Author Topic: Obedience????  (Read 13139 times)

Offline mgcsold

• Ankle Biter
  • Zachary Thomas 1 year old.
    • View Profile
Obedience????
« on: March 21, 2005, 07:22:33 pm »
Hello everybody....

Hope all are having a good day.  I am posing a question and here it is.....

How many of you Doggie Parents have had formal Dog obedience training for you and your dogs?

If you did have such training was your experience good or bad?
Please explain your answers if you can.  Please do not mention specific companies or names.

What things do you think the instructor could have done to make your experience better?  Once again please no specifics...th ank you.

Thank you for whatever information you decide to share

Christi
I just want this information to help me further my education on how to become the best instructor I can.
my dog is my best friend, he listens when no one else will and licks away my tears....you can not lie to your dogs they can see right into your soul, and they will love you no matter what they see there.

awo

Re: Obedience????
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 07:30:47 pm »
Hello christi,
   When we got Dudley, we elected not to get formal training for dudley because we had both been around dogs are whole lives.  So we did all the training ourselves and if we had questions, I had another group online.  However, I'm an animal welfare officer and see animals everyday that don't know the basic commands and it makes my job harder.  The only advice that I give you is to make sure people know when they get a new animal that they should get training if they dont' know how to do it themselves.

awo

Offline mgcsold

• Ankle Biter
  • Zachary Thomas 1 year old.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 07:36:07 pm »
Hello christi,
   When we got Dudley, we elected not to get formal training for dudley because we had both been around dogs are whole lives.  So we did all the training ourselves and if we had questions, I had another group online.  However, I'm an animal welfare officer and see animals everyday that don't know the basic commands and it makes my job harder.  The only advice that I give you is to make sure people know when they get a new animal that they should get training if they dont' know how to do it themselves.

awo

Thank you, I too did not get formal training.  I have been, ever since I can remember, the family dog trainer.  So between that and the fact I have been studying to be an instructor...I trained and still am training Zach.  I appreaciate the tip and you can bet I will be advising exactly that....
my dog is my best friend, he listens when no one else will and licks away my tears....you can not lie to your dogs they can see right into your soul, and they will love you no matter what they see there.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 07:42:36 pm »
We took Bear through 3 levels of obedience and loved every minute of it. He is our first dog together & as grown ups so we wanted to do everything right. Plus, we met so many cool people there that it was totally worth it for us & him.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

dohertyswissy

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 03:43:14 pm »
Like Bear's family, Ranger is my husband and I's first dog.  He is 5 months old and we've just taken him through the "puppy kindergarten" obedience class.  We intend on taking him to at least one more class..if not more.  I thought that it was a great experience for all of us.  The one thing that I would've changed is the instructor giving us more information on her methodology and the progression of the class, just so we'd know what to expect the next week.  A little more detail on the "homework" would've been good too.  Our instructor was very patient and was sure to take personal time with each family, especially those who were having more difficulty getting it.  I was very impressed by that and think it was an important component to the class' success.  Also, puppy socialization time was great too and not just for Ranger... too much fun watching all the puppies play together!  Hope this helps!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 06:54:51 am »
Samson has been through 2 puppy classes already & will start adult classes this spring...I loved the puppy playtime at the end of the classes & I loved that they taught all positive reinforcments instead of the old "choke & drag" methods which I wouldn't have put him through anyway...One thing I didn't like is that, because I listened & did everything they said I had a few problems with Samson when he his about 7 & 1/2 months...I did have to resort to using the Alpha Roll a few times which they did not reccommend...B ut, the problems I was having alleviated after doing such...I am just thinking if I used this when he was 3 & 1/2 months old it would have been much easier than trying to roll a 7 & 1/2 month old dog...What I am saying is that I would never in any way shape or form abuse my dog but with some dogs like my Pyr I think maybe a little "letting them know who's boss" goes a long way...I hope nobody gets upset with this but I truley believe if I'd used all positive reinforcments Samson would not have been a dog we could keep.

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 07:07:04 am »
I agree with you totally. It hasn't been as issue with my babies to date. But the best trained dog I have ever met belonged to a freind of an old boyfriend. Starting from a puppy he used that method with his dog (I can't remember the breed, but very big and commanding looking, like a German Shep.) He never hit his dog and they were very obviously in love with eachother, but if the dog needed it he would roll him on to his back, climb on top of him and growel. It worked wonders with this dog (and each one is different). But Zeuse was perfectly mannered and always listened to his human. The dog amazed me. We spent a summer working in Bar Harbor (coastal town, seasonal, drinking....yo u know the type of place!) and Eric could go into a shop or bar and tell Zeuse "stay here, be good and don't leave with anyone unless Kathy comes to get you" and he would do just that. The dog knew who he could go with and who not to... I thought he must be some kind of super dog, smarter than most. Turns out it was a combo of the right breed and great training.
It wouldn't work for all dogs, but if it works for yours than it's right. I don't believe in hitting dogs, or kids for that matter.... but sometimes you have to let them know who is in charge in other ways!
(though I admit that I did pop my dog on the nose for biting me once. ONCE, and she hasn't done it since)

