable, and are getting along great.  We live in a home, our yard is a decent size but isnt huge.  We exercise them daily by taking walks, and now in summer they are starting to swim a bit more. Rocco is a natural already!  I know many people share the assumption that since you have big dogs "you must have a large yard for them, it isnt fair to the dog if you don't". Boy have we heard that a lot :)  But our gang does just fine with our space, and with the exercise they get each day.  It sounds like you have the space you need right across the street from you which is fabulous. I know you and your husband would be so happy wth a Newf. Let us know if you have any other questions and you know we'll want to see pictures of the baby when you have him/her!
Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 09:39:57 am »
Helenuws, I have 4 words for you - GET A NEWF NOW!  The misconception about big dogs is that you need a big house or a big yard.  Big dogs are actually well suited to apartment living.  So many apartment buildings have a maximum weight for dogs which makes no sense.  The thing about Newfs, which probably goes for most dogs, is that they need a lot of love.  If you constantly left your Newf alone for long periods of time, they might get very melancholy and even self-mutilate themselves.  But you have a stay at home husband so that shouldn't be a problem.  The only side effect of Newfs is there's lots of hair and lots of drool to deal with.  If you are a neat freak, Newfs are not the Dogs for you.  Be picky with the breeder you go with, don't just go with the first one that will have a litter that is convenient for you.  Do your homework, check their track record.  See if they breed Newfs for the sake of breeding and profit, or if they do it to improve the bloodlines of the breed.  Newfs are true gentle giants and will add such quality and character to your life.  GOOD LUCK!  By the way, a seven room apartment in Manhattan next to Central Park?  Damn!!!  CHA-CHING!!!! Who are your neighbors, Donald Trump and Leona Helmsley?  
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 10:05:03 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline afrostegirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 01:52:43 pm »
quote author=jules link=topic=1387.msg13694#msg13694 date=1119879351]
Well we dont have a newf but we have a saint.People are always saying "boy you must have a big house?"Why would they think that?I dont go up to my husband who weighs a solid 210 "boy honey time for you to move out.Our house is too small for you."In this case I dont think size matters,so get what you want,life is short.

That's hillarious.  I'm a first time poster to BPO, but been "stalking for a few days."  I've been wanting a newfie for a few years.  Just recently applied to the rescue list of the Great Lakes Newf Club.  When I talk about wanting a Newf ,friends and family often say," Your house isn't big enough!"  Now, a have a great comeback!  Hubby outweighs the average newf and he fits just fine in our house!  HaHa.  I read the post last night and have already used the line twice today.  Thanks!  Jessica

Nicole

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2005, 04:15:40 pm »
I'd just like to add that I read Rhoda's book "In the Company of Newfies" and its a MUST READ!!! Its a wonderful, beautiful book that eloquently describes the Newf personality. AND, her dogs are gorgeous. AND she's got TWO litters of Landseers coming!!!! And, she's sweet and gracious.

AND...I live in an apartment. Not a teeny one...two bedrooms, a big living room and good-sized kitchen..and its on the third floor. Cabeza is only half Newf and weighs 100 pounds, but, our apartment is more than adequate. Matter of fact, right now, I don't even know where he is. (He likes to sleep under our bed, which is sort of loft-like) That would be an entirely different story with a small dog! hahaha! They make sure that you know exactly where they're at! Everyone is right. Cabeza could care less about space, all he's concerned with is that he gets enough lovin' every day. He asks for it when he wants it (the "Big-Dog Lean") and is very sad if we're gone too long. Fortunately, my boyfriend is self-employed, and Cabeza gets to join him on almost every job. He's hardly ever alone.

I think that with the access to the park, you'd have NO PROBLEMS with the pup-to-be. I take Cabeza to the beach (The Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore on Lake Michigan) almost everyday, and he gets tons of exercise there. He's fine.

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 06:28:09 pm »
I'm no expert, but the common belief that you have to have a large house for a Newf...I don't agree with it.

Newfies love to be with their people.  They don't romp in the house (most of the time  ;D), and they don't require queen size beds, nor do they require their own room. 

They do require excersize, but that doesn't mean a gym needs to be set up in your house for the purpose of excersize.  It mean walks, romps, work, training, and keeping busy.  I can understand the required fenced yard some breeders insist on. 

On the other hand, just because a person doesn't have a yard doesn't mean they will be unfit parents.  It just mean the Newfie will spend more time in the house with you.  Be sure you won't mind the drool flinging that dries and cannot even be scraped off, and THE HAIR.  You've never seen so much hair in EVERYTHING as you will when you have a newf.  It will get into everything.  The hair is actually worse than the drool.  You will NOT get rid of all the hair even when you groom on a daily basis. 

You know what our newfies do in the home?  They lay in front of doors.  Usually the entrance door.  It doesn't matter how much room there is at that doorway.  It doesn't matter if you have 25 entryways to other rooms.  It's the entrance door they choose.  They sit their rears on your feet.  You could live in a Mansion and the Newf will still be on your feet. 

People have Newfies on boats.  THey just make sure their friend has plenty of excersize!!  Most boats have less space than an apartment. 

Just remember, you will have to be doing something with your Newf a lot of the day everyday since you have no yard.  Also remember, the hair and the drool.  Be prepared to eat toast, eggs and Newfie hair for breakfast!!  You'll probably be picking hair off of work clothes even though you try to keep them hair free.  Even plastic coverings will not keep the hair out!!!  Anyone who comes over to visit will probably end up unknowingly taking a fair amount of hair home with them!!

Those to be honest are the majority of complaints you hear from unsuspecting newfie owners.  Oh, and don't expect to have a clean house anymore!!  Clean, but riddled with newf signs!! 
Luvmenewfs

Offline bigpawsadmin

• Michael~
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Dog Chomper
  • This is Bear
    • View Profile
    • Website - www.michaelandjaime.com
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2005, 06:59:16 pm »
Ryen, I think like you man! Cha Ching!!!  lol.. So whats the story with the "stay at home dad" thing? haha.. I could live with that! Infact.. do you have room for me and my newf?? :)

Michael
Just trying to keep the bugs off the board!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2005, 10:01:52 pm »
Ryen, I think like you man! Cha Ching!!!  lol.. So whats the story with the "stay at home dad" thing? haha.. I could live with that! Infact.. do you have room for me and my newf?? :)

Michael

Jaba..... All I can say is, handcuff him to the stove lol....

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2005, 03:41:10 pm »
In thinking about your apartment...do you have wood floors?  These guys are so clumsy as pups, there should be non-slip surfaces (area rugs with rug pads are great!) wherever the pup is going to be wandering.  Little joints can be damaged easily!