Author Topic: Post Op care for the big snip...  (Read 3002 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Post Op care for the big snip...
« on: November 03, 2006, 10:13:29 am »
Teddy is VERY swollen (looks like he didn't have anything removed - LOL) and seems to be a bit sore.

Is there anything I can give him to help with the swelling or pain?  Should I take him for a short walk or just let him rest?
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline TheUnSaintlySaintClan

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Post Op care for the big snip...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 10:55:40 am »
My vet gave Simon Rimadyl for the pain afterwards. He also said that for the first day to let him rest. After that if he wanted to play, let him as long as it wasn't causing him discomfort.

Give Teddy our love...hope his swelling goes down soon!!! I know that must be uncomfortable.
"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich." ––Louis Sabin

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 01:20:37 pm »
please i beg you dont give rimadyl or how every you spell it. So many dogs that i have trained have died do to kidney and liver failure of useing this medicine for a week.... If it is a must..please protect the liver and kidneys with milk thistle!!! PLEASE
Lauren, Jazmine (great dane)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Shirly and baldamore (geckos)
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Oh yeah.. my pet.. Matt (hubby)
Our pets are all above

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 01:46:44 pm »
I would just le him rest. I would keep him relaxing on his bed for a day or two with something to chew on
RIP former BPO

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 03:42:34 pm »
I wouldn't  give anything for pain at this point,Unless there is a great deal of pain,I agree with our vet that,discomfort,even a little pain,mother nature kinda tells them to lay low and rest.

This is a very temporary pain,and while we don't like to have our guys in any pain.It is better than druging them when they will be OK without .

This to shall pass.

Tricia and the fur kids

Anakalia

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 04:13:29 pm »
Awwww poor Teddy!!  You've gotten a lot of great advice, I just wanted to say, hope the big guy feels better soon!

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 01:19:24 am »
Well, he's feeling well enough to chase the cats this morning so I guess he's on the mend!  LOL!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline TheUnSaintlySaintClan

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 08:51:29 am »
please i beg you dont give rimadyl or how every you spell it. So many dogs that i have trained have died do to kidney and liver failure of useing this medicine for a week.... If it is a must..please protect the liver and kidneys with milk thistle!!! PLEASE

Oh my gosh...I had no idea!!! The vet told me it was for pain, so I thought it was ok. I only gave him one the day he got home. The next day he was practically his old self. Thanks for the heads up!! I now know to not blindly accept meds just because they're given.
"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich." ––Louis Sabin

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 10:10:23 am »
please i beg you dont give rimadyl or how every you spell it.

It is absolutely true that rymadil can damage the stomach and/or liver, but you must keep in mind that the same can be said about all anti-inflammatories. Even when we humans are taking tylenol, aleve, advil, etc, we are risking the side effect of liver damage. But sometimes, a person or a dog might be in so much pain that it is worth the risk of side efects. You must weigh the benefits with the possible side effects in order to make an informed decision. As long as you research the medicine, do preliminary screenings, and blood tests are used to monitor side effects it is absolutely possible to safetly administer pain medicine to dogs. A good article to read is the FDA's article "Pain Drugs for Dogs: Be an Informed Pet Owner" - http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2006/506_nsaid.html
RIP former BPO