Vicki

Offline nettrek4

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Bonnie Collies
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 08:13:48 am »
  I do all my own training, having bred collies for 25 years I have lots of expreience.  Collies are so smart, they should probably be training me, perhaps they are and I just don't know it!  I will use the "roll" technique on the older pups if necessary, and it does seem to work.
  There are a couple of things that I do to teach the smaller pups not to bite people (in play, or course) that some might not aprove of.  When I feel any pain, or even just feel the teeth on the skin, I shout a loud angry "NO" instantly and then stand up and stop playing or petting.  Most of them will catch on after a week or so, they know that it makes me angry and it deprives them of my companionship.
   If that is not effective, I sharpen up my reflexes and then, the instant I feel the teeth, I tap the pup with 2 fingers, lightly, on the head right between the ears, just to get their attention.  This is accompanied by the NO and the stoppage of play or petting.  Another option is to hold the pups mouth shut for about 30 seconds while you scold in an angry voice.  Usually some combination of these things will work in a week or two, if you are consistant and patient.  I feel it's better to teach the pups this BEFORE they go to new homes, then they don't get in trouble with their new family.
    And I don't think it's abuse, you have to let them know that you are the alpha dog, you are angry, and biting people is a no-no.  The bigger they get the harder it is to control the action, it is so deeply ingrained as time goes on.  So start very young, be consistant and firm, they will learn.
        Marcia P. and the Bonnie Collies
Marcia P. and the Bonnie Collies

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 09:09:07 am »
I love your black & white Collie!...My sister's collie pup, Chopper the devil dog looks just like that!...Sammy has gotten some sharp finger raps across the snout for biting & then time outs in his crate...He rarely trys to put his teeth on us anymore...I would have LOVED to do only positive reinforcment as I feel like a big meanie when I have to be firm with him but there truly was no other way no matter how hard I worked with him & he was getting WAY too big for his britches! :(

GR8DAME

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 09:39:46 am »
We have always taken our dogs (dobies and danes) to the same trainer, he is very well known in the area, and also the head trainer in the children's zoo in a fairly famous zoo in our state. I've seen him handle ever breed from teacup poodle to our own danes and he is wonderful! Plus the classes are in a group situation, so they are wonderful for socailization and control. Although I am sure I am capible of training on my own, I enjoy getting out and bonding with my animal, and I think they enjoy it also.
Stella

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 10:13:47 am »
I have taken both my Shilohs to Obedience classes starting with puppy kindergarden, then Family dog 1 (basic obedience) rather than going on to family dog 2 obedience, I decided to go to an "open" class every wednesday night. I love this class & hope that people realize that obedience does not stop at sit, come, stay. We learn so much more, marking, scenting & all the formalities of obeidience showing & we keep up on socialization skills.
It's really hard to practice at home all the time, my house is small & its hard to give individual attention, so when I train at home its 2 dogs at a time. In my house everydays a "training day".
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline dnalong

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2005, 11:20:46 am »
We've taken all of our dogs through advanced obedience classes and Baloo, our 2YO Ridgeback, even earned his CGC certificate at the end of his last class. We've had 2 dobies (one passed on in March :'() and now a second Ridgeback, and although we do train them at home starting at 8 weeks - have found that the dog socialization in a controlled environment is invaluable. It keeps us on task as well ::)
The trainers we've gone to recently are all about positive reinforcement for the dogs and absolutely no hitting or negative "reactions". When the dog doesn't listen, you simply ignore them until they do what you've asked - they pick up on it pretty quickly as they really do want to please you  :)
And we've had to "alpha-dog" all of them from time to time, as they are incredibly smart and sometimes very stubborn - so they get rolled onto their backs and made to stay there until they give in and relax. Have found that it's important for both of us to do this so the dogs understand that we're head of the pack, so to speak.  
As soon as little (not for long) Zula gets all of her shots - she gets enrolled in puppy class.

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2005, 10:14:50 am »
We take our Kuvs to kindergarten when pups and obedience as they get older. Aidan will be going to the next level in the fall.  Beauty will go as well.  We love socializing with htem, I feel its important for them.  I could train at home, and do a fair amount of that already but I enjoy the classes and so do they.  I like positive reinforcement, but sometimes a litte more is necessary a tap on the nose, holding the nose, etc.  I like to use treats and lots of praise for initial learning, then later just lots of praise, treats occasionally.  I do wish the classes were a few times a week instead of just once.  
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 10:18:38 am by kildeskennel »
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson