Author Topic: how to pick a puppy?  (Read 7101 times)

Offline vnwees

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
how to pick a puppy?
« on: November 10, 2006, 07:23:35 am »
In 9 days my husband and I are going to pick a puppy (English Mastiff) from a litter (a reputable breeder). We've had 2 large breed dogs--a Mastiff/Great Pyr/Lab mix, Yogi, who passed away after 10 1/2 wonderful years in '05. Most recently a sweet, funny Landseer Newf, Chester, who sadly passed away at 1 yr. old.

These beloved friends had come to us, but now we must pick one and I'm not sure how to go about selecting one. There are 4 males to choose from.

Any advice/suggestions?
Thanx, Vicki

Offline 2dogmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: how to pick a puppy?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 07:26:02 am »
I always go for the one that I cant take my eyes off of. When I picked Nova last month, she just wouldnt take no for an answer. Or, you could go for the first one that comes to you. Trust me, you'll know...or he will tell you.

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 07:32:25 am »
Ask the breeder about the individual temperaments.  They will likely know which pup is the wild thing, which one is laid back, which is dominant, etc. 

http://www.tiarapoodles.com/temperament.html

This link shows some things to think about and possible tests to do with the pups.  Imagine what your ideal adult dog is and look for those traits in the pup.  Good luck and have fun! 
Daphne

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 09:05:58 am »
I agree with everyone else about having the breeder guide you.  They've been watching them for weeks and have probably figured out personality traits of each.  The Monks of New Skete have a couple of wonderful books on dogs that can also help you make up your mind!

What a fun quandry to be in!!!

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 08:59:43 pm »
i always make it clear i match pups with the proper family, i also make it clear, that, when they meet the pups it is just one or two visits, not nearly enough to get to know them all, the breeder lives with the pups daily and studies the dynamics and personality of each pup.
i do tell them if i have two alike, they can choose between them than, but, otherwise we should be the ones to match pups with the proper family.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

List

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 03:10:08 am »
My fiance and I are getting a puppy as well, but the breeder is the one who will make the final decision on which puppy we'll be taking home. The puppies won't be here for awhile but   I trust the breeder to pick the best puppy for us. We put in a preference but who knows we might end up with the complete opposite, which is fine by us.

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 06:57:47 am »
I prefer the breeder to pick. I wouldn't be able to choose.

It's funny though I always seem to attract the most dominant pup in a litter. Not sure why though.. maybe I appear easily dominated?! ??? LOL

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 07:23:37 am »
I agree that most breeders are in the position to know personalities of each pup,but not all breeders are the same.
I would make it clear to them what you are looking for.

Personally,the joys of picking out the pup,has so many levels that I let my heart and gut and circumstances make the decision.

The breeder will also be able to tell the reactions of the pups to you as well.

It is magical no matter how it is done,and you will know.And so will the pup.

Tricia and the fur kids