Author Topic: Are spots on a black tri aussies nose permissible?  (Read 6453 times)

Offline strawberywine755

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Are spots on a black tri aussies nose permissible?
« on: March 28, 2006, 04:16:21 pm »
Does anyone know if spots on a black tri aussie permissable in show and if I were to breed her should I not breed her with a merle? Does this indicate merle in her to closely? Should I breed her with another black tri instead or a red tri?  I don't want any "deadly merles".

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Are spots on a black tri aussies nose permissible?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 05:28:25 pm »
You won't be breeding her till she's 18 months to 2 years old, so there's plenty of time to see if her nose goes totally black. If you know what colours the dogs in her pedigree are, this will give you a far better indication of what genes she is carrying than anything else.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 06:29:22 pm »
the breed standard would state whether spotted color is permissible on non-merle dogs.

Senghe is right, your pedigree should show if your dog carries any merle in her at all.  It looks like you will need to do a bit more research before any breeding is done, so I would hold off until you have all the answers you need.   :)

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 06:21:58 pm »
spots on the nose is called a butterfly nose, and it does not mean that the dog has too much merle in her. i would breed her to a dog with a strong history of black (or liver for reds) noses. if you really want her nose to go black, and you don't think it will on it's on, feed her dried kelp everyday. read your breed standard before you breed (and don't breed until you know it by heart) the akc australian shepherd breed stanard says "Nose--Blue merles and blacks have black pigmentation on the nose (and lips). Red merles and reds have liver (brown) pigmentation on the nose (and lips). On the merles it is permissible to have small pink spots; however, they should not exceed 25% of the nose on dogs over one year of age, which is a serious fault."

hope this helps! Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007