Author Topic: grooming help  (Read 6579 times)

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
grooming help
« on: November 11, 2006, 01:53:53 am »
Webster has managed to get some good size knots of hair between his back legs in the "tender" parts.  He is NOT going to let me work on getting them out, not even with scissors.  Is benadryl a good way to may him sleepy so I can get this part of grooming accomplished.  If so, how much.  He is about 150 pounds.
Karen

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: grooming help
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 07:03:36 am »
I don't know about the Benedryl, but I usually groom the guys as I'm watching TV late-ish in the evening with they are almost comatose anyway.  I use the big mat removing comb that has really, REALLY sharp teeth and the comb just breaks up the mats so they can be just pulled out.  My comb has about 7 blades and you run the smooth end up against the skin and then just gently wiggle back and forth letting the blades do the work.  They don't seem to mind in the least and it's also the same time I trim their feet  :P

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 07:24:02 am »
I'm not sure about the Benedrayl either but Bear used to be really scared of me doing his inner thighs close to his "area". I would ease into the area by singing him a calm song (a very lame made up song which is so out of tune, but he likes it) and he was so relaxed by my voice that I could do it gently- VERY GENTLY. Eventually he grew out of being scared but I still sing to him when I get to that area just to set his mind at ease. Oh yah, the song is also used any time he is tense and scared of something.  :)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline ozzysma

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 09:24:24 pm »
i usually take ozzy for a real good walk and tire him out first.  there is a thing called cowboy magic you rub in, it is amazing at helping get out mats.  patti

Offline TheUnSaintlySaintClan

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 11:18:07 pm »
I agree with Patti. A good long walk can do wonders. I have to do that before I clip Simon's nails. Otherwise I can't do it by myself.
"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich." ––Louis Sabin

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 06:59:46 am »
Thanks for all your help.  I really don't like using meds.  These are just big knots matted up close and all of a sudden.  Webster gets brushed at least every other day, but he picks up lots of briars and brambles and sticktites when we walk the fields.  I guess I just missed these and they have made a mess. Patti, where would I find cowboy magic?
Karen

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 08:08:35 pm »
i sent you a PM be careful with cowboy magic, it attracts dirt, personally i have a bottle of it, i dont care for it anymore.
it leaves a yucky feel to the coat, and dirt just sits on the coat.
it does work though, but, it would be better if you got yourself a MARS COAT KING the 18 blade course from thegroomersmal l.com
after you clip out the matts in the privates with a clipper.
find someone with a clipper that knows how, or, make an appt at a groomer and tell them all you need is that, nothing else and see what they say.
heck i would do it for you if you lived closer... :)
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 05:11:13 am »
Thanks sarnewfie.  I tried again last night, but he is just too jumpy to let me do it.  Even after a long walk, singing and wooing, etc.  I just made the appt for a Thanksgiving day grooming.  85 bucks... whoooo.  It is with the groomer that did Hightower for me when I was showing him, so I know she will do a good job.  I will just have to be even more diligent after these walks.  He runs with my goldie, but Riley never gets the sticktites like Webster does.  Thanks again for your help and suggestins.
Karen