Author Topic: Information on Newfies  (Read 7268 times)

Offline Tanya

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Information on Newfies
« on: November 12, 2006, 09:43:58 am »
Hello All;

I have recently begun reading and researching dogs to get for our family...One that stands out is the newfoundland, I went to see some at a breeders on Friday, but I still am unsure...
I need to know more about the shedding, drooling, do they shed non stop like a golden retriever?  Or is it more a certain time of year shedding?  Also, the drooling I realize it happens more when they are hot, but is it non stop in reality?
The other comment I had is that I have a large home with lots of carpets (hence the shedding ???) but also with a woodstove for heat?  Would this be to hot for this dog?

Thanks for your help
Tanya

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Information on Newfies
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 12:19:40 pm »
I have two Newfs and yes, the shedding is pretty much non-stop.  The drooling depends on the individual dog.  Some Newfs I've seen have to wear bibs because the drooling is constant.  My two drool when it's hot, when their food is being prepared and when they drink water.  Otherwise, they are fairly dry-mouthed.

As far as temperatures, as long as I'm comfortable, they seem to be comfortable.  The most important thing is that they want to be with you 24/7.  Ours sleep in our room next to our bed (and the windows are open...so we have flannel sheets and down comforters in the winters!! ;)) but they are happy.  In the summer, we're in the air conditioning during the day and really curtail activities until it's cooler.

They are a fantastic breed of dog, but not for everyone.  If you worry about the neatness of your house, think about another breed.  There WILL be fur-tumble weeds and drool on the walls and ceilings.  But you will NEVER, EVER have a better companion!

Try to find the very best breeder you can because there are lots of health issues with the breed.  If you need more info., look at the threads on Newfoundlands.

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 01:45:25 pm »
Fur tumbleweeds! lolol.. Newflvr is right on all accounts. Newfoundlands shed all year, the only change is twice a year when they REALLY shed, and thats known as blowing coat. We had carpet at our last place and we broke 3 vacuums I believe. Now we live in a loft with concrete floors and sweep just about every day; it's all fur! Our Bear drools quite a bit, primarily when eating, drinking, or hot. Those times alone are enough to make some pretty uncomfortable, and then others love it. We've only had experience with one newf, but I can say anything over 80 degrees is starting to get warm for Bear. A wooden stove, he'll start panting and showing obvious discomfort. During the summers - the air conditioning is usually on full 24 hours a day. The winter, we warm the place just enough, or just let him out.

If you can get past all of that, he or she will be the greatest companion. We will likely always have a newf around.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 08:04:46 pm »
Tanya you need to be around them more than just one visit per breeder, if i were you i would try to find the local kennel club, ours is $$$$ county kennel club, we live in the town that is the same name as our county, so most kennel clubs are set up that way, try to find out, or try to find a real busy training center, ask the people if any newfs come in there, and than try to visit with them when the class is done.
you really cannot be a neat freak, they are very hairy, lots of grooming, lots of training, they are a THINKING problem solving breed and boisterous as youngsters up to the 3 year mark,not by any means the bear rug that is described on the internet.
thinking dogs need to be trained, and more than one class, you need to make sure you have the time, do you have small children?
a lot of breeders wont sell to someone with infants or toddlers, simply becouse newfs get so large and many people forget to watch interraction, and newfy butt can knock child over.
there are many other reasons.
your breeder should be your COACH and you should respect the knowlege that is coming your way, and follow the guidlines, becouse without that knowlege, you may not succeed in bring up a healthy puppy.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline Tanya

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 11:49:17 pm »
Thanks to those who replied, I am sooo unsure...I do have a small child, she is a 4 year old daughter and I also have a miniature poodle.  The dog would be my companion for walking, we camp at a campsite all summer but I do not like to walk in the woods very far alone because of all the bears, I like the comfort of a dog with me.  As for children, does the breed love children like they say on the internet?  THe websites only give great reviews...As for visiting any obedience classes I cannot, we do not have any here and it is because where I live is so isolated, but I do have friends that have a Saint Bernard, I could always visit there a few more times and see how I feel.  Are they trainable for people that do not have access to obedience classes ??? Man oh Man, making decisions like this is difficult...as for a neat freak that I am not, but I am not crazy about dog hair, would you say they shed as much or more than a lab or golden retriever? :'(

Thanks so much for your replies, I just really want to make the best decision possible for my family and the new puppy, I would hate to get something that I would not want after a while...

