Author Topic: How to get info out of a byb?  (Read 3371 times)

Lyn

How to get info out of a byb?
« on: November 02, 2006, 02:55:37 am »
I've been in contact with Lola's breeder (I use that word loosely) since I was given her phone number. We also email back and forth. Getting information out of her has been a battle. :-\

Whenever I ask her a health related question regarding Lola's parents.. she replies with 'they are both healthy' and that's it.

Now I did go up there and meet Lola's mom and she seemed correct temperment wise to me.. and I didn't see any hip/joint problems. She relayed info about the mom without too much problem after we talked for a bit. I tried not to be accusing.. let me tell you it was hard to be all sweet and nice with her!

But when I ask about Lola's dad, I'm getting the run around. She doesn't own him, so I couldn't see him. So I thought I'd ask for a pic.. then start with the questions after that... Well she promised to send pics months ago.. never did.. So I emailed her lastnight hoping to spark up the conversation again.

I almost feel like she's hiding something about him.. If there is any health/temperment issues with him, I'd like to know. She's told me many times that Lola's looks more like her dad...

Any ideas on how I can get info out of this lady?. Other than kicking her butt. LOL

For those that don't know, I got Lola for free from a friends neighbour. She purchased Lola from this 'breeder', kept her for a week.. then pushed her off on me. We were actually on the lookout for a Newf pup but decided to take Lola home with us instead. So the newf pup will come later I guess. ;)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: How to get info out of a byb?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 02:59:19 am »
I tried getting info out of Teddy's breeder too.  "Yup, they're both healthy" - that was about as far as we got.

I wish I knew more but I guess I will just hope for the best.  Its not going to change anything really - maybe just make me look for problems that might not ever be there.

Good Luck Lyn - I understand how hard it is not to know!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 04:01:57 am »
Thank Penny.. :)

I think part of it all is because I didn't get to pick Lola.. I didn't get to see how she interacted with the litter and her mom. All I get to go on is what I was told by her, and I prefer to experience it first hand. I don't know maybe that sounds stupid. ??? Or maybe I'm a control freak in disguise. hahaha

This lady is a few fries short of a happy meal.. so even if I did get info out of her it would probably be bull anyway. :-\

Arg.. BYB's suck. LOL

Kirsti

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 04:19:04 am »
I agree, BYB's are hard to deal with... expesially if they do a go around health wize. I'm sorry I can't be  of more help, but Hopefully you will get more answers soon.

~K

BTW you are not a control freek in disguise, I totaly agree I would like to learn first hand too...

Offline GabesMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 05:18:25 am »
I can tell you we have numerous problems with Gabe. And the BYB told us that both of the parents were healthy. 

We got Gabe from FL (we live in Washington, DC) and he was shipped to us early (at 7 weeks) on 12/23 last year.  When I picked him up from the airport and got him home I noticed that he was ver wobbly and very disoriented.  I called the breeder to let her know that he had arrived.  And that he was wobbly.  She said it was because he had gotten his 7-way the day before and not to worry.

Over the course of the next week we all adjusted.  The wobbling got better and everyone was a happy camper.  On New Years Eve we came home for find our poor little guy coated in drool and foaming at the mouth a little.  I called the vet who said there was nothing to worry about he was probably stressed because it was the first time he was left alone.

As I hung up the phone with her I looked over and saw Gabe having was appeared to be a seizure.  I called her back and she told us to take him to the hospital.  Which we promptly did.  After we got home (thousands of dollars later) I called the breeder and explained the events to her.  At which point she told us it was an upset stomach and to give him yogurt to clear it up.

We have done so many tests on my little man; many trips to different hospitals for testing; it was determined he had epilepitic.  I called her again and explained the situation; she then told my husband and I she would give us our money back; needless to say we never saw it.

We ended up suing her for breach of contract in small claims; it wasn't the money it was the principle.

But she actually had the gall to use us a reference for her next litter.

But I feel you pain because every time we asked we were told both the parents were healthy and she had never had any other seizures in any of her other dogs and that it must be something we were doing.

Offline DoberBaby17

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 07:54:40 am »
I would probably just bring it up to the lady as "I love Lola, and I just want to know if there are certain issues that I should pay closer attention to... I'm just worried that I won't pay close enough attention to a certain symptom that I maybe would've been more concerned about if I knew there was a past issue."

Make sure she knows that you aren't going to demand money or return Lola or anything like that. You just want to be prepared. Make it sound like you're worried YOU might miss something. (wink, wink)
Stacy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 10:32:40 am »
Gabesmom, Sorry to hear about Gabe. :( How is he doing now? 

I'm still waiting for a reply from this lady. If I even get one now. It's been awhile since I talked with her last.

Doberbaby.. I have mentioned those things before to her. That's how I got the original info about Lola's mom. All sweet and nicey nicey talk. hahaha :D I guess I could try it again and see what other info she will give me.

I think I'm just tired of being nice... I have one of HER puppies.. and she feels the need to be all secretive. Drives me nuts.. I just don't get it...

Offline GabesMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 02:31:47 pm »
Lyn - He is doing so much better.  Thank you for asking.  I remember my husband and I standing in the Emergency Vet's Hospital when they handed us the estimate after the first seizure and we both knew that he was ours and we wanted to whatever we could for him (if you have ever seen a 6'4"inch big tough army guy cry over a puppy).

The first couple of months were the hardest with all of the growth Saints do.  But now that he has leveled out at a slim 162lbs it is much easier to manage.

It's funny because we have fostered a couple of other Saints with seizures now and I am constantly amazed by how many people won't pay for suce an inexpensive medicine.  His phenobarbitol is like 8 bucks a month.  It's a pill and I can had it to him and he will eat it.

Lyn

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 02:59:02 am »
Yeah I'm definitely lucky.. so far she doesn't have any health problems. Joint problems are a huge paranoia for me.

Tina, Lola isn't registered.. Lola's mom has no papers.. and I highly doubt the sire did either. I have no way to trace anything. :( All I know is that the fathers name is Sport. ::)

She has no website or anything of the sort. This is her first and last litter. I'm pretty sure she was spaying her because this litter cost her too much money. ::) I also found out she charged $750CAD a pup!! Oh what a deal. ::)
So I don't know how she lost money since she didn't even take the puppies to the vet for shots until AFTER I talked to her, then she took the remaining pups in, but they were 11-12 weeks old by then. ::)

She did no health checks.. took no phone numbers of puppy buyers. She never even took the mother to the vet during the pregnancy. >:( She did the absolute least amount possible.

I think I kinda screwed myself though because I gave her the you brought them into this world.. you need to be responsible for them speech. They need to go to the vet.. you need to socialize them.. shutting them in a room and feeding them isn't enough.

Lola was so un-socialized when we brought her home it was pathetic. She stuck to Bubba like glue and avoided us like the plauge. I worked my butt off to socialize her because this woman was a tool.

Ugh.. sorry I'm venting now. hahaha

Still no reply to my email and she hasen't returned any of my calls.

Offline TheUnSaintlySaintClan

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: How to get info out of a byb? (a little long)
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 05:25:28 am »
Lyn, I am so sorry that you have had to go through this hassle. I wish you luck in trying to deal with this BYB. I know how frustrating it is to try to deal with people who just stonewall. I hate to say it but you might never get answers.

I was "taken" by Simon's breeder whom we thought was reputable. She had a hip guarantee, the puppies got their shots, etc... However, after dealing with Simon's skin problems we know that there is no way she could not have known that her breeder mom had problems.

I have tried repeatedly to contact her by phone and email since we found out about Simon. We don't want money or anything...we just want acknowledgemen t that something was wrong. And I want to know that they aren't going to breed the momma again. I wouldn't want anyone else to have to go through this. Simon was so miserable and itchy for a long time. I felt so bad for him. Not to mention, we paid an extra $200 for full AKC registration to breed. Now we can't breed him. So all in all, we have lost a breeding male, paid around $600 just in treatment for his skin condition, and another $300 for his neuter. We would never give Simon up for anything, but this BYB has cost us much. Emotionally and monetarily.

Again, good luck in dealing with this woman. Just be glad that Lola is a healthy girl now.

"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich." ––Louis Sabin