Author Topic: Raw diet??  (Read 5178 times)

Offline kenthunder2

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Raw diet??
« on: November 07, 2006, 09:41:34 am »
I have been talking to different Newf breeders and some are recommending feeding the B.A.R.F. diet (all natural). Does anyone have experience with this diet? Good, bad? Expensive? I would really appreciate any input.
Thanks,
Kent

Offline kenthunder2

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Raw diet??
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 03:59:41 pm »
Thanks for the info. I will check it out. The diet seems like alot of work to prepare. Then trying to figure out the suppliments is another problem. Isn't there a pre-mixed natural diet available to make this diet more user-friendly??!!
Thanks again for the help.

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 05:37:35 am »
I have to admit I feed my lot a complete diet, but I add cooked chicken, mince, cheese, tuna, sardines or scrambled egg to it! And any of our left overs.

I don't like the idea of feeding raw meat to mine, but that is mainly because I have one who has a very sensative stomach! And I also worry that I wouldn't be giving them all the vitamins and minerals they need.

I am happy with the way mine are fed, and Molly is over 10 years old and still looks and acts like a 2 year old, so I must be doing something right mustn't I?!!! ;)
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 07:32:28 am »
I just put my dog on raw diet about 3 weeks ago. It doesn't take long time to prepare meals and it's sure better for your dog then feeding kibble.
I have done a lot of homework before changing. Here is what I feed my pup:
meat (chicken, beef, lamb, etc.), bones (beef necks, turkey necks, beef ribs, chicken drumsticks, etc.), veggy glop (my dog hates it but without it her poop is too hard), raw eggs and cottage cheese sometime. I give her Vitamin E and fish oil every other day, Kelp and Alfalfa mix every day, and add some apple cider vinegar to her water. She loves it and looks great!
Let me know if you have any questions

"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline kenthunder2

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 08:24:36 am »
Thanks for the help. Is there a book that has very specific recipe's in it. If I decide to do this, I will need precise recipe's since I am new at this diet. I will be feeding it to my Newf puppy, who will be about 9 weeks old when I get him next month.
Thanks again for the help.
Kent

Offline Energypaws

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 04:08:27 am »
What? No Volhard Diet?

Volhard can be easy if you do NDF.  It's a dry supplement mix already made up and ready to be added to raw meat.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 07:49:11 am »
I feed my Newfs a fresh cooked diet since when Cowboy was on raw, he ended up with parasites :P.  Since I've started cooking, they both have awesome coats and are completely healty ( a plus for my Landseer, Cowboy who has epilepsy and a very sensitive stomach!).  We use a prepared rice formula that is complete after you add a pound of meat.  Here's their website:
www.cocoscanin ecuisine.com

I also add an egg every couple of days and calcium powder and enzymes and either 'Dreamcoat' or fish oil.

Good luck with your puppy and I'd LOVE to see pics as soon as he arrives!!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 08:12:59 am »
newflvr, how long does one bag of the coco's cuisine last you?
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 08:16:17 am »
newflvr, how long does one bag of the coco's cuisine last you?
I make up two bags of rice with two pounds of meat and it feeds two adults Newfs for 5+ days @ two meals a day.

They both HATE, H A T E kibble and there is never any hesitation about gobbling it down.