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 12:25:47 am »
Hi,

Newfs are wonderful with children, but they are big, 100lbs at less than a year old, so a 100 lbs PUPPY needs to be supervised around a 4 year old, just because of their size.

They shed more like a long hair golden than a short hair Lab. They Shed all the time and tumbleweeds is not an exageration of a description. They drool and THEY PLAY WITH THEIR WATER Bowl. By nature they love water and will stomp in puddles and drip water and drool everywhere. Worse when drinking or hot but they drool, even the dry mouth Newfs Drool, did i say 100 lbs as a puppy so even a little drool is more than you are expecting.

So that said, They are the most loving gentle sweet dogs I know. All that drool and water and weight is insignificant to the love and joy a Newf will bring to your family.

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 12:29:00 am »
They shed like a golden....but remember how much larger they are!!  A large golden is 80 - 90 pounds.  A Newf is usually at least 120 pounds (usually closer to 150!!!) so there is that much more fur!!!

As far as loving children, as far as I know it's absolutely true.  Every place we go (and I take them with me!) kids are drawn to them and we've NEVER had a bad reaction.  That said, if you look at the Newf thread here, you'll see a couple of people have had problems, but that's the exception.  Your daughter MUST be trained as well as to how to treat a dog and how to recognize when a dog needs its space. 

I have trained my dogs myself and it hasn't been a problem.  We have a dog playgroup that we hang out with for socialization, and as I mentioned before, they go everywhere with me so they can get used to as many people and situations as possible. 

I also walk my dogs in the wilderness near our cabin and I do feel very comfortable that they will warn me of dangers.  In walk the streets in Southern Calif., they also give me a sense of security:  when asked if they will bite/attack, I always answer "No, not if they feel I'm not threatened."  It's amazing how many people will step back!! ;D

It sounds like you may have heaven-on-earth for a Newf, and it's great that you are doing your homework first!!!

Good luck with your search!!

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 09:06:54 am »
My first newf practically raised my four kids from the time they were aged 2-10.  (now 18-28) He watched over them, protected them and played with them.  I now have another newf and a golden retriever.   I think the goldie sheds more all the time, the newf sheds in clumps.  I vacuum every other day just to stay ahead.  The goldie is a wonderful dog.... but I had to have another newfoundland.  I just can't imagine life without one.  Like sar said.... they think, they figure things out and though they don't acually speak words, they can carry on a conversation just by motions and facial expressions.  Maybe they aren't for everyone...but those that don't have a newf are missing out on a lot.
Karen

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 09:28:31 am »
Anna is our second Newf, and we also have a lab/rottie mix (Sheba).  I'd take the Newf shedding over the lab/rottie any day!  At least you can see the tumbleweeds.  With Sheba, it's just hidden everywhere.  We also have carpets throughout our home, so regular vacuuming is a must.

Our first newf, Barkley, was a droolaphobic's nightmare.  He could fling so high we're still wiping it up in places six months after he left us!  He was definitely not for the weak of stomach - our reality was that if you visited us, you got a hug and a towel when you entered :)  He topped out at 154 lbs, and was indeed a big floor mat.  Awesome with kids of all ages and stages, and gentle as all get out.  He was a rescue and came to us somewhere between 1 and 4 years of age (we were never sure).

Now Anna is a whole different story!  She is dry mouthed as yet - we haven't seen much drool at all - no more than other breeds I would say.  But it's possible that Barkley just makes her look really good...hard to say.  She sheds a bit more than he did.  She is 10 months old and weighs 91 lbs already.  I would not leave her unsupervised around any child that weighed less than her.  Our two are 9 & 11, and big for their ages, so can hold their own.  She is very boisterous, and loves to play.

