Author Topic: Question about spaying?  (Read 9109 times)

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Question about spaying?
« on: November 03, 2006, 05:58:14 am »
Can a dog still go into heat a year after being spayed?
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess

Anakalia

Re: Question about spaying?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 07:47:09 am »
Hmmm I don't think that can happen, but I'm bumping this to the top, maybe someone else will be able to help.

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 07:55:53 am »
If the vet doesn't remove all the tissue, then sometimes they can experience something like a heat.  Not very common though.  Another explaination would be a urinary tract infection if you're seeing some spotting?
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 09:13:23 am »
I see very little blood. So its not like a normal heat to me. I had her spayed and then ended up finding out that the vet who spayed her was in trouble for a LOT of different things, one of them being not doing surgeries. he ended up in jail. If the female is spayed will the male still show a lot of interest in her. I found her and Moose "attached" last night. I haven't had Moose neutered yet and wasn't in a hurry to do it because both of my females were spayed. I have a phone call into our new vet and he is going to try to do a home visit for us. Because of Brody's past she stresses to the point where she gets really sick anytime we try to take her to the vet so he comes to the house for us. He said we might have to give her a pill that will calm her down and take her into the office for a bunch of tests. I'm stressing about this, and i'm scared. If the vet didn't spay her what did he do? What did I do to my baby by putting her through the "spay" and the pain if nothing was done. What do I do?
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 09:23:57 am »
I'm sorry I don't have any information for you but I wanted to tell you how sorry I am that you have to go thru all of this worry.   I hope your new and improved vet finds everything fine and that the old vet did the correct surgery just fine!!

Think of you; please let us know when you find out.

Randy & Harley

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 05:47:23 am »
The vet came out to see Brody yesterday, he said that she definately looks like she is in heat. He felt her stomach and stuff and said that he doesn't think she was ever spayed. ??? He said it was definately a spay incision but hes concerned. He gave me pills to give her this morning to calm her down and then I had to drop her off at the vets office for numerous tests. She was still stressing really bad when I loaded her up and headed towards the vets office. He said that he wants to do ultrasounds, and blood work. We should know more this afternoon. I'm soo scared for my girl, I can't believe I put her through this. I'm mad at myself for doing this to her.  :'(

Anakalia

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 06:36:06 am »
OH MY!!  I'm so sorry you're going through this, it's totally not your fault!  We TRUST our vets to do the right things. You're now getting her the care she needs, you're a wonderful mommy!  I can only hope your vet can get to the bottom of this and find out what's going on with Brody.  I'll be thinking of you guys, please keep us updated!

Kirsti

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 07:35:44 am »
I'm sorry you both are going througth this. What a mean vet for not doing what you payed him to do...You are in NO WAY a bad mom! You just trusted someone who turned out to be untrustworthy. .. which is really sad! I agree, I would sue... hope all go's well, my thoughts are with you today!

~K

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 09:35:59 am »
Well, Brody is home. She is really tired and cuddly. According to the ultrasound Brody was never spayed. The vet said that he doesn't see any scarring, or any other internal damage. He said that it is too early to tell if she is pregnant. He did a bunch of blood work but we won't know the results of that until next week. He said that the blood results should tell us if she is pregnant or not, and he wants to see her again next week as well. I don't know what I'm going to do if she is pregnant. I don't know that I could live with myself if I terminated the pregnancy, its just something that I have a hard time doing. but I feel bad bringing more puppies into the world. The vet that did this to her in the first place is in jail right now. But I filed a police report and my husband is going to go to the base attorney and see what he can do for us on Monday. I feel so bad for my poor baby. I want to thank you guys so much for the support that you have given me. I thank you for being there for me.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 09:51:45 am »
Oh my gosh - I can't believe that happened to you! That is terrible! I am glad you have a good and caring vet to take care of you, and I hope that the lawyer is able to help you sue that doctor (since he has already been convicted criminally, it should be easy to win a civil suit)
RIP former BPO