We have also had very high success with training both of these Newfs.  Barkley was completely voice controlled and went everywhere off leash with us - and we were never worried.  Anna is not there yet, but she is getting much more voice controlled. 

They are a commitment, for sure.  This is not a pet that you can bring into your home and expect that it's not going to change the way you live a bit.  Their size alone will do that.  The other thing that I have noticed about every Newf I have met is that they all have incredible personality and character, and that sometimes brings adventure.

But it's a life change that I wouldn't swap for an instant!  You just have to be very aware of the commitment involved.  Good luck with your decision, and may I also say thanks for taking the time to be so thoughtful about your choice.  It's better to decide no from the onset if you're having doubts. 
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Nicole

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 11:02:01 am »
Ok...so I have a Newf X. He's hairy...only drools when hungry or with that last drink of water...which ends up in your lap.

The hair is too much for many people that visit us. I brush him EVERY DAY and its still ubiquitous. However, my American Bully shed more. I mean,his hair was EVERYWHERE, too. And it was shorter, so it seemed to weave itself into the carpets, couches, my clothes, etc.

I could go on and on and on and ON about Cabeza's sweetness. He will tolerate ANYONE and will allow small children to lead him, pet him, crawl on him, etc. That dog should SERIOUSLY have wings. He is the most incredible dog that has ever graced our home.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 08:00:07 pm »
You really need to socialize any puppy you get, and yes newfs love children, but, they do not come toyou already trained, there is a lot of work that goes into owning a newf, and, if you are that isolated, you might want to call around to find out if anyone in your locale has a newf,go visit it in the house, esp on a rainy day, they bring in dirt, leaves, grass clippings into your house, they drool, they drink water and leave a trail of water across the floor, you do not go slipperless or shoeless in a houe with a newf! LOL
they are very attentive with the right trainer, and any time with the toddlr MUST be supervised as it should be with ANY Dog, training has to be done du to the Thinking nature of the newfoundland dog, they are problem solvrs and do get into trouble if they are not walked and trained and properly socialized, right now i would say no, until you get more experience and exposure tothe breed itself.
read the breed standard at the newfoundland club of america website, read about the breed, there, instead of the descriptions on the internet.
the BREED STANDARD is where EVERYONE should start.
:)
not to discourage you,but also to encourage you to do more homework before you jump.
a puppy is for the lifetime committment.
As far as grooming? a high velocity DRYer is a must!!
every newf owner should have one, and if they dont, a trip to agroomer who does use one on them, and every 6 to 8 weeks.
Photography by Christine

Offline Tanya

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 05:33:26 am »
Thanks to all who have replied, after visiting some newfs at the breeders and talking to all of you and doing more reading I am going to have to say I am not quite ready for a newf yet...the size intimidates me a bit...I am not sure if I would be a best trainer and cannot put my poodle in harm (even though it would not be intentional, just puppies are puppies) and she is more my daughter's than mine and her being hurt would break my daughters heart...and I know myself that I would not be able to handle any over abundance of drool or water all over the floor, I am not a neat freak, but I am a little crazy!  As for the shedding that was not the big breaker, it was the drool...so I think I will start with a golden (the hair will blend into my carpets lol...), thanks soo much for a your help and advice and if I am still fascinated with these dogs when I no longer have carpets, small children or a small dog I might look into it again.

Tanya

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 07:56:34 am »
That sounds like a good decision for you!!  Any time you need a bit of Newf craziness, just check in here!  We'll all be happy to supply it for you!!

Congrats on your decision!!

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 10:11:25 pm »
Julie, good luck with your new pup to be! i am sure as time goes on, if you do run into newf people in your area, you can ask if you can visit them and casually so. ;)
your decision on a golden is great, goldens want to please and live to please their owners, what better way to start! make sure the parents have good temperaments! :)
read the breed standard on the golden to, so you are well educated on them, i would assume it is the golden retriever club of america or something to that effect.
Photography by